Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

No Traditional Multiplayer

2 hours ago, qdash said:

They presenting this mode as something special, as real multiplayer. It's difficult to sell FPS game without multiplayer and Bethesda know it. Looks like id made this Battle Mode for one day or week, no more. It's my opinion.

No SnapMap

No co-op

No competitive multiplayer

But they trying to sell this game by full price like it's real AAA title.

* id have worked very hard on Battlemode from what I can tell. I have no doubt it'll be as "special" (as you put it) as the singleplayer campaign.
* Doom 2016 had millions of sales and critical acclaim over the campaign alone. They can sell purely from that.
* Battlemode is more replayability. And good replayability as you can actually play as the real Doom Slayer in it, and each encounter will be different because different people will play differently with different demons. And as id have said, playing as a demon must be a good change of pace if you've tired yourself out for the day.

* SnapMap was extremely limited and might as well have not been in the game for how much people used it. Their resources could have been better spent elsewhere, which is what they are doing in this game.
* As we all know from Wolfenstein: Youngblood's presentation, adding co-op does not suddenly make a game the second coming of Christ.

* Asymmetrical multiplayer can still be competitive. And who said multiplayer had to be competitive to sell? Battle Royales, for example, rake it in by appealing to the casual scene.
* It has all the features one could expect from an AAA game. Campaign and a multiplayer mode is all you really need on the content side of things - and Eternal has both plus Invasion and some more unannounced stuff according to interviews.

4 hours ago, qdash said:

They presenting this mode as something special, as real multiplayer. It's difficult to sell FPS game without multiplayer and Bethesda know it. Looks like id made this Battle Mode for one day or week, no more. It's my opinion.

No SnapMap

No co-op

No competitive multiplayer

But they trying to sell this game by full price like it's real AAA title.

Doom (2016) sold successfully well on its single-player alone. From launch and even to now, you're not going to find a lot of people speaking positive things about the multiplayer since they have better options. Not a lot of people played SnapMap if the the trophy/achievement stats across all platforms indicate anything. And I know you said this is your opinion, but given that games like DUSK exist, a well-polished single-player is more than enough for a lot people.

And Doom Eternal is a real AAA title, how is it not?

It's sad and unfortunate that DOOM 2016's multiplayer was this highly underrated. I actually enjoyed the fast-paced area (Quake-style) gameplay. Really disappointed that this style multiplayer will not be returning in Doom Eternal. Instead we are getting a strategy based multiplayer. Like seriously? What is this Plants vs Zombies? Since when did DOOM have to be a strategy game. I don't think I will be picking up DOOM eternal I mean i enjoyed the campaign but asides from that why does the multiplayer need to appeal to those that critic and play only the campaign? I hope the developers at iD software come across my comment and consider bringing back area style multiplayer to DOOM Eternal. -Dedicated and Hardcore DOOM advocate

I don't believe they don't intend to bring back FFA Deathmatch at least, especially after all the fuss about it not being part of Doom 2016 MP in it's early days. Most likely they just want to see people's reaction.

I still see no difference between Fallout 76 and Doom Eternal. All markers of this f*ck up with in-game content is available. I can believe and my eyes and see that I see. It doesn't feels like game with big budget(if you don't like AAA term) for me, doesn't feels like game that we all waiting for. You can be advocat of Bethesda/id or not, but by the fact Bethesda selling seriously unfinished games by full price and Doom Eternal isn't something special here. It has no co-op or normally multiplayer at this moment and I glad to see all this feedback, I hope they feels uncomfortable in this situation and they will try to change their decisions about multiplayer. Thanks you all for real feedback(without pink glasses). See you latter, in Doom Eternal. Hopefully.

7 minutes ago, qdash said:

I still see no difference between Fallout 76 and Doom Eternal. All markers of this f*ck up with in-game content is available. I can believe and my eyes and see that I see. It doesn't feels like game with big budget(if you don't like AAA term) for me, doesn't feels like game that we all waiting for. You can be advocat of Bethesda/id or not, but by the fact Bethesda selling seriously unfinished games by full price and Doom Eternal isn't something special here. It has no co-op or normally multiplayer at this moment and I glad to see all this feedback, I hope they feels uncomfortable in this situation and they will try to change their decisions about multiplayer. Thanks you all for real feedback(without pink glasses). See you latter, in Doom Eternal. Hopefully.

FO76's flop was Bethesda Game Studios' fault. Bethesda Game Studios were the ones with the unfinished game. Bethesda Game Studios have nothing to do with Eternal. id Software are the developers, and Bethesda Softworks are the publishers. Different companies entirely.

