Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Buckshot

Eternal takes place in id multiverse?

7 minutes ago, bpeterson said:

Uh, wow, then you must *really* hate the actual developers then :P

I don't hate them since they did all of this as a joke/easter egg. I only get annoyed by those who take these easter eggs too seriously and actually want to see more of the universes merging. I just think that multiverse is a bad idea. Thats all.

18 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

I don't hate them since they did all of this as a joke/easter egg. I only get annoyed by those who take these easter eggs too seriously and actually want to see more of the universes merging. I just think that multiverse is a bad idea. Thats all.

They weren't joking in the tweets I cited. Well, maybe the bit about the skipped one being a newscaster, sure, but the rest of it there was no indication of it being intended as humourous.

Somehow I doubt that the particular Commander Keens seen in Doom games (Doom 2 or the helmet-on-skull cameo in the new-fangled one) are from timelines where he fathered the Doom protagonist, however. :P

I've always assumed Wolfenstein, Doom, Quake 1 & Quake 3 all existed in a single universe, even if I would prefer they didn't. Return to Castle Wolfenstein had several references to Heretic & Hexen.

Wolfenstein (2009) built on those references much further and eluded to them existing in the same universe but hidden behind a veil. It also had BJ chasing Deathshead (a character introduced in Return to Castle Wolfenstein), with him escaping yet again. Finally, in Wolfenstein: The New Order, there are even more references to Heretic and you kill Deathshead. The Wolfenstein games have not been entirely consistent but they're close.

Doom had no apparent connection until Quake 3.

Quake 1 merged fantasy (Heretic & Hexen) with science fiction (Doom). Quake 3 kind of blew the doors wide open with the interdimensional "angel" master, the Vadrigar, pulling entities out of their own timelines and into his own for his amusement in the arena.

Doom (2016) features several elements from Heretic, Hexen & Quake, while also simultaneously picking up from about where Doom 64 ended. Doom Eternal looks like it is fully merging Doom with the Quake 1 & 3 universes, with additional allusions to Heretic.

I don't like the idea of bj, keen and the doomslayer being related either which they can't be considering that doomslayer is another being from a completely different realm but I could imagine that doom 2016 plays some millenias after the wolfenstein games and even quake champions being kind of another realm of this universe. The new kommander keen is really just a mobile spinoff, I don't know how much you guys like it but the original really doesn't appeal to me much more either since it's just a platformer.

You also have to remember that these new games are reboots so the original games have nothing to do with the new universe and in the original it even made more sense for them to be all related since they're all just comical self aware jokers anyway.

On 6/11/2019 at 11:08 AM, deepthaw said:

If there is an id multiverse, I just hope it means we get a real successor to Quake 1, strange purple castles and lovecraftian crap and all. 

Absolutely. A Quake 1 revision would be awesome. 

I remember hearing that Whiplash could resemble Ophidian from Heretic because of his Snake like design.

I wonder how much of Heretic and Hexen can Doom Eternal reference when Activison doesn't even remember that they own those series and has Raven Software doing something else.

I know that id Software owns the publishing rights of those games too and said games are already strongly related to id's games due to a lot of reasons.

2016 and Eternal have a tonne of Quake content, so calling those big portals slipgates is no surprise really.

I wrote this whole thing on just how much of Quake is in 2016/Eternal, maybe check it out: 

I've seen comparisons to Heretic and Hexen but what about Strife?

That game's theme was like a mix of medieval and tech and that sort of describes the setting of the Night Sentinels.

There's also the stuff with some cultist figures.

22 minutes ago, whatup876 said:

I've seen comparisons to Heretic and Hexen but what about Strife?

That game's theme was like a mix of medieval and tech and that sort of describes the setting of the Night Sentinels.

There's also the stuff with some cultist figures.

Strife is a bit further than Heretic/ Hexen though. iD was at least somewhat involved in Heretic/ Hexen by way of directly helping Raven out with the tech, where as, as far as I know, Strife was a completely unrelated team that simply bought the rights to use the engine. 

1 hour ago, thewormofautumn said:

Has anyone seen hints of other id games in Eternal?  Not anything in the Fortress but in the world itself 

I mean, there's the dopefish in the Cultist Base level...

4 hours ago, Linguica said:

Ha sorry I meant meatier than that thanks :)

it'd be cool to see story elements somehow tied to the multiverse. If it’s just Easter eggs, that’s something tongue in cheek.

I'm not sure I'm open to an id universe at all, even though "universes" are the in thing at the moment.

