Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CaptainMitchell

I need some Feedback on a new map

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

So here is my dilemma. I have made a new map. Here is a doom builder view of it.

1L5saOY.jpg

So what is my issue? I feel like it is TOO SIMILAR to Sigil. I basically wanted to try my hand at making something that might fit in with Sigil and I feel like it copies it too much. So i'm gonna upload the first playable version of the map. And I want peoples feedback on whether or not its just a straight rip off or an actual original work that happens to have Sigil elements in it. 

DOWNLOAD LINK IS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE POST

 

Made in GZDoomBuilder 

This is my first time using custom textures and the textures I ended up using were MIDVINE1 and SKY3 from a texture pack that was a conversion from Doom 1 to Doom 2

Which you can find here

https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152/607-doom-textures-for-doom-ii#preview
Conversion: SargeBaldy
Author: id Software
Submitted: Tormentor667

 

I am currently looking into properly crediting others work as I update this. I believe there was a txt template around here somewhere.

 

Tested with the following

DOOM2

GZDoom

Software Rendering

No Jump

No Freelook

No Crouch

No mods

 

UPDATE: MAP01 has been updated and I am satisfied with how it came out. I'm going to work on adding more maps to the wad (which I now have a name for) and i'll post a proper Map Release Post once I am done. For now though i'll leave the updated MAP01 here for anyone to stumble upon and play!

 

Here are some screenshots of the map

cT68m0Z.png

w5aDn93.png

QKPqMxy.png

IPl6IPS.png

 

 

Sheogouths Despair.zip

Edited by CaptainMitchell : Map has been updated

Share this post


Link to post

To be honest, I was expecting something straight copycat of Sigil, but seems you can call it more inspired. Yes, people can recognise particular map places from where you took inspiration, but seems it keeps your own touch. Other people could say more about this. 

Share this post


Link to post

Tbh, i really liked it, reminded me of Sigil, because of these eye-switches that you have to shoot, but in the open section of the map behind the blue door, there wasn't enough ammunition, you cold add box of shotgun shells or ammunition, but in overall, the map is really fun to play and id wish it was longer, also i recorded a demo, i used only keyboard so it might look a bit weird (sorry for my English, by the way :) )

placeholderpiesunisko.rar

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, piesunisko said:

Tbh, i really liked it, reminded me of Sigil, because of these eye-switches that you have to shoot, but in the open section of the map behind the blue door, there wasn't enough ammunition, you cold add box of shotgun shells or ammunition, but in overall, the map is really fun to play and id wish it was longer, also i recorded a demo, i used only keyboard so it might look a bit weird (sorry for my English, by the way :) )

placeholderpiesunisko.rar

I gave it a watch and I see what you mean about the ammo. I played this over and over and over again to try and balance the ammo count with the difficulty of the monsters but in the process I stopped accounting for the fact new players are not going to know they need to preserve their ammo for outdoor portion of the map. 1 or 2 more shells should do it I think.

3 hours ago, Misty said:

To be honest, I was expecting something straight copycat of Sigil, but seems you can call it more inspired. Yes, people can recognise particular map places from where you took inspiration, but seems it keeps your own touch. Other people could say more about this. 

Thank you for the feedback! It's good to hear that it feels different enough to be called its own thing while still being obvious that its inspired by Sigil.

Share this post


Link to post

I played the WAD too. I think it's a nice, SIGIL inspired map, not a rip-off. My biggest criticism is, that as a single map so far, it's too short. It was over when I started having fun.

 

See the playthrough here 

 

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Patrick B. said:

I played the WAD too. I think it's a nice, SIGIL inspired map, not a rip-off. My biggest criticism is, that as a single map so far, it's too short. It was over when I started having fun.

 

 

I should probably post that I tested it without freelook but I absolutely understand what you mean about using it anyways, I recently learned how to enforce those rules and I just don't want to because I don't want to force players to play the way I play. Like I said, I only tested with those settings, but you can play it however you want! Thank you for playing the map! At the moment I am working on a Map02 for the wad but I don't know if anything will come of it. I also increased the length of MAP01 since that seems to be a common criticism.

Share this post


Link to post

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/446480832

 

I playtest this at 2:29:30 into this livestream. Heavily SIGIL inspired (as expected), but was fun to play. I wouldn't worry about your problem too much, as countless other mappers will be inspired by SIGIL for years to come, especially if they're making Ultimate Doom maps. After all, people still "rip off" Plutonia.....

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/446480832

 

I playtest this at 2:29:30 into this livestream. Heavily SIGIL inspired (as expected), but was fun to play. I wouldn't worry about your problem too much, as countless other mappers will be inspired by SIGIL for years to come, especially if they're making Ultimate Doom maps. After all, people still "rip off" Plutonia.....

Gave it a watch and thank you for the kind words at the end of the playthrough! Been taking a quick break from mapping because I felt like I ran out of ideas and its nice to hear good things about the map. I want to add more maps into the wad and I already have a map02 and part of map03, map04 created. But I think I burned myself out cause I started to REALLY slow down on map03. Have not touched it in quite a few days. Because I used so many aspects of sigil in map01, i'm now sitting here like, alright what if I made a city map that has been torn apart and has what looks like hell growing everywhere? I don't have a story for this WAD so I could just throw a random city map in there and it should be fine. The hard part is just making a map and going, Could this be a part of sigil if sigil had more maps? Most of the time its no but I still like it enough to continue on and make something out of it. It might just be better to have one or two maps be inspired by sigil and then just move on and do something else with the rest of the wad.

 

EDIT: Also yes I agree it could be MUCH darker

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×