And who said the multiplayer had to be conformist to count as a proper multiplayer mode? Asymmetrical and 'wacky' multiplayer modes have found success in the past. And as I stated above, Wolfenstein: Youngblood proves that co-op does not automatically make a game better.

On 6/13/2019 at 3:36 AM, Taurus Daggerknight said:

As has been said in multiple threads... this comes as no surprise except to the very most hopeful of us. 

Quake Champions is the most obvious reason for this. Simply put; Doom deathmatch would invalidate the entire point of Quake Champions. Minor mechanical differences here and there notwithstanding, there are way too many similarities between Doom multiplayer done right and Quake: 

- Traditional, map control based gameplay

- Combat based around speed and movement over cover and defensive strategy 

- Techno-gothic visual style to the maps and characters

- Many weapons and powerups are common between both series (arsenals are virtually identical). 

Add to this the overall cold reception of Doom 2016's multiplayer and the community demand for a focus on single player... yeah, most saw this coming a mile away.

Sums it up perfectly. 

11 hours ago, qdash said:

I still see no difference between Fallout 76 and Doom Eternal.

That is just silly. Fallout 76 was a *massive* failure, hilariously so even for Bethesda's standards, which is saying something. I have my own doubts about the game but there's no way id can even now fuck up Doom anywhere even close to how Bethesda did on that one.

7 minutes ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

That is just silly. Fallout 76 was a *massive* failure, hilariously so even for Bethesda's standards, which is saying something. I have my own doubts about the game but there's no way id can even now fuck up Doom anywhere even close to how Bethesda did on that one.

Agreed. No Arena style multiplayer is a great disappointment (to me), but saying it's just like fallout 76in terms of quality is just silly.

On 6/14/2019 at 6:09 PM, qdash said:

Cheap shit. I can repeat it again. Sorry for my bad english, I will try to defence my point of view.

1.Quake Champions is already dead. I tried to play it today and only I can see is growing time of next match searching. Bethesda shown absolutely nothing at E3. What do you wanna know about this game more? QC is dead. Look at statistics:

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=quake+champions 

https://steamcharts.com/search/?q=doom

People still playing Doom '16(Bethesda killed support of Doom '16 for QC more than 2 years ago!) but nobody wanna play Quake Champions.

2.You can made Battle Mode in SnapMap for one day, isn't you?! It's joke. Simply joke. They trying to save their face with this "special multiplayer component". Bullshit! It's more looks like Doom Eternal isn't AAA, like an Fallout 76 or Rage 2, but they will try to sell this game as real AAA title. Where I'm wrong?

3.OK, Doom Eternal has another multiplayer modes bla-bla-bla. Where's all of them? They told "we will show you more about Battle Mode at QuakeCon". I don't care about Battle Mode, c'mon! Where's real things?! No multiplayer?! OK, give us co-op. But where's no co-op too! Nothing! Just singleplayer campaign!

Enough?

Not Enought? infact it doesnt answer anything.

Still doesnt answer why removing multiplayer is "It's all about money", because Adding Multiplayer would be the easiest way to Get money (MICROTRANSACTIONS, PAY 2 WIN).

Sounds like you are just mad but need to find a way to justify it.

I'm Glad Doom eternal is focusing on singleplayer because EVERYTHING is multiplayer nowadays and i am sick of it.

"Single Player games are dead" - EA

19 hours ago, qdash said:

I still see no difference between Fallout 76 and Doom Eternal...

WOW hahahaha

@qdash Once upon a time, likely before your time, multiplayer was a rarity. Full games were a complete campaign and unlocks were rewards that couldn't be purchased but only earned. Since the developers knew every game has a certain shelf life for the masses they didn't turn many games into a painful grind.

A good campaign, then and now takes more time, money and effort to get right. Believe it or not multiplayer is the cheap route to focus on producing games.

Granted Doom not having traditional deathmatch of sorts is a bummer, even the classical had it so I understand the suspicion with the Quake Champions theory. Not sure if I believe it though.

But getting angry that Doom focuses on the single player experience and comparing it to Fallout 76 is rather silly. Don't be so ignorant and naive. I hope you're just a young kid angry he isn't getting something he wanted. If not, then you're part of modern gamings problems.

Doom 2016 multiplayer was actually really good, it was an unconventional mixture of arena and modern shooters that blended into a rewarding and skill based experience and I am sad to see it go.

