Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Eternal takes place in id multiverse?

Looks like there's officially now slipgates in Eternal. I've long since assumed (and wanted) that we would see a multiverse between the series, especially considering the attempts at such in Q3A and QC and that we've seen weapons and subtle hints of lore and characters pop-up in between more recent titles, but seeing that slipgates now appear to play a specific function in DOOM that seems a certain that Quake and it's rangers exist within it somewhere (which is plausible... if space marines force, then why not a special rangers force?). Of course there was always that Billy Blaze was the grandson of BJ and who may or may not have been related to DOOM guy. It's always been suggested to an extent.

I suspected in DOOM 2016, intentional or not, alot of the lore and had similarities to Heretic, as if there were hidden references to Corvus and possibly even the Serpent riders. Even some of the map nomenclature seemed to be similar (d'nur/dome of d'sparil). Possibly it was a precursor to the events of DOOM only many ages prior.

Probably thinking way too much into this. But I'm certain i'm not the only one.

62137644_2523892147635492_7616367674678837248_n.jpg

I for one am not happy with the idea of merging id universes. I already hate it when people say that Wolfenstein, Keen and Doom are the same universes. I am okay with small subtle references here and there, but nothing more than that.

Just now, ReaperAA said:

I for one am not happy with the idea of merging id universes. I already hate it when people say that Wolfenstein, Keen and Doom are the same universes. I am okay with small subtle references here and there, but nothing more than that.

So if it was one grand story that ties it all together... wouldn't be the least bit interested in seeing how?

I... have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I am not surprised to see this happen with the new games' universes, it was more or less a matter of time, but I have no idea how exactly are they going to tie each game.

9 minutes ago, seed said:

I... have mixed feelings about this.

On the one hand, I am not surprised to see this happen with the new games' universes, it was more or less a matter of time, but I have no idea how exactly are they going to tie each game.

I've thought about that myself and actually it seems like it could piece together quite well if done right. Especially Heretic's being a precursor to DOOM. Quake... well, some of the technology is there, but other than that, the Rangers are probably out fighting their own battles either in parallel or prior to/after DOOM. Maybe slipgates were the militaries advancements on the UAC's teleporters. Maybe it was experimental technology that went wrong so they canned the slipgate project after all the interdimensional shennanigans. Maybe a teleporter isn't working thus Slayer has to use a old decommissioned slipgate from a bygone Ranger era to get back to where he needs to be. Maybe a slipgate's instability is the only way to get to certain places where a commercial UAC teleporter cannot. Maybe Slayer uses it to go back in time to warn his younger Marine self of the coming onslaught and then goes back into Hell to fight for all eternity while his younger self stays to protect Earth. Who knows! Anythings possible!

Edited by Buckshot

7 minutes ago, Buckshot said:

So if it was one grand story that ties it all together... wouldn't be the least bit interested in seeing how?

I will probably not like it. I am not saying its impossible, but there are 99% chances that it would turn out to be bad

Just take the Wolfenstein/Keen/Doom combined universe example. In this universe, B.J is Keen's grandfather and Keen is Doomguy's father. These are three franchises are vastly differnet from each other (especially Keen having nothing in common with the other 2). I mean how come Keen and Doomguy belong to the same universe. The entire setting, atmosphere is different. I just cant imagine them to be in same universe.

I am pretty sure the original id devs only did this stuff as a joke. They never cared much about plot. But for some reason, some people took it too seriously.

Afterall, in map 32 of doom 2, we kill 4 Keens. Does that mean doomguy killed his father 4 times!!! (how cruel 😱)

I'd like to see a level or two of Doom Eternal take place in some Quake settings, just to gauge interest in a full return, and have any Quake sequel ignore the larger multiverse.

Don't go out of their way to tie them together, in other words.

20 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I am pretty sure the original id devs only did this stuff as a joke. 

I am certain of this as well. Though, if today's gamers and dev's take it seriously and want to interconnect it, even if it was originally intended as humor, I'd rather see it done in a very elaborate and well-thought manner than pieced together in a haphazard way. If done correctly, it can be done very well. 

Even though it was done as more a joke in the past, it's become part of each games history now. Almost canon in certain respects. May as well play it out and use it to advantage where it can be.

22 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I will probably not like it. I am not saying its impossible, but there are 99% chances that it would turn out to be bad

Just take the Wolfenstein/Keen/Doom combined universe example. In this universe, B.J is Keen's grandfather and Keen is Doomguy's father. These are three franchises are vastly differnet from each other (especially Keen having nothing in common with the other 2). I mean how come Keen and Doomguy belong to the same universe. The entire setting, atmosphere is different. I just cant imagine them to be in same universe.

