gatewatcher

Doom III: Use Key.

Use key?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Use key?

• Yes, there must be one.
    • No, it\'s a gimmick.
    • I don\'t know.

most any games out now. at least major ones will have a 'use key' to protect the game, unless something new and better is out

Sephiroth said:

most any games out now. at least major ones will have a 'use key' to protect the game, unless something new and better is out

Seph, unless I misread your post, you are talking about CD protection keys, right? Well, the "use key" that gatewatcher is talking about is like "Spacebar" in Doom, you know, it opens doors and activates switches and shit.

Yo dsm, would this poll still work if I ship it to the Doom 3 forum?

EDIT I guess it does. :)

All doom games have the "use" key. All quake games don't. It's a tradition. And seeing as this is DOOM 3 we're talking about, I think you know the answer. Any questions? No? Howabout answers? HEY! HOWDIDU KNOW THAT?!?

I don't mind not having a use key as long as the new way of "using" is easily done. Since it's in the future, door should open by themselves or you just click on a console to open the door. Having a kind of keyboard Flash interface for operating machinery would be nice.

In Deus Ex, you could use your numpad for some door look and I found it pretty cool. So no, I don't care if the "use" is gone.

Sephiroth said:

let me rephrase, yes doom will have the use key. why not? many FPS that are singal player have one

Single player Quakes have no use key. Nobody thought complaining about it ! So why doing it for Doom 3 ? Gameplay will be more simple, natural thus more immersive without it. As Quake :)

I personally like the use key in games such as Doom and to be quite frank, I want a use key In Doom III, but thats just my opinion, and it doesnt matter, never has, never will.

The reason I like no use key in quake, is at least when I play it, alls I do is just have massive deathmatches and thats it, IMO no use key so that the doors open automaticly is a better thing for Deathmatching for me, and it also speeds up the game because there is no need to stop and wait for a door to open after u stop and press the use to to open it.

About this mouse manipulation thing, how is it activated? Run on to something to start mouse manipulation i.e. to use it? What if you were to accidentally touch it or do so in combat?

Doom 3 needs a use key.

MRB_Doom said:

The use key can be optional.

Great idea.
Make it optional, so people will stop whining.

Disorder said:

Great idea.
Make it optional, so people will stop whining.

Uhh, I take it the quoted post is a seconded, so I'll have to say:
Thirded.

Heh, does it matter? Who knows how it will turn out. No idea how the game will play either untill I've tried it. I'm not an "expectant" person in relation to games anyway. I prefer to judge things when they are before me. If I end up digging DOOM III, fine, if I don't, so what...

i dont know why so many ppl want a use key when id implements a "sophisticated flash-like character-to-terminal interface". the use key is totally obsolete now. and to those doods who fear they cant run along walls pressing the use key to find some secret areas: id will surely find another way to make the search for secrets interesting :) - it's anyways dull to run along walls pressing ALT and hope that the wall opens. they might put in some shootable buttons on the ceiling etc...

id better put in the old cheat codes :) just for the reminiscence(spelled right?).

uniQ said:

i dont know why so many ppl want a use key when id implements a "sophisticated flash-like character-to-terminal interface". the use key is totally obsolete now. and to those doods who fear they cant run along walls pressing the use key to find some secret areas: id will surely find another way to make the search for secrets interesting :) - it's anyways dull to run along walls pressing ALT and hope that the wall opens. they might put in some shootable buttons on the ceiling etc...

id better put in the old cheat codes :) just for the reminiscence(spelled right?).

In case you haven't seen some of the arguments on this forum, lemme re-state some of them for you: A use key could prevent annoying situations where you in the middle of a firefight accidentally get too close to a door or a switch and thus operates it without you wanting to, possibly resulting in doors opening up to new areas with more monsters to make your already troublesome situation even more troublesome.

These situations occur in the Quake games and sometimes they are extremely annoying.
So in my eyes, a Use key is not just a damn gimmick - it's a safety against abovementioned situations.

There is one advantage to having no use key, if you stand close to a door, it won't automatically close in your face when you're trying to line up a shot, or throw a grenade and have the door close on your face at the last minuet. Bouncing the grenade back at you. Or even worse, having the door close on your face just before you launch a rocket. Stuff like that happened to me all the time in RtCW. Of coarse, the easy way around that is to not have automatic closing doors. (i.e. they only close when you trigger them to. Why they decided that wooden doors should automatically close in RtCW is something I’ll never understand.

dsm said:

In case you haven't seen some of the arguments on this forum, lemme re-state some of them for you: A use key could prevent annoying situations where you in the middle of a firefight accidentally get too close to a door or a switch and thus operates it without you wanting to, possibly resulting in doors opening up to new areas with more monsters to make your already troublesome situation even more troublesome.

These situations occur in the Quake games and sometimes they are extremely annoying.
So in my eyes, a Use key is not just a damn gimmick - it's a safety against abovementioned situations.

that would be really annoying. but my thoughts are that id will make heavy use of this new interface - therefore i cant see the problem that nearly "every" door has a button/panel on wich you can "use" the interface seamlessly. moreover i dont think that every future phobos(mars?) station doors must be opened manually - except the ones leading out to the surface, security and private doors.

did anyone thought of how this new flash-interface might work? if you are in action and suddenly come near a panel will your character suddenly put away his weapon just to diplay the mouse-cursor? this would suck. so id will possible implement some kind of use-key anyways....or?

uniQ said:

did anyone thought of how this new flash-interface might work? if you are in action and suddenly come near a panel will your character suddenly put away his weapon just to diplay the mouse-cursor? this would suck. so id will possible implement some kind of use-key anyways....or?

That´s exactly the problem... the only possibility to get it working without some sort of use key (more precisely, a key to activate the new flash interface), would be that you only enter the interface when you directly face a console or panel and stand pretty close to it.

uniQ said:

moreover i dont think that every future phobos(mars?) station doors must be opened manually - except the ones leading out to the surface, security and private doors.

That didn't seem to be the case in the E3 presentation - every door was opened when the player walked up to the door itself.

hmmm...this all means that id has to implement some mechanism to activate the flash-interface; this fact shows that they have some kind of use-key. maybe the article meant a solely use-key will not be put in but a key to switch to interface mode.

yes the demo showed that the most doors opened automatically - this maybe the exact behavior of future mars/phobos lab doors :)

in fact we dont know anything about how id will handle this issue in the end. but a mix between panel/button and automatic doors will be most likely. imho automatic doors can add some more thrill to the game. btw how does a lost soul (or compareable "handi"caped monsters)open a manual door ;)

Thats not the point. Yea, the PDA and the manipulation interface are good, but I still think there should be a key to activate the interface.

dsm said:

That didn't seem to be the case in the E3 presentation - every door was opened when the player walked up to the door itself.

Doesn't he open a door, right after the second tentacle guy, by entering a code?

I agree with MRB_Doom, Disorder, and dsm, make the damned thing optional. This way you can satisfy everyone.

I don't think something like a Use Key can be optional.