22 hours ago, qdash said:

It's not really advocating Bethesda or even iD to point out that the comparison between Fallout '76 (or really, ANY Fallout game) and Doom Eternal is a massive, massive stretch. Neither shares game play systems, features or even technology. Nor are they being worked on by the same people. As has been pointed out multiple times, Bethesda Publishing is NOT THE SAME CREW THAT MAKES GAMES. 

Furthermore, I really feel like this is a case of misplaced angst. You may as well get really mad at the prospect of a Half Life game being released without death match (I've pointed out before; Half Life 2 did NOT release with it's own multiplayer, and you know what... it was fine). For a long, long time now, Doom has not been much about its multiplayer. Doom 64 didn't have it, Doom 3 had it but it was kind of... lukewarm on release, and certainly not as feature packed as other contemporary shooters. Doom 2016 had it, but it clearly was not the priority (despite what Bethesda marketing tried to suggest). That isn't to say that it wasn't enjoyable in its own way (or that anyone is wrong to have had a blast with it!), but the core devs working on Doom 2016 as we know it were not working on multiplayer. Now that Eternal is 100% being done in-house, it's not too surprising that they really want to just focus on the core game. Battle-Mode is trying to tie into that, and from the looks of what they've shown, it looks to be a little more detailed than just "demon runes vs one player". 

I am puzzled as to what you define as a AAA game. To suggest that AAA must always have multiplayer is a big of a fallacy. Just a short run down of games that stood on single player alone: 

- Dishonored 
- Fallout (every single one besides '76) 
- Deus Ex (again, all of them)
- Elder Scrolls (All of them besides EOS)
- Rage 2
- Wolfenstien TNO and TNC

- Previously mentioned Half Life 2 (Deathmatch was added much later. On release, it's "multiplayer" was Counter-Strike: Source). 

- Prey 

- Shadow Warrior (2013). Shadow Warrior 2 has multiplayer, but it's only co-op to my knowledge, and I personally haven't touched it... 

That's not counting a lot of classic games that remain as measuring points of innovation and well made titles to this day. 

Personally, I'd have liked multiplayer death match too, but again, it's absence is hardly indicative of iD being cheap.  Everything we've seen so far suggests the same level of polish iD has always been known for prior to Rage 1. Which is kind of the thing that's supposed to set AAA apart from the rest.... (supposed to...sad age where that's not the case anymore... )

22 hours ago, Novaseer said:

Bethesda Game Studios were the ones with the unfinished game. Bethesda Game Studios have nothing to do with Eternal. id Software are the developers, and Bethesda Softworks are the publishers.

Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Id_Software

It's already Bethesda's studio. Two prevous Bethesda's games was criminally unfinished, has poor content, grind and agressive monetisation. Doom Eternal looks better, but it still has mediocre budget product, full of compromisses.

2 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Still doesnt answer why removing multiplayer is "It's all about money", because Adding Multiplayer would be the easiest way to Get money

...and it(mutltiplayer) needs balance, new content - maps, maybe classes with special abillities e t.c. It needs money and time mostly as much as singleplayer campaign. Right?

Co-op needs some hard work too. People who didn't liked Doom '16 MP asked for co-op and why?! Because it more expensive and difficult than all of this gimmick shit.

1 hour ago, Chezza said:

Don't be so ignorant and naive. I hope you're just a young kid angry he isn't getting something he wanted. If not, then you're part of modern gamings problems.

I'm not naive, because I canceled my pre-order, it's too expansive to buy game by full price with 8 hours of gameplay.

Nobody likes Battle Mode - my clan mates, my friends in Steam, all of them pretty dissapointed from this decision. Because it's already looks like shit and fail, worse than Evolve, than Soul Harvest mode in Doom '16, than anything else. It's doesn't feels and looks like something speical, because it's not something special, if you ever played in Doom '16 MP or SnapMap modes. Looks like they(Bethesda) completely don't care about future of multiplayer. Yes, I blame Bethesda for it. Because it's their politics.

I'm not happy about QuakeCon too. QuakeCon is dying, because Bethesda has no plans for QC and no plans for future of competitive MP in their new products... and Doom Eternal was last hope for something real cool.

If you can spend all your free time on your favorite game it's best thing in gaming! I have about +1300 hours in Doom '16, ~900 hours in QC. Yes, I'm mad. I'm so f*cking mad. I always was with id, I played in every FPS game by id, since I was 8 years old kid. My first FPS game was Wolfenstein 3D at IBM 286. I love this shit, and always loved. Doom Eternal isn't real Doom, it's not half of game can be named as Doom.