I am pretty sure the original id devs only did this stuff as a joke. They never cared much about plot. But for some reason, some people took it too seriously.

Afterall, in map 32 of doom 2, we kill 4 Keens. Does that mean doomguy killed his father 4 times!!! (how cruel 😱)

Well, the connection between Wolf, Doom and Quake (3) has always been somewhat consistent. Tonally, Wolf and Doom aren't -that- far apart, and there are even some subtle nods to each other in the current games (my personal favorite being how the AR in Wolf has the modular rocket launcher, akin to a bulkier version of the HAR's missile pod). 

The only real odd-ball in this whole thing is Keen, which was always more of a Saturday morning kids adventure kind of deal. It's a little pointless IMO to try to force it in, but not inconceivable depending on what angle you want to take. Personally, I always thought of Keen as being Billy's daydreaming and nothing more. 

Of course, at the end of the day, the "connection" matters only as an incidental detail that you may hold as important or completely irrelevant, depending on your taste. Ultimately, I'd chalk it up to how people insist that Conan and Lovecraft's stuff are in the same world; it's a cool prospect that can be fleshed out, but ultimately is just food for thought if you want it. 

I'm open to the idea of an id multiverse if the concept can actually be executed well, but I'm guessing it's probably there for the sake of fanservice??

There's not captivating world building for any of the individual universes to begin with, the new Wolfs being the closest to an exception I suppose.

Like someone else said, I think the less seriously they take it the better.  Just references for a nod to history, a bit of fun for the old-timers.

Nazis, demons, the Strogg, Lovecraftian horrors and Keen? So, so, so, so unlikely to be more than the sum of its parts.

If there is an id multiverse, then this is in it too:

Rip and tear your guts on it.

39 minutes ago, Marn said:

I'm open to the idea of an id multiverse if the concept can actually be executed well, but I'm guessing it's probably there for the sake of fanservice??

Well sure, everything they do is fan service. None of these universes are "real". They exist and are fleshed out to the precise degree the company makes shit up.

25 minutes ago, Gez said:

If there is an id multiverse, then this is in it too:

Rip and tear your guts on it.

Ugh... you know, it's not like I even have a personal association with the Keen series or anything, but good grief, the art style in that is just painful. Those do not look like interesting or even remotely appealing characters, they look like the type that are meant to be annoying in a show....

21 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Ugh... you know, it's not like I even have a personal association with the Keen series or anything, but good grief, the art style in that is just painful. Those do not look like interesting or even remotely appealing characters, they look like the type that are meant to be annoying in a show....

I feel same despite not having played any Keen game in my life. Weird, isn't it?

And getting back to the multiverse topic. Since this mobile Commander Keen game is a thing now and it has Keen's children as protagonists, does this mean that......

*cough* *cough*

..... the male protagonist is a younger doomguy.

Spoiler

giphy.gif.f4f7b5239026cc70826489e1bc5fd1ed.gif

I am fine with it if it is connected through the 5th dimension.

Wolfenstein, Rage, Quake and Doom all have their own timeline that would contradict each other if made into one.

1 minute ago, ReaperAA said:

I feel same despite not having played any Keen game in my life. Weird, isn't it?

And getting back to the multiverse topic. Since this mobile Commander Keen game is a thing now and it has Keen's children as protagonists, does this mean that......

*cough* *cough*

Reveal hidden contents

Ok, I was all on board for multiverse until this observation.

Why did you do this.

WHY. 

2 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

*cough* *cough*

Hide contents

Look at it this way.... it would mean that this wretched son of Keen WENT TO HELL WHERE HE BELONGS AND LEARNT A THING OR TWO.

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

*cough* *cough*

It'd be hilarious if adorable kid Keen up there would have occasional eye twitches and show a simmering violence right below the surface of his happy face.

"Great brother! We cleared another level!"

"Yeah, rip and tear sis!"

"What...?"

I doubt it would be a multiverse, rather a spiritual merging of elements of the id classics with a Doom coat of paint. But yeah, one of the snake like enemies reminds me of the ophidians from Heretic and I get massive Quake vibes from this.

The only official link is between Commander Keen and BJ Blazkowicz. Anything else is non-canonical bullshit imo, including the RPG series.

You guys do realise you can have a one-way multiverse?

Most multiverses are two-way multiverses. What's true in franchise A is also true in franchise B.

But you can also have a one-way multiverse. Where franchise A connects to B, but franchise B does not exist in franchise A. And in reverse, here franchise B connects to A, but franchise A does not exist in franchise B.

