Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stphrz

Yeah sure.

http://www.cnn.com/2002/TECH/space/10/17/xprize.contest/index.html

Ok so the prize is ten million dollars. I want to know how it would be possible to design, build, and launch a manned spaceship into space and bring it safely back to earth for under ten million dollars. Could it even be done for 20 times that amount?

Maybe if the prize was ten billion dollars.

I think Carmack has been working too hard.

They all have too much time on their hands. But I hope this works. Heh, think I'll find out more.

stphrz said:

Ok so the prize is ten million dollars. I want to know how it would be possible to design, build, and launch a manned spaceship into space and bring it safely back to earth for under ten million dollars.

I doubt they're looking to make money initially. The ten million prize is probably more of a slight incentive. The motivation might be more for the adventure of it (remember that some people have spent more than ten million dollars just to be a "space tourist"), or looking ahead to spin-offs and getting a slice of the space tourism industry in the future.

Your attitude is exactly the sort of thing that Carmack and his team and going to try and dispel.

To send a person into space, you basically need a big tank of propellant with a person sitting on top. Get the propellant going and aim straight up about sixty miles. That's it, really. Carmack and his team have designed a rocket that has lifted a guy 5 feet in the air and back down safely. Sixty miles is only 63360 times further. Just need bigger tanks and bigger rockets :P

Seems to me that getting the thing back down safely is the bigger challenge...

Linguica said:

Your attitude is exactly the sort of thing that Carmack and his team and going to try and dispel.

Well let's just hope nobody dies trying. It may not be impossible but it will be dangerous in the extreme and imo reckless and irresponsible.

hey it would be cool 'carmack in space'. do u think the mother ship will have a doom or Id logo on it? personaly i would like to see something like that be done. it would be a cool project.

given the technology that was aviable then it should be a easy thing to do. just the only set backs are time and money( oh and the big boys up stairs) hell a hand calculator is more powerful now than the command moduel of most space ships of the 1960's. i predict the challenge would be in a cheap and easy to use fuel. but all the plans and math has already been done. you just need to know how to use it and where to find it

Sephiroth said:

hey it would be cool 'carmack in space'. do u think the mother ship will have a doom or Id logo on it? personaly i would like to see something like that be done. it would be a cool project.

You read my mind!