Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rescue86k

Help with maybe some easy questions

Recommended Posts

I'm working on Doom 1 Open World Map,

Reference to screenshot (Yes its getting big. Still no fps problems.) Episode e1m1-e1m8.

 

I've built up some prevailing questions, that might be easy to answer.

 

1) I'm including some custom monsters and assets. Such as the Cyberdemon before he became cyber. Relevant assets. That one works! I find many of realm 667 assets, monsters, props, effects, use Zscript instead of decorate. All I want is for the added mod/asset to show up in doom builder.  Is there an easy way to make some of these zscripted realm 667 assets show in doom builder 2?

 

2) What makes dooms atmosphere? I'm focused on what made doom creepy when it was first launched. Map is planned to stay compatible with zdoom and gzdoom, so limited slightly but so far not bad. Just really focused on making the map pop the vibe. 

 

3) Can I be able to show/list visible linedefs/sectors, number, on screen in game. I will need it later to optimize performance. If I see a part where my fps dips, I want to also see how many linedefs and sectors visible on screen. (To eventually oblivorate them). Fps seems fine, but when map is tested by multiple players, I want to focus on this and chop down to a standard performance level.

 

4) I need someone to order pizza for me and pay for it.

 

5) I need a back massage and salon. Maybe a lottery ticket.

 

6) Ignore 4 and 5. I need passive friendly npcs. They don't seem to exist. (Marathon had unarmed defenseless bobs). Also need a custom pink that is drinking as idle animation. Normal once active. He will be drinking blood. Many of them. Don't disturb. I would call #6 a mod request. Put on realm 667 for everyone ;) I'm working on atmosphere so certain things need to be in map so you know, its happening. hell on phobos. 

 

Any help appretiated. I'm starting to like the map. The new imps , are creepy. No screenies ever for them. Leave them for players to find. I don't like play testing on those areas anymore. Did a good job bringing back a scare. They inside e1m2, not hard to figure out what area. They don't let you know they coming.

 

 

Capture224.PNG

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, rescue86k said:

2) What makes dooms atmosphere? I'm focused on what made doom creepy when it was first launched. Map is planned to stay compatible with zdoom and gzdoom, so limited slightly but so far not bad. Just really focused on making the map pop the vibe. 

 

Truthfully, Doom lost it's vibe when everyone switched to LCDs. The dynamic range got flattened and shoved to the front. Maybe include a custom CRT palette in your wad?

 

Edit: I realised I could create one from the CRT shader I'm working on. Feel free to try it out here.

Edited by Space Marinara

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, rescue86k said:

Zscript instead of decorate. All I want is for the added mod/asset to show up in doom builder.  Is there an easy way to make some of these zscripted realm 667 assets show in doom builder 2?

 

Simple: You don't.

Because DB2 is OOOOOOOOOLD by this point, you should not use it, it's extremely outdated, buggy and unsupported. Doom Builder X is a continuation without a ton of intrusive changes, and updates it a lot to support many new things like map formats and 3D floor rendering, etc.

Even then, they will not show up on Doom Builder. You need to define a spawner that will place them in DECORATE and that's the thing that will appear in the editor. If you don't know how to do this, just ask.

 

4 hours ago, rescue86k said:

Can I be able to show/list visible linedefs/sectors, number, on screen in game. I will need it later to optimize performance. If I see a part where my fps dips, I want to also see how many linedefs and sectors visible on screen. (To eventually oblivorate them). Fps seems fine, but when map is tested by multiple players, I want to focus on this and chop down to a standard performance level.

 

Again: You don't.

Just get close to places that cause slowdown and go into the automap and type in "IDDT", after that you will get a complete wireframe view of all the sectors and stuff near you from above, should be pretty helpful.

 

4 hours ago, rescue86k said:

Ignore 4 and 5. I need passive friendly npcs. They don't seem to exist. (Marathon had unarmed defenseless bobs). Also need a custom pink that is drinking as idle animation. Normal once active. He will be drinking blood. Many of them. Don't disturb. I would call #6 a mod request. Put on realm 667 for everyone ;) I'm working on atmosphere so certain things need to be in map so you know, its happening. hell on phobos.

 

It's extremely easy, just make a monster that on it's spawn state it just calls A_Wander.

Example for a Zombieman using it's walking frames:

Spawn:
	POSS ABCD 4 A_Wander
	Loop

This way, it can't hurt anything, it won't try to attack, and just walks around without any place to go in mind.

 

Coding the pinky is very easy, but spriting it isn't so easy, at least for me. So that's for someone else.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

 

Simple: You don't.

Because DB2 is OOOOOOOOOLD by this point, you should not use it, it's extremely outdated, buggy and unsupported. Doom Builder X is a continuation without a ton of intrusive changes, and updates it a lot to support many new things like map formats and 3D floor rendering, etc.

Even then, they will not show up on Doom Builder. You need to define a spawner that will place them in DECORATE and that's the thing that will appear in the editor. If you don't know how to do this, just ask.

 

Or use GZDB-BF, it does support ZScript. Still need to give it a a DoomEdNum and load gzdoom.pk3 as a resource, though.

Share this post


Link to post
11 hours ago, rescue86k said:

 

 

2) What makes dooms atmosphere? I'm focused on what made doom creepy when it was first launched. Map is planned to stay compatible with zdoom and gzdoom, so limited slightly but so far not bad. Just really focused on making the map pop the vibe. 

