Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Graf Zahl

PrBoom+/UMAPINFO v 2.5.1.7

@Graf Zahl Will Episodic format for Doom 2 be available in future. TheMightyHeracross posted the UMAPINFO for Eviternity above but he said it doesn't work.

Might as well just get this example WAD out before I go to bed even if it's not exactly "later today" like I promised. Here's my base resource WAD stripped down about as bare as I can make it. "UMAPINFOBugExample.wad" is the main WAD here; it's without "Episode = Clear", but there's a separate WAD file in the same ZIP file (with the not-at-all-longwinded filename "UMAPINFOBugExampleAddon_EpisodeEqualsClear.wad") whose only lump is a copy of the UMAPINFO with "Episode = Clear" added, which you can load after the main WAD to force that line's presence. This way you can see that the episode selection isn't working in either case, but the difficulty selection also breaks down when "Episode = Clear" is present.

There's some GZDoom bugs exhibited in this sample WAD too, but I'll open tickets for that on the relevant forum tomorrow.

20190617_UMAPINFOBugExample.zip

31 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

@Graf Zahl Will Episodic format for Doom 2 be available in future. TheMightyHeracross posted the UMAPINFO for Eviternity above but he said it doesn't work.

Of course it will be available, it's probably just a minor oversight in that convoluted menu code that went all the wrong way implementing the differences between Doom 1 and Doom 2.

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

I wouldn't call it "bonked". It's roughly 20% slower when I tested Frozen Time, i.e. 27 fps vs. 34 fps in 1920x1080. And that map's probably the worst case scenario out there. For comparison, ZDoom's software renderer manages less than 10 fps on the same map.

The main problem here is not the MIDI players but the cheap-ass sound interface SDL provides. GZDoom uses OpenAL as its backend which isn't a primitive raw stereo buffer but an actual 3D sound API with good support for modern standards and a professional quality mixer.

TBH, the only way I see to 'fix' the sound would be to rip out the current sound system and put in GZDoom's, but that's not only a huge undertaking but also would require quite a bit of work on the resource management and introduce a large amount of C++ code into the project (don't even think about backporting that code to plain C, that's simply not possible - it makes full use of polymorphism and abstraction.) and that seems to be sacrilege if some people were to be believed.

I actually haven't checked, it may even use an older version from 2.5.1.4.

Thanos for the info.

Definitely not the case of using the SDL from 2.5.1.4. Just checked the archive and there's SDL2 libraries insine.

2.5.1.4 is SDL1. Which is good because if 2.5.1.4 and other SDL1-based ports are of any indication, that would have meant borked mouse support on newer Windows versions.

To be honest I would f*cking love to see Hexen support in the future, and a better sound system, but that's understandably well out of the scope of the project for the time being.

6 hours ago, seed said:

To be honest I would f*cking love to see Hexen support in the future, and a better sound system, but that's understandably well out of the scope of the project for the time being.

Eternity Engine has a better chance of implementing Hexen support in future. Heretic is 95% working (beatable from start to end) in Eternity dev builds and I believe Hexen would be next.

Do any of you get the issue with this version of PrBoom+ when you exit the game the game will go into a windowed mode and freeze there for around 5 seconds before the window closes?

No. When I quit it shows the ENDOOM screen and when I click into that it closes immediately.