Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mammajamma

Zenimax shilling Doom Eternal in other companies' games?

We're in the midst of Doom's 25th anniversary and Doom Eternal is coming up in late November, hence Zenimax/Bethesda is dubbing 2019 the year of Doom. At the same time, a lot of Doom fans (not really much here, but on other places like 4chan, reddit, or Something Awful) are speculating that Doomguy's going to be a guest character in two games; Super Smash Bros: Ultimate and Mortal Kombat 11.

On the one hand, it kinda makes sense from a meta-historical stantpoint; Ultimate is being kinda marketed as an all-star line up of video games, and Doom is right up there with Super Mario Bros., Pac-Man, Street Fighter II(Ryu/Ken), Final Fantasy 7(Cloud), and Dragon Quest(The Hero, announced earlier today) as among the greatest games ever made. On top of that, Doom and Mortal Kombat were the poster children of the video game violence debate of the 90s-early 2000s, and the main reason along with Night Trap that ratings systems like the ESRB, PEGI, and the old RSAC were established.

On the other hand, Doom's practically associated with blood and guts and guns, and a lot of people would be baffled by him being in either. Quite a few people think you couldn't fit Doom's intense gun-based gameplay in an E10+ rated game like Smash, and I'm not sure how you can implement a gun heavy fighter in MK11 without him turning into an OP zoner like Deadshot in Injustice 2.

Do you think Bethesda would actually do it? Doomguy has a small history as a guest character, after all, being in the PC port of Tony Hawk 3.

With some creativity, anything is possible. Melee combat has been always part of Doom series dna. With MK11, the iconic chainsaw could be easily the main focus and shotgun could work nicely with it as support. Smash Bros is more unlikely but could be done, especially if Doomguy would use mostly fists and plasmagun. Doomguy doesn't need blood and guts to be the Doomguy so those could be just ignored completely for Smash Bros.

What @banjipixel said. 

Given that we've seen The Punisher in Archies and other kid friendly things, it's not -that- much of a stretch for Doom Slayer to show up in other things. Heck, he already practically has a chibi form (the collectible figures). 

All in all, it's just silly fun, no harm done and nothing to read into. 

Also, he does kind of fit into MK. Berzerker death punch / chain saw and now a sword? Sure, why not... 

2 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Super Smash Bros: Ultimate

Hell No Ultra violence is too much and Ed boon and The people of doom are cool with the DoomSlayer being on mk11.Maybe doomguy(not the Slayer but classic doomguy) could fit into smash

55 minutes ago, DoomedSpartan said:

Hell No Ultra violence is too much and Ed boon and The people of doom are cool with the DoomSlayer being on mk11.Maybe doomguy(not the Slayer but classic doomguy) could fit into smash

That's the thing. Doomguy (or the Doom Marine) would be great for Smash, there'd be a heavy emphasis on Doom's fast run-and-gun gameplay and ideally you'd use guns as a zoning tool and then use rushdown melee to eliminate other fighters. As a bonus, controlling Doomguy in Smash may sort of feel like if Quake 3 utilized 2d platforming. The Doom Slayer in MK11 on the other hand, would represent the rip and tear ultraviolence that defines Doom, with fatalities, brutalities, and fatal blows being a combination of glory kills and creative weapon usage.

Doom is known for two things, its gameplay, and its violence. Doomguy in Smash represents the gameplay, Doom Slayer in MK represents the violence.

Edited by mammajamma

3 hours ago, mammajamma said:

Doomguy has a small history as a guest character, after all, being in the PC port of Tony Hawk 3.

And in the secret room inside the church in Duke3D E1L3 :)

As sweet as it would be, a feeling in my gut tells me that Doomguy likely won't be in Smash any time soon, as Nintendo remains quite picky about managing the company's brand and image to its target markets and Doom never fit neatly into the Nintendo vision despite popular games appearing on multiple platforms. Snake and Bayonetta (after some sanitisation) were definitely edgy picks by Nintendo's standards but Doom firmly lives inside a universe of 90's tastelessness, gore showers and questionable religious imagery that doesn't have any clear intersection with the Nintendoverse.

And if the Waluigi debacle tells us anything, it's that being a highly popular fan pick for addition is the worst way to actually get in the game.

On the other hand Doomguy for MK makes instant and intuitive sense, everything about the core Doom tone and philosophy being totally compatible with MK. Despite the different genre those games were really cut from the same cloth.

Remember Doomguy has the Doomblade, the Crucible and the Chainsaw. He has plenty of melee tools, he can work in a fighting game with enough creativity.

In my personal opinion MK11 would be the best fit, due to the ability to incorporate more abilities into one character and the ability to cram in-game Glory Kills into Brutalities.

Violence aside, the idea of putting Doomguy in Smash makes me wonder about just the entire presentation:

Trailer, character render, music selection, icon, stage, moveset, used designs and looks, easter eggs, details, spirits, assist trophies etc.

Considering how some characters, specially the two Belmonts, can have some amazing treatment, i fear if Doomguy is just there as an ad for Eternal than feeling like a celebration of his series.

Specially when Doom fans managed to have cool projects that i guess someone could learn a thing or two from.

I mean, Doom 64 is something that i think should be referenced in a crossover like Smash and for more reasons than just being tied to Nintendo history.

If Doom is just there to represent Eternal, that they don't really tackle on other games, it'd be like putting him in PlayStation All-Stars: Battle Royale.