 

 

If you noticed, most of atmosphere in doom was created by using light contrasts and settings like light strobing or glowing in some particular places. With gzdoom and zdoom stuff, you could slight fog. Also good music choice helps build atmosphere too. 

Share this post


Link to post

Very very good stuff. I'm checking all said out. "define a spawner that will place them in DECORATE". Yes tell me ;) I don't know. I plsn to reply better after I work on all said. All helpful.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

First, we make the code for it, in a DECORATE lump inside the .wad or .pk3 file.

ACTOR TD_InsertMonsterNameHereSpawner : RandomSpawner XXXX
{
	Dropitem "InsertMonsterActorNameHere"
}

 

Now i will explain what everything does:

In the actor name, the "TD" prefix is simply there to avoid any confilcts with existing definitions, you can change the prefix to anything you want.

InsertMonsterNameHere should be changed to have the same name as the monster in question, not necessarily the actor name but just some name that identifies it works fine too.


The XXXX is it's DoomED number, it needs to be anything not used yet by Doom, or you will get warnings on startup and sometimes bugs. Just use any number from 5050 up to 9050 and you will be fine.

 

The part where it says "InsertMonsterActorNameHere", needs to be replaced with the monster's name. You can see that name in it's ZScript definition (usually it's "class ACTORNAMEHERE") so put exactly that in here. Example: if it says ( class IcePinky ) then the spawner line would be ( Dropitem "IcePinky" ) obviously without parenthesis.

Share this post


Link to post
45 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

First, we make the code for it, in a DECORATE lump inside the .wad or .pk3 file.


ACTOR TD_InsertMonsterNameHereSpawner : RandomSpawner XXXX
{
	Dropitem "InsertMonsterActorNameHere"
}

 

Now i will explain what everything does:

In the actor name, the "TD" prefix is simply there to avoid any confilcts with existing definitions, you can change the prefix to anything you want.

InsertMonsterNameHere should be changed to have the same name as the monster in question, not necessarily the actor name but just some name that identifies it works fine too.


The XXXX is it's DoomED number, it needs to be anything not used yet by Doom, or you will get warnings on startup and sometimes bugs. Just use any number from 5050 up to 9050 and you will be fine.

 

The part where it says "InsertMonsterActorNameHere", needs to be replaced with the monster's name. You can see that name in it's ZScript definition (usually it's "class ACTORNAMEHERE") so put exactly that in here. Example: if it says ( class IcePinky ) then the spawner line would be ( Dropitem "IcePinky" ) obviously without parenthesis.

Dude you are amazing. Followed my posts, very helpful and helping the project mature. If you don't mind, you will be included as a voiced marine or scientist, or on one of the terminals, guiding the player. There is a story, I just havent talked much about it. And thankyou, will work on this decorate now.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, rescue86k said:

Dude you are amazing. Followed my posts, very helpful and helping the project mature. If you don't mind, you will be included as a voiced marine or scientist, or on one of the terminals, guiding the player. There is a story, I just havent talked much about it. And thankyou, will work on this decorate now.

No problem. Hey, that would be very nice, thanks for the inclusion!

Share this post


Link to post
22 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

No problem. Hey, that would be very nice, thanks for the inclusion!

Okay I did testing and got it working just by instructions posted. GZdoom.exe works with it. Zandronum doesn't. In Doom Builder the decorate "Things" work. placed in map. In game if play testing on Zandronum.exe, the monsters don't show up. Maybe Zandronum doesn't support the zscript. Maybe I need to post the script for further help? Any sprite /monster taken from realm 667 that has a full decorate code for its actor, hp, frames etc, works in both ports. But zscript monsters work only in GZdoom. sounds like Zandronum don't support zscript? 

 

I'm trying to keep Zandronum compatible with map for online play if anyone ever did.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rescue86k said:

sounds like Zandronum don't support zscript?

Nope, it doesn't. You'd first need to convert those definitions to DECORATE so they work in Zandronum. Luckily, you are looking at an expert on the matter :D

 

If you can send me the script files (Or maybe the whole thing with the monster sprites and sounds so i can test it in-game) i could easily convert them. There might be a bit of ACS involved too if the monsters require it but i will show you how to plug it all into your project.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

Nope, it doesn't. You'd first need to convert those definitions to DECORATE so they work in Zandronum. Luckily, you are looking at an expert on the matter :D

 

If you can send me the script files (Or maybe the whole thing with the monster sprites and sounds so i can test it in-game) i could easily convert them. There might be a bit of ACS involved too if the monsters require it but i will show you how to plug it all into your project.

Im unsure of the others. This one is one of the problem childs that WILL be in the map, mining for some type of ore that relates to nucluer fision cores. Has the decorate script inside. 

HazmatZombie.zip

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, rescue86k said:

Im unsure of the others. This one is one of the problem childs that WILL be in the map, mining for some type of ore that relates to nucluer fision cores. Has the decorate script inside. 

HazmatZombie.zip

...Um, the lump OLDCODE included in the .wad already has Zandronum-compatible DEOCRATE.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

...Um, the lump OLDCODE included in the .wad already has Zandronum-compatible DEOCRATE.

Hmm... how interesting. I tested it and works on both ports. So that was the purpose of authors adding OLDCODE lumps into these wads.

 

Well. .. um... I so knew that the entire time.

 

It was.. a test. yes a test! To test that you were an expert at these things. What intelligence it takes, clever ways, to ensure. Ensure. That Yes we now all know the dumbie here. Could not be me. 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×