Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

No Traditional Multiplayer

https://www.pcgamesn.com/doom-eternal/deathmatch?amp

Executive producer Marty Stratton says: “no traditional multiplayer mode. Batte mode is our primary multiplayer mode.” Battle mode was revealed at publisher Bethesda’s E3 presentation. It’s an asymmetrical mode pitting one player as the Doom Slayer – the gun-toting campaign protagonist – against two others as demons. “The cool thing about it is it’s ripped straight from Doom; it’s the combat players want and love. You’re familiar with the gameplay, playing as a slayer,” Stratton continues.

This was something I was wondering about since we hadn't seen any footage, and I'm disappointed in the result. I really wanted some kind of traditional deathmatch; I honestly loved the MP in the last game even if there were some modern choices like the two weapon limit.

In the meantime I finally have a PC capable of playing Doom 2016 so I'm enjoying getting my ass kicked starting from scratch.

Here's hoping they add it down the line though.

Bring MP back! Deathmatch with loadouts and Arena mode with no loadouts, something for everyone. I personally like loadouts, as soon as you spawn you’re ready to smash, it’s glorious. 

Not too suprised, what with all the work that went into Quake Champions snd the 2016 multiplayer updates. So like with Snapmap, they'll stay legitimite at least since they don't reappear. If that makes sense.

I'm pretty excited about Battlemode, to be fair, and I'm under the assumption that Invasion is still a thing. I'm in the mood to form a clan devoted to hunting that Slayer down - the SSSSS Squad. For I am a reasonable Doomhunter, and like Robotnik with HIS hovertank, I too strategize with mercenaries and marauders to nab Sonic I mean doomslayer!

It's actually comparable to an idea for coop I had for FPS in general, but it had multiple good guys and ONE 'DungeonMaster' player who was like a miniboss player who could place down demons beyond what the map already provides via spending resources he earns.

Lastly, this apprals to me because it reminds me of how in lazertag in real life I'd verse like 5 ppl at once! So I'd love to see how both sides play out here.

Edited by ShadesMaster

You would think they would have a death match at least.

Ah well I don't care about the multiplayer gimmick.

I just wanna say: "go f*ck yourself, Bethesda". Canceled my preorder.

As has been said in multiple threads... this comes as no surprise except to the very most hopeful of us. 

Quake Champions is the most obvious reason for this. Simply put; Doom deathmatch would invalidate the entire point of Quake Champions. Minor mechanical differences here and there notwithstanding, there are way too many similarities between Doom multiplayer done right and Quake: 

- Traditional, map control based gameplay

- Combat based around speed and movement over cover and defensive strategy 

- Techno-gothic visual style to the maps and characters

- Many weapons and powerups are common between both series (arsenals are virtually identical). 

Add to this the overall cold reception of Doom 2016's multiplayer and the community demand for a focus on single player... yeah, most saw this coming a mile away.

Every really good FPS game has a competitive MP. Look at Halo and CoD - they has no problems with traditional multiplayer fun.

It's all about money. Cheap shit.

They probably wanted to keep the Competitive Multiplayer thing for QC, I only tried the MP a couple of times but I remember the most active mode being Team Deathmatch, it was a struggle just to find regular FFA sessions compared to TDM, probably because it was unpopular and the low population it had was scattered around over 7 game modes.

Maybe they'll bring Classic Deathmatch back eventually if there's enough demand for it.

Im not biggest multiplayer fan but I had a ton of fun with 2016's MP so I'm a bit gutted. 

I hope the story expansions will be enough to fill the void.

While Quake Champions is the game they've made exclusively multiplayer, I think Doom is the game that people want to play in general. Quake 3 arena players might argue with me, but there are more Doomers than Quakers.

Didn't they pull snap map too? It will be interesting to see the longevity of the game. Chances are they have all the data they need from the previous.

While I super enjoyed the campaign, trying to go back through it was just a struggle to enjoy and I found more enjoyment digging  through snapmaps and multiplayer, but that's me. Everyone has their own opinion.

Pretty disappointed to be honest. I mean im not blind, Doom 2016's multiplayer was slightly above average at best with a lot of people not caring for it, but it had the potential. Remove load outs, perks, 2 weapon limits, and add: weapon spawns, 3 to 4 weapon wheel, increased movement speed, maps with their own unique soundtrack, and add a over the top announcer like quake or Killer instinct and you would a have a much better multiplayer experience. I pray to god they add it down the road, I really do.

Edited by MrInternational

2 hours ago, qdash said:

Every really good FPS game has a competitive MP. Look at Halo and CoD - they has no problems with traditional multiplayer fun.

Could you elaborate on this?

This is an interesting stance to take- removing multiplayer is "all about the money?" Multiplayer games are the most guilty of greedy game-as-service practices by a long shot. If Bethesda wanted to be greedy they'd be better off making a more typical MP mode and adding season passes, etc. If anything this lessens my fears of the new Doom being filled with paid shit.

11 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Could you elaborate on this?

This is an interesting stance to take- removing multiplayer is "all about the money?" Multiplayer games are the most guilty of greedy game-as-service practices by a long shot. If Bethesda wanted to be greedy they'd be better off making a more typical MP mode and adding season passes, etc. If anything this lessens my fears of the new Doom being filled with paid shit.

^ This so much.