Example, Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000. Both franchises use Orcs/Orks, Goblins, Elves, Dwarves(RIP Squats) and Chaos Demons. I don't know if that's allowed anymore, but in the past, players with Chaos armies could access a very limited Warhammer 40,000 armoury, like power weapons and bolt guns. But Warhammer Fantasy and Warhammer 40,000 are still different franchises.

Basically, the Quake universe that connects to Doom isn't the Quake universe we know. The Doom universe that connects to Commander Keen is not the Doom universe we know.

19 hours ago, Linguica said:

Well sure, everything they do is fan service. None of these universes are "real". They exist and are fleshed out to the precise degree the company makes shit up.

I like when Hugo Martin does his own shit. Then makes his team do that because that guy really can't do any wrong other than ruin some points of useless nostalgia while keeping all we love. The reason we love doom 2016 is because of him probably so I'm open to whatever childish giddy idea he has.

1 hour ago, RightField said:

I like when Hugo Martin does his own shit. Then makes his team do that because that guy really can't do any wrong other than ruin some points of useless nostalgia while keeping all we love. The reason we love doom 2016 is because of him probably so I'm open to whatever childish giddy idea he has.

Hugo is awesome. As I've met him in person he's one of the most chill, engaging and friendliest people you'll ever meet. Truth be told, I was actually aimlessly wondering around QuakeCon a couple years back. All of a sudden I hear someone shout out my name, and I turn around and there's Hugo waving me down. Now... I do help manage a Facebook group of a reasonable size dedicated to DOOM and it's social community on FB, and we knew some of the id guys sometimes would interact and answer questions with folks there (also equally awesome), but I was never expecting they recognize me if I walked past.

He was standing there with a bunch of other folks from Id, kind of look like they were about to head out to somewhere, But he still stood there and talked to me and my wife for a good few minutes. I didn't really want to hold him up too long and I'm very nervous person when it comes to talking to people in person (I suffer from anxiety and severe agoraphobia, in fact it took a lot of effort for me to even get to QuakeCon and visit id software to be honest), But the fact that he took time out of his busy schedule and recognize me really meant a lot to me.

But I would also like to say Hugo is a just a piece of a bigger whole. There is so much talent on that team, And from how I perceived it everybody was equally involved with the success of DOOM today... They all contributed. I got to meet many other folks from id, even people who basically been there since the beginning. Donna Jackson I had an hour long discussion with in the id lobby, Tim Willits I gave a fist bump and a small thank you as well as to Marty Stratton, even met Jessica from HR (who is humorously referenced in Doom 2016). And especially Jason O'Connell, the principal designer of Doom 2016's Hell levels, who was actually the one who invited me there and I consider a good buddy of mine. Also, Pat Duffy, who is a senior UI engineer (though he moved from id to Bethesda a couple years back)... that dude is absolutely awesome and has helped me with quite few things (though have not met him in person). And let's not forget Andrew Hulshult, the dude behind a lot of the recent game soundtracks today (dusk, amid evil, rad Rodgers, brutal Doom) and even Quake Champions. He was cool as fuck, even introduced me to some of the New Blood team.

There were so many more from both Bethesda and iD that I met along the way, unfortunately I can't remember them all by name, but every last one of them was awesome and enthusiastic as you could imagine. I would encourage everyone whom gets the chance to meet them to do so. Youll gain deeper understanding to just how much blood, sweat and tears they put into these games, how much they love doing it and building something together, and how much they appreciate us.

This is off topic but I wanted to give credit where it's due.

Having a Quake secret level in Eternal would be kind of neat. There should be plenty of assets from QC that can be ported across.

On 6/11/2019 at 10:08 AM, ReaperAA said:

They were already merged... Blaskovitz is Keen's daddy is Keen's father or something like that. I also assume the arrow to the knee easter egg in Doom 4 came from Skyrim which comes after Fallout.

I thought Quake 3 Arena kind of confirmed that.

23 minutes ago, geo said:

They were already merged... Blaskovitz is Keen's daddy is Keen's father or something like that. I also assume the arrow to the knee easter egg in Doom 4 came from Skyrim which comes after Fallout.

If u guys accept that B.J is Keen's grandfather(or father) and Keen is doomguy's father. Then would u also accept this:

22 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Since this mobile Commander Keen game is a thing now and it has Keen's children as protagonists, does this mean that......

*cough* *cough*

Reveal hidden contents

Would You?

I hope not. That would be super lame. Instead, I hope it takes place in all of the Doom timelines meaning Doom 1 to Plutonia, Doom 64 and Doom 3.