Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Johnatone

No Traditional Multiplayer

There's always the chance they may add traditional deathmatch down the line after the game comes out.  Battlemode already looks more interesting than 2016's multiplayer so opinions may change after the initial release.

I have faith Battlemode will be an interesting game mode, it sounds like you can play as most of the demons against the slayer which would bring a lot of replayability.

Meh - classic deathmatch is so dated at this point. While it's a little disappointing I can't blame Id for concentrating dev resources on game mechanics that are more current. The battlemode looks far more interesting than 2016's DM was. I loved 2016 Doom but didn't stick around long for the MP (as well as all my friends who played it). The new Dooms are 100% about the single player experiences. Multiplayer shooters are so saturated anyway who really needs another reskinned classic DM?

Edited by ecs34

Oh and speaking of the multiplayer's assets, its stability, future access and the idea of an horde mode, i wonder how many people care about Doom 3's MP.

Because that even had power ups not available in the SP, including a soulsphere that resembled the classic design.

Like, there's no proper video footage of those and all the Doomwiki has is random screenshots.

Like really, possible documentation is another reason to care about this.

16 hours ago, seed said:

That seems to be the "big thing" these days, isn't it...

yes it is, are you trying to say it isn't?

1 hour ago, ([zen3001]) said:

yes it is, are you trying to say it isn't?

It definitely isn't the be-all-end-all like some would like to think it is, nonetheless, I was just saying that that's probably why some people are fixated on that particular aspect of MP.

I suspect that Bethesda didn't want classic deathmatch included because they want everyone interested in arena shooter gameplay to go to Quake Champions.

3 hours ago, whirledtsar said:

I suspect that Bethesda didn't want classic deathmatch included because they want everyone interested in arena shooter gameplay to go to Quake Champions.

Then they need to bring Champions to consoles.

Advocats everywhere, but face the reality, very small auditory will buy it for singleplayer by full price. Just wait and see this game with -50% pricedrop at Steam after few months. Mark my words.

Edited by qdash

40 minutes ago, qdash said:

Advocats everywhere, but face the reality, very small auditory will for singleplayer by full price. Just wait and see this game with -50% pricedrop at Steam after few months. Mark my words.

Uh huh.

Do I get the liberty to also cudgel you with them when you are wrong?

Battle mode looks fun, but not adding a traditional mode is like a glass half empty. I saw nothing wrong with the previous Doom.

On 6/13/2019 at 5:54 AM, qdash said:

Every really good FPS game has a competitive MP. Look at Halo and CoD - they has no problems with traditional multiplayer fun.

It's all about money. Cheap shit.

I'm a huge classic Doom fan and I didn't play Deathmatch in those games until last Saturday and that was thanks to the splitscreen on my Switch.
To me, the important part of classic FPS is the campaign. And that's why I love this series is that they usually have good campaigns. And that's why I'm getting Eternal.

I said this already and even made a thread in the Doom 2016 forum of this site. (i'll even link it there if anyone cares)

But i hope both multiplayer modes of 2016 and Eternal have lasting legacies, since that is what makes Doom special. (and you know, "eternal).

Why does the MP have to resemble the previous games'? I'm glad it's not traditional. We already have that for Doom '16.

Meh. If I want multiplayer I’ll play a game designed for multiplayer as it’s sole purpose. Just as MP games that try and add on a SP component usually fail, for me DOOM is all about the campaign 

On 6/13/2019 at 12:03 AM, bj25x said:

Bring MP back! Deathmatch with loadouts and Arena mode with no loadouts, something for everyone. I personally like loadouts, as soon as you spawn you’re ready to smash, it’s glorious. 

I haven't played Doom 2016.   I actually just got a physical copy with all DLC cheap off ebay but need a new computer first.

But anyway, not sure entirely what loadouts are but I think some classic Doom deathmatch maps I was playing on Zandronum simulated it with you starting right on an SSG or something.

The biggest point is it's pretty simple to whip up some deathmatch mode with all they already have and leave it up to the players to make more custom maps for it.   Battle Mode looks pretty cool, but at least give people the freaking option to play regular multiplayer, at least Doomguy vs Doomguy deathmatch, if not that and cooperative.   Classic Doom invented multiplayer in first person shooters, didn't it?  Give people the simple freaking option to try it.

What I think it's gonna happen is that they're gonna release the game just with battlemode. A couple of months after, when people already tried it, they are gonna update the game with a regular MP mode. I think they want all the people playing the mode, which makes sense because, let's be honest, who is gonna try it if they let you choose?... They spent so much time to make that mode, so they want people to give it a try, no other way. 

On 8/18/2019 at 8:44 AM, RightField said:

yeah it looks fun and all but I want classic deathmatch as well, can't be that hard to add in a patch? even if they just reuse the maps from d2016

Considering the lore focus, they might as well salvage the 2016 MP maps.

Guess i'm just now repeating a point i've said already.

Why is it that games these days don't have as much features as old games? New hardware, yet all they're used for is graphics. Disappointing. :(

4 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

Why is it that games these days don't have as much features as old games? New hardware, yet all they're used for is graphics. Disappointing. :(

I'll bite; What do you consider to be a feature, and why do you think hardware should automatically guarantee its inclusion?

On 8/20/2019 at 3:45 AM, Edward850 said:

I'll bite; What do you consider to be a feature, and why do you think hardware should automatically guarantee its inclusion?

Well modes and content. More powerful hardware means more stuff to add, bigger worlds, many possibilities.

20 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Well modes and content. More powerful hardware means more stuff to add, bigger worlds, many possibilities.

Not really no. There's no immediate correlation to "more hardware equals bigger world" or anything quite like that. The statement is also vastly too broad on both ends, new graphics cards doesn't magically allow you to do new game modes for example.

Hell if anything it can and has demonstrably meant the opposite in the past. The PS3 during its generation had the most powerful CPU on the market at the time. This actually caused it significant problems in terms of developer appeal because barely anybody knew how to properly program the Cell architecture. More powerful hardware means you need more powerful programming to actually make use of the features (put overly simplified).

On 8/22/2019 at 11:23 PM, Edward850 said:

Not really no. There's no immediate correlation to "more hardware equals bigger world" or anything quite like that. The statement is also vastly too broad on both ends, new graphics cards doesn't magically allow you to do new game modes for example.

Hell if anything it can and has demonstrably meant the opposite in the past. The PS3 during its generation had the most powerful CPU on the market at the time. This actually caused it significant problems in terms of developer appeal because barely anybody knew how to properly program the Cell architecture. More powerful hardware means you need more powerful programming to actually make use of the features (put overly simplified).

There's more RAM available on new hardware I mean.

36 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

There's more RAM available on new hardware I mean.

Not sure what that's supposed to change. Programming is programming, having more RAM doesn't change the fact that you still need to spend time developing the features in the first place, that's the critical bottleneck.

I just found this and now i wonder if they'll ever put throwback skins in Battlemode, like with Quake Champions for example:

https://redd.it/csz4nt

42 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Not sure what that's supposed to change. Programming is programming, having more RAM doesn't change the fact that you still need to spend time developing the features in the first place, that's the critical bottleneck.

Some people need to know that different and new hardware doesn't always mean just more memory space.

There's a lot of old games that don't really run well on modern systems, which is one of the reasons why source ports and emulators exist.