That's all.

...now QuakeCon is dying, because their flagship title for the year is Doom Eternal? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't iD historically headlined with their current game, stretching all the way back to Doom 3? Besides which, I'm pretty sure they'll have Quake Champions going on as well, just not as the spotlight show. 

Claiming Bethesda as a whole doesn't care about multiplayer is... a strange assessment. Fallout 76 might be a failed (?) experiment, but it was an experiment entirely centered around multiplayer. Wolfenstien: Young Blood is likewise a co-op focused game. Quake Champions, silent as it has been, is multiplayer only, and the silence may very well just be the devs going into hunker-down mode. It's a bit to put such faith, sure, but a similar thing happened over at the Age of Empires forums; nobody heard news about AOE 2 DE for about two years since its announcement, but they finally paid off with the info and shots they revealed. 

But really... how is Doom Eternal not looking to be 'real Doom' ? Because it lacks a side mode that has never been the sole focus of the series? What do you consider "real Doom" ? (Asking in all seriousness, not trying to chide. I'm just confused by the shout that this is somehow a half-assed approach) . 

Multiplayer is traditionally my favorite part of Doom but with Quake Champions being around I can see why they're not bothering much with it. 2 player splitscreen co-op woulda been nice but oh well.

16 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

...now QuakeCon is dying, because their flagship title for the year is Doom Eternal? 

Correct me if I'm wrong, but hasn't iD historically headlined with their current game, stretching all the way back to Doom 3? Besides which, I'm pretty sure they'll have Quake Champions going on as well, just not as the spotlight show. 

Claiming Bethesda as a whole doesn't care about multiplayer is... a strange assessment. Fallout 76 might be a failed (?) experiment, but it was an experiment entirely centered around multiplayer. Wolfenstien: Young Blood is likewise a co-op focused game. Quake Champions, silent as it has been, is multiplayer only, and the silence may very well just be the devs going into hunker-down mode. It's a bit to put such faith, sure, but a similar thing happened over at the Age of Empires forums; nobody heard news about AOE 2 DE for about two years since its announcement, but they finally paid off with the info and shots they revealed. 

But really... how is Doom Eternal not looking to be 'real Doom' ? Because it lacks a side mode that has never been the sole focus of the series? What do you consider "real Doom" ? (Asking in all seriousness, not trying to chide. I'm just confused by the shout that this is somehow a half-assed approach) . 

Firstly, thank you for your optimism and your posts.

Real Doom is not singleplayer only, it's mod support, deathmatches, co-op, it's complex fun. About game design it has elements of horror too. In 1993 Doom was pretty horror game, if you can remember your first visit of hellknight's room. OK, horror isn't so important element, but it was in original games too, as multiplayer, as mod support and mapping, as co-op - where's all of this?!

49 minutes ago, qdash said:

...and it(mutltiplayer) needs balance, new content - maps, maybe classes with special abillities e t.c. It needs money and time mostly as much as singleplayer campaign. Right?

Co-op needs some hard work too. People who didn't liked Doom '16 MP asked for co-op and why?! Because it more expensive and difficult than all of this gimmick shit.

You obviously don't know how much money companies get from Multiplayer Skins and Perks... MUCH more than single player.

you have NO idea what you are talking about... just an angry kid who's mad he can't get what he wants.

Nobody likes Battle Mode - my clan mates, my friends in Steam, all of them pretty dissapointed from this decision.

Im sorry but your 12 Steam Friends don't count for the Majority of the Doom community

it's too expansive to buy game by full price with 8 hours of gameplay.

Where did you get this 8 hours thing? You're delusional.

sad to see you fall for the EA trap of having Multiplayer on EVERYTHING.

Edited by jazzmaster9

jazzmaster9,

2 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

You obviously don't know how much money companies get from Multiplayer Skins and Perks... MUCH more than single player.

Doomslayers skins for Battle Mode is now available for MONEY. Do you know it, no? Where you was?

3 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Im sorry but your 12 Steam Friends don't count for the Majority of the Doom community

You can't talk from Doom community too. You told how you don't care about MP in Doom Eternal, that do you trying to tell me now? LoL, "champion of forum fights".

P.S. I finished with you. Go to ingore.

2 minutes ago, qdash said:

P.S. I finished with you. Go to ingore.

