Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Payload4367

ALIENS: ERADICATION (UPDATE)

17 minutes ago, AffanDede said:

Another "Payload" Paul project? This should be interesting.

It's certainly different. Let me know what you think.

Here is my recent playthrough as a Merc on Swarms of Aliens difficulty:

Three reasons why I used GZDoom's alternate HUD:

1) Easier to read (colors & size options), only thing missing was available turrets.

2) Playing at 1920x1080 the health bar at the top of the screen is cut off OR if HUD preserves aspect ratio is enabled its off the screen.

3) I forget number three ... wait, thats it, I can see the item/secret/enemy count, helpful for confirming kills and what not.

Great mod, very happy the Alien Trilogy mod is still gettin' that sweet sweet home cooked lovin'. I cannot wait for more.

Potential improvements:

1) Wish all weapons had iron site mode and secondary fire.

2) Movable flood lights.

3) More interactive containers such as the lockers.

4) Underscores make it easier for the (casual) end user: Alien Trilogy Payload Edition.pk3 becomes Alien_Trilogy_Payload_Edition.pk3

5) Worms (not in this playthrough) seem harder to kill then they should be, maybe its the size.

Thanks for playing and commenting.

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:05 PM, Kills Alone said:

1) Wish all weapons had iron site mode and secondary fire.

I'm still learning to mod at this point (more of a mapper really), but I'm getting better and will if I can.

2) Movable flood lights.

I have yet to use those...guess it's a good time to check em out, because that sounds like a solid idea.

3) More interactive containers such as the lockers.

Another good idea.

4) Underscores make it easier for the (casual) end user: Alien Trilogy Payload Edition.pk3 becomes Alien_Trilogy_Payload_Edition.pk3

Will do, thanks.

5) Worms (not in this playthrough) seem harder to kill then they should be, maybe its the size.

I have never even looked at their health...lol...I'll look into it.

Thanks again, now I'm gonna sit back and watch your video.

Edited by Payload4367

4 minutes ago, Payload4367 said:

I have never even looked at their health...lol...I'll look into it. 

Might not be the health, could be their overall speed combined with small size. Didn't encounter them often enough to say for sure.

Here is my recent playthrough as a Merc on Swarms of Aliens difficulty:

By the way, that playthrough and editing in the video is fantastic. Great job! Thanks for featuring my stuff on your channel.

Thanks Payload, when I don't have the time for serious modding/mapping I still like to offer any support or insight I can.

Forgot to say I really appreciate open ended maps like this where the approach is left up to the player and how the level opened up more over time allowing further exploration and back-tracking. Great stuff.

Recently I was thinking how would semi-dynamic enemy spawns work so the player cannot memorize them all. The player class option works pretty well in that respect.

Starting as Colonist is interesting what with just a pistol, the friendly AI were a neat touch as well. Curious, did I cheat by grabbing the flamethrower early?

This is definitely the best Aliens themed ZDoom map I've played on, of course it couldn't have happened without Kontra_Kommando's efforts. :)

1 hour ago, Kills Alone said:

Curious, did I cheat by grabbing the flamethrower early?

No, that secret is there for the player to access even without the yellow key if they notice how to get there. The player still needs the key to progress past that secret area so the map doesn't break. In later builds I plan on making it a little harder to get some of the weapons not given by the class chosen, so gameplay elements like the pistol's inability to break open vents becomes a larger factor providing a little more gameplay variety. The combat synth can't use med kits now, and must find repair stations in the map that have finite resources. Looking to create as much variety between the classes as possible. Thinking out loud :)

Brings me back to a decade and a half ago, when I used to play AVP2...

A total change from Dark Encounters, but still nice to play.

I felt just slightly disappointed when you spoke about choosing class, I thought I could choose also from Alien or Predator class. :D

I will try to provide some feedback asap.

1 hour ago, Kyoh1 said:

Brings me back to a decade and a half ago, when I used to play AVP2...

A total change from Dark Encounters, but still nice to play.

I felt just slightly disappointed when you spoke about choosing class, I thought I could choose also from Alien or Predator class. :D

I will try to provide some feedback asap. 

Thanks a bunch.

lol...sorry to pull the rug out from under ya' about the classes, but you should be pleased to know that the Predators do make an appearance in later maps along with other enemies. Still can't play as them though :)

Some playtesting footage. With each class having it's own unique enemies, items, stories, set piece encounters as well as their placement on the map, it's like making 4 maps in one. Slow going... Some classes even have their own areas on the map accessible to only that class. Try the demo of map1 in the OP.

Work continues with vigor on this project :)

Posting a lot over at Moddb. https://www.moddb.com/members/payload4367/blogs

Maps 1 and 2 are officially done. Playtesting and all. On to testing and tweaking Map 3. The map build is complete just needs some final polish. All the basic mapping through map 05 is done.

Other changes/additions (not yet updated in demo version):

Spoiler

• The Aliens are more deadly with some small adjustments to their behavior. Often, it seemed they would thrust into you but not connect with an attack, so I shortened the response time between states. I felt the xenomorphs should be something you don't want to get next to...at all.
  • The Mercenary enemy can now fire grenades (much like the player class) along with its pulse rifle attack. Unlike the player grenades, the enemy grenades bounce a few times before detonating. This gives the player a chance to move to safety.
  • The Mercenary enemy has a shoulder lamp with dynamic light bound to the actor.
  • The Yuntani Operative enemy can employ a flamethrower (much like the player class). Once within range, the enemy will switch from the pulse rifle to the flamethrower. This enemy is not featured in the available demo and will appear in later maps in the game.
  • Some Aliens can spit acid that can hurt the player on impact or by leaving a nasty pool of acid to be stepped on. This enemy is not featured in the available demo and will appear in later maps in the game.
  • Added brightmaps for select textures and sprites.

At this point in the story...

Spoiler

• The Mercenary class will be faced with a choice. Join the colonists and abandon their plundering of valuable intel, or continue their criminal deeds and murder all colonists on sight. Will the colonist's pleas convince you that there is no other way to survive the alien onslaught?
  • The Colonist will discover the magnitude of the danger he has been thrown into, as you face the first wave of marauding mercenaries, bent on profiting from the secret research underway at the colony.
  • The Yutani-operative must continue his "leave no witnesses" mission, with the alien horde making this increasingly more difficult.
  • The Combat-synthetic battles through swarms of aliens in an attempt to clear the colony of the biological threat.

Optimized and cleaned up maps 1 and 2 to improve performance and maintain 60+fps.

Testing PC specs: IntelXeon CPU 2.13GHz Win10 64bit GeforceGTX960

Demo Download (only works in v.3.7.2 or newer): http://www.mediafire.com/file/a2fj2old4awkddl/ALIENS_ERADICATION_DEMO.zip/file

Screenshot_Doom_20190928_173413.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190928_173547.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190928_173711.png

Updated the DEMO to version 3 with 2 maps and lots of changes and improvements.

Link in OP along with more info.

New video by KillsAlone:

3 hours ago, Firedust said:

The screenshot link doesn't seem to be working.

Dang it. This is my first attempt at using imgur. I must be doing something wrong. I'll check into it. Thanks.

"Payload4367 has released an 8-map action survival game for use with Kontra Kommando’s Aliens Trilogy (Payload edition) mod on GZDoom. And, ironically, this fan-made Aliens game is more faithful – and a better retro-experience – than Aliens: Colonial Marines."

https://www.dsogaming.com/news/aliens-eradication-is-an-8-map-action-survival-game-for-gzdoom-and-is-available-for-download/