MP is notorious for greedy/predatory practices these days (lootboxes, MTX, cosmetics, so and so on), they would have most definitely not removed traditional MP if they were in fact greedy, considering how easy it is to make people pay for shit. Additionally, considering the poor reception of D2016's MP (which allegedly got better with updates and DLC) as well as people's repeated demands for more SP content, it really should not be any surprise they canned this thing altogether. Hopefully the new MP is going to be better, but I personally couldn't care less about it even if it turns out to be a massive pile of hot garbage, it's no longer a game component I have any interest in nowadays.

28 minutes ago, geo said:

While Quake Champions is the game they've made exclusively multiplayer, I think Doom is the game that people want to play in general. Quake 3 arena players might argue with me, but there are more Doomers than Quakers.

Didn't they pull snap map too? It will be interesting to see the longevity of the game. Chances are they have all the data they need from the previous.

While I super enjoyed the campaign, trying to go back through it was just a struggle to enjoy and I found more enjoyment digging  through snapmaps and multiplayer, but that's me. Everyone has their own opinion.

They did, and honestly... I highly doubt it's absence will have any real effect on anything. Years later, I have yet to see anything of note coming out of that feature. Yes, I know there is that one city level that was demo'd in a YouTube video, but that's one of comparatively few examples of real, detailed custom levels. It doesn't help that the search UI for SnapMap maps is horrid beyond any use. 

It was a nice idea on paper, but in practice, it never lived up to what it was meant to, so I can totally get why they don't want to bother this time. 

As for how there are more Doomers than Quakers, perhaps this is true, but that absolutely won't push Bethesda publishing to encourage active competition between two of its own releases. 

Unfortunate (or not, depending on where you're coming from), the best way we're likely to get "Doom Eternal Multiplayer" is a QC deathmatch in which everyone is playing Doom Slayer. 

Mind, I personally wish Eternal did have a DM mode, but yeah, I can understand why it is the way it is. 

3 hours ago, qdash said:

Wolfenstien TNO, TNC and Rage 2 are waving frantically in your general direction!

Joke aside, I personally don't think MP is as critical, depending on the game being made. Heck, for most of the shooters I ever bought, I never touched their online components (partially because living on the other side of the world means nightmarish ping).  In fact, there's a good number of shooters that either didn't have online play at all, or had really, really bog-standard-to-the-point-of-irrelevance multiplayer.

- Half Life 1 and 2 both have deathmatch and team death match.... that maybe all of 100 people in the world actually played for more than ten minutes.  In fact, as I recall, Half Life 2 didn't even ship with traditional multiplayer; Counter Strike: Source was pushed as it's online component.  Which is a curious thing to consider, as it would mean that essentially, Quake Champions will be to Doom Eternal what CS: Source was to HL 2.... 

- Aforementioned Wolfenstien games

- Does Dishonored count? 

- S.T.A.L.K.E.R games (to be fair, I think they do have some kind of multiplayer, but again... is that even remotely what's keeping those games alive?) 

- Within the Doom series (Doom 64 didn't have an online component, and yet it seems to be firmly entrenched as a fan favorite). 

I would like traditional doom deathmatch. No tactics, no dirty tricks, no quake. Just spawn, find a weapon, and fire away. No thinking allowed.

Honestly with how many people are very much in favor of more single-player content with Doom (2016), not to mention how unpopular the multiplayer was in that game, it comes as no surprise really. I admit it's a bit of a shame there is no deathmatch mode coming for Eternal, but I understand as to why.

2 hours ago, memes4lyfe said:

No thinking allowed.

I wouldn't be so sure on that. :P

I thought the MP was was bad in Doom 2016 because id Software didn't develop it by themselves? Maybe if they would of done it themselves it would of been better?

It does suck that there is no standard deathmatch in the new Doom. Doom's always been known for it's multi-player component and reinvigorating it now would be a good thing, especially with how bad Quake Champions is. It really is a missed opportunity in my eyes.

I guess we'll all have to see how good (and fun) this new battle mode really is.

Something that could improve the multiplayer is if it can be seperate from the base game/single player being downloaded.

In case someone doesn't like it, they can at least not have it occupy space in their hardware.

38 minutes ago, CyberDreams said:

I thought the MP was was bad in Doom 2016 because id Software didn't develop it by themselves? Maybe if they would of done it themselves it would of been better?

They took control back of it and released a couple of updates in an attempt to improve it, they replaced Hack Modules with runes, added more game modes, made it possible to join DLC lobbies without having to own DLCs (eventhough they later went back and made every DLC free) and released a couple more DLCs that included some extra maps and demons.

18 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

They took control back of it and released a couple of updates in an attempt to improve it, they replaced Hack Modules with runes, added more game modes, made it possible to join DLC lobbies without having to own DLCs (eventhough they later went back and made every DLC free) and released a couple more DLCs that included some extra maps and demons.

Thanks for the info. I didn't know that. I didn't really follow the game much after release and i've only recently started playing it (don't ask why i didn't bother to play it earlier lol)

I'm a bit disappointed since I'm one of 7 people who liked 2016's multiplayer, even at launch.

Though really, if Eternal also just had FFA Deathmatch with weapon pickups and a PvE coop horde mode then that'd be adequate enough.

I don't buy not wanting to compete with Quake Champions when QC is basically a flop at this point.

Relax, everyone. @DBThanatos got you covered, when Doom Eternal gets it's Classic Doom edition, it's going to be like D4T's awesome multiplayer all over again.

2 hours ago, RaikohZX said:

I don't buy not wanting to compete with Quake Champions when QC is basically a flop at this point.

Also it's only on PC.