Running away? goodbye

Not every game needs multiplayer. I just want a good single player experience and this seems promising

11 minutes ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Not every game needs multiplayer. I just want a good single player experience and this seems promising

+1. SP is where it is for me nowadays.

20 minutes ago, qdash said:

Firstly, thank you for your optimism and your posts.

Real Doom is not singleplayer only, it's mod support, deathmatches, co-op, it's complex fun. About game design it has elements of horror too. In 1993 Doom was pretty horror game, if you can remember your first visit of hellknight's room. OK, horror isn't so important element, but it was in original games too, as multiplayer, as mod support and mapping, as co-op - where's all of this?!

Certainly! :D

Ekhm....WALL OF TEXT INCOMING.

Oh I have a soft spot for the horror tone too. I loved the atmosphere of Doom 3 and 64 for sure. With that said; I've also found that the Doom titles that didn't invest that much in atmosphere ended up playing better/ being more fun to shoot around in.

Let's be fair at say that the original Doom's atmosphere was incredibly inconsistent more than anything. It had graphic and violent scenes of torture, some areas were super grim and intense... and then in the same breath you had the intermission screens (the writing quality of which is really not -that- much better than Doom: Repercussions of Evil. Fight me on this people! ). Along with the intense horror, your motivation for Doom 2 boils down to "Oh yeah, and they murdered your bunny. Those bastards!" . Not to mention "Chainsaws on Phobos!" (Doom 3 even made fun of that...). And lest we forget, the simple premise of "You're so bad that Hell basically opened a door and begged you to please GTFO". 

Doom 64 and 3 decided to double down on the horror aspect, at the expense of the cheese. Personally, I enjoyed that. However, what I did not enjoy much was Doom 3's game play. Doom 2016, on the other hand, focused on the cheese in order to make the game play flow better. On the surface, one might think that it should be possible to do serious atmosphere with over-the-top blazing gun play, but then we land up with Quake 1, which was.... a really, really odd game as a whole. One in which there was a serious disconnect between the story, the visuals, the audio and game play. (okay, maybe the visuals and audio played together nicely). Again, I totally get where you're coming from with the wish for atmosphere, but I honestly feel like it would just not fit with the kind of game they seem to be building. Perhaps down the road we can see a return to horror in a  new kind of Doom (which we'll surely have, because at this point, rest assured, Doom won't die), but it's not going to be the Doom Slayer saga. 

Mod support is another tricky thing. Others have pointed out that the reality if modding is just not what it used to be, when games as pieces of software were far simpler. Speaking as a developer myself, making even a simple subway area now requires a crap ton more to it than it may have back in the 90's and early 2000's. Tools have gotten better, but also more complex and not always as accessible as one might like. With that said; it should be noted that iD said mod support is something they are keen to look into for Eternal, just not at launch. They've stated that the game is being built to be more accessible under the hood, so it's entirely possible that we'll see things coming out incrementally. 

Co-op has not been  a part of Doom since the originals. Sad, yes, but it is the fact. Doom 3, once again, did not ship with co-op or anything more than a  rudimentary, four player Death Match (Four player in an age of 12-16 player games), and again, there have been  a few Doom games by now in which online play simply wasn't a thing. It's not prefferable perhaps, but I wouldn't say multiplayer and Doom are inseparable. 

In short; Doom has taken on  a lot of forms over the years. It's been  a half-serious, half quirky action game that introduced Death Match with early survival horror aspects. It was a super campy series of sci-fi novels. It was a drug fueled, what-the-hell-did-I-just-read comic. It was a super serious horror game. It was a terrible movie about a S.W.A.T team on Mars. Now, in it's current (but unlikely final form), it's an over-the-top arcade style shooter. It is of course up to everyone to pick their poison, and for most, a good number of Doom's forms just never cut the mustard. However, there is a difference between the type of game not being your cup of tea, and the devs just being lazy/ money grabbing. The point of contention, I reckon, isn't that you're not keen on this style of Doom, so much as the notion that the devs are being greedy and half-assed when nothing shown so far suggests so (a couple of skins/ collectors ed items that are absolutely not pay-to-win modules don't exactly count). 

Battlemode seems fun. I am not really a fan of asymmetrical multiplayer modes but atleast 2vs1 setup keeps things pretty simple. Battlemode seems to be a great way to have fun PVP-multiplayer variation of the Doom gameplay. I personally would had made it full 1vs1 with playable demons replaced with some kind of "Demon Master", think evil demonic counterpart of Doom Slayer that could summon and control demons and maybe have demonic monster form of his own. It could had been fun if a match would had started by Doom Slayer trying to hunt Demon Master but longer Demon Master would survive, more powerful he until he would be the hunter in the situation.