I call myself a huge Doom and Quake fan, and I liked Hexen a lot, but I've tended to steer absolutely 100% clear of anything Wolfenstein-related, as I just don't like that part of their work.

10 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I'm not sure I'm open to an id universe at all, even though "universes" are the in thing at the moment.

I call myself a huge Doom and Quake fan, and I liked Hexen a lot, but I've tended to steer absolutely 100% clear of anything Wolfenstein-related, as I just don't like that part of their work.

I loved "New Order" and "Old Blood" but couldn't finish "New Colossus" too much cover, too much head bobbing and those cinematics were too long and cringy...
Also you can't realistically tie the new ones to the old ones since recent games deny existence of paranormal stuff despite Wolf3d having ghost hitler and "Spear of Destiny"'s last boss being a demon that appears when you touch the spear of destiny(christian relic).

RTCW had an undead king and og zombies i mean...
Yet they tried to tie the three timelines. The way i see it, the more you connect stories, the less room they have left to expand.

On 6/14/2019 at 4:59 AM, thewormofautumn said:

There are hints of the id-verse in Rage 2.

Plus the Authority are almost the Strogg anyway.

In Eternal, Australia is clear of demons and Rage 2 looks like it's in Australia...

I always though of quake 1 as a retelling of doom but on another universe. Ranger is an alternate version of doomguy, the monsters from quake are the demons and shub-niggurath would be the equivalent of the icon of sin/the mother demon.

2 hours ago, Deimos said:

Wolf3d having ghost hitler

That enemy type is very explicitly said to be a complete fake, a remote-controlled puppet hanging from the ceiling, meant to deceive and surprise spies, assassins, and other infiltrators.

Hitler isn't even dead yet when you meet them.

15 minutes ago, Gez said:

That enemy type is very explicitly said to be a complete fake, a remote-controlled puppet hanging from the ceiling, meant to deceive and surprise spies, assassins, and other infiltrators.

Hitler isn't even dead yet when you meet them.

Thanks but i didn't mean ghost is the sense of dead. Spear of destiny is still paranormal tho.

25 minutes ago, Deimos said:

Spear of destiny is still paranormal tho.

Yeah, Angel of Death, Ghosts

Though mutants were paranormal too...

On 6/11/2019 at 7:08 AM, ReaperAA said:

I for one am not happy with the idea of merging id universes. I already hate it when people say that Wolfenstein, Keen and Doom are the same universes. I am okay with small subtle references here and there, but nothing more than that.

I think it has less to do with merging universes and them just finding a name they liked for the portals. The use of slipgate started popping up around Doom3 IIRC. Of course, once the cross over of terms is adopted, it probably won't be long until they try to retcon a multi-verse theory. I am personally not a fan of the single storyline approach of connecting all the Dooms together either. Not that I have a problem with the games themselves, just the story idea.

On 4/6/2020 at 8:16 PM, Linguica said:

Not to mention the Apophis asteroid-shattered moon in the intro sequence from RAGE, Keen's skull/raygun/helmet, and all the other nostalgiac easter egg through backs and unlockables in the DoomSlayers man cave areas.

It's all very loosely "connected" and with a lot of inconsistencies, i think it's more a case of having the sense of visiting id's world when you pop up one of their game than having a solid universe per say. A bit like mad max movies, which are more of a campfire tales compilation about a legendary dude and not a straight canon...The games leave room to each other and pay homage.

2 hours ago, Deimos said:

It's all very loosely "connected" and with a lot of inconsistencies, i think it's more a case of having the sense of visiting id's world when you pop up one of their game than having a solid universe per say. A bit like mad max movies, which are more of a campfire tales compilation about a legendary dude and not a straight canon...The games leave room to each other and pay homage.

I believe it is exactly this.

14 hours ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

IIRC they were in-game Nazi creations, not something natural/supernatural.

Yeah but it's pure mad science, so it counts as paranormal.

15 hours ago, 𝕲𝖗𝖊𝖊𝖓𝖙𝖎𝖌𝖊𝖗1 said:

IIRC they were in-game Nazi creations, not something natural/supernatural.

I seem to remember something about them being super natural from the SOD manual

here it is, can't believe I remembered that XD

hczV46X.png

30 minutes ago, xdarkmasterx said:

I seem to remember something about them being super natural from the SOD manual

here it is, can't believe I remembered that XD

hczV46X.png

Wow i'm really missing out by not reading this kind of things. It's even more creepy now (in a good way)

I haven’t read this thread completely but so much of DE felt like Quake 1 successor in a good way that I hope they tie them together. And I’m glad that someone else picked up the slipgate terminology usage.