I do love that they are marketing Battlemode with clear fighting game/mortal kombat style.

2 hours ago, qdash said:

It's already Bethesda's studio. Two prevous Bethesda's games was criminally unfinished, has poor content, grind and agressive monetisation. Doom Eternal looks better, but it still has mediocre budget product, full of compromisses.

Just because it's "Bethesda's studio" as you bluntly put it does not mean it's made by the same studio as FO76 or Rage 2. As I said, FO76 was made by Bethesda (I put this in bold in my last post for a reason) Game Studios (which, like id software, is a subsidiary of Bethesda Softworks - they are separate companies, only alike by name), and Rage 2 was made by Avalanche. Neither are connected to id directly. And Bethesda Softworks are good publishers - id themselves and others such as MachineGames and Arkane have shown to have had great creative freedom and have had success with their titles. Hell, a good way to prove that Bethesda are good publishers is the original Doom 4 concept. If Bethesda Softworks were more hardline (i.e. on the EA/Activision side of things), they would not let id scrap it and start over, and the award-winning Doom 2016 would not exist.

And what to you says "medium budget"?
Eternal has:

• a whole new, next-gen engine that claims to show "ten times the geometric detail and texture fidelity" of the previous engine that the graphically impressive Doom '16 was the flagship of (engine development is expensive, by the way)
  • fully expansive singleplayer campaign of unknown (but presumably longer than 2016 considering the amount of environments we've seen) length, with 40-ish enemy types, expansive, detailed maps with dozens of secrets and a selection of heavily polished, semi-configurable weapons (all take a lot of time and money to make)
  • a full, new soundtrack that makes use of a fucking choir of metal screamers (several dozen musicians is much more expensive than one)
  • a multiplayer mode with delicate balance, several completely new areas and a large selection of playable demons (it's more than the Rev and Mancubus, id have confirmed that), each with completely different movesets and abilities that are not part of the AI demon's arsenal
  • several extra features such as Invasion and others that they have not revealed yet (and there are others, they've confirmed that)

9 hours ago, qdash said:

Doomslayers skins for Battle Mode is now available for MONEY. Do you know it, no? Where you was?

As far as I am aware, aside of one skin in the Collector's Edition and a Doot skin for pre-ordering the game, you can get some of the more known ones for free by being active with the Slayer's Club. But apparently, not having a multiplayer mode is greedy? I think you have read/watched a little too much news on Bethesda Game Studios that now you think every decision made is related to them.

Edited by Erick

8 hours ago, qdash said:

Now this is an understandable concern and reflects my own issues with Doom Eternal.

What you don't understand, though, is that most likely there would be 20 times more of THIS if Doom Eternal took the standard AAA multiplayer route. Do you see what I'm getting at here?

[..] Doom's atmosphere was incredibly inconsistent more than anything. It had graphic and violent scenes of torture, some areas were super grim and intense... and then in the same breath you had the intermission screens (the writing quality of which is really not -that- much better than Doom: Repercussions of Evil. Fight me on this people! ). Along with the intense horror, your motivation for Doom 2 boils down to "Oh yeah, and they murdered your bunny. Those bastards!"

Woah, slow down there cowboy. It’s time for a fact check! Doomguy’s main motivation in Doom 2 is to save the survivors of the initial invasion, clean up any traces of Hell’s presence and start on the road to rebuilding society. They may not be high art but the story fragments in Doom 1 and 2 make this super duper clear. The rabbit is just a funny McGuffin more than anything else.

Don’t take this too seriously btw, I know the story of Doom is nothing to write home about, but a lot of people seem to miss the character motivation that the story screens often provide. I know it isn’t much but it adds to a sense of purpose.

I would also contest the greater point that a serious tone and guns-blazing gameplay can’t be made to jive. I’m sure it could be done just fine, its a different genre but in some respects GTA bridges the gap of “sometimes silly, sometimes serious and sometimes action packed”. In fact a lot of franchises nail that combo in TV shows and movies, it’s not often achieved in gaming but it’s definitely doable!

13 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

Doom 3, once again, did not ship with co-op

Original Xbox

Battle mode and the invasion mechanic look cool and I'm excited to play it. I would have liked to see them make Deathmatch another headliner for the multiplayer and do something cool with it, since Doom invented it and should own it in some way. A 4-player DM in Eternal might be fun.