Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

PrBoom+ name bikeshedding

My own personal suggestion would be "ProBoom" which has a clear lineage from PrBoom+, suggests it's for "pros" (e.g. speedrunners), is easier to say and spell and possibly remember, and would make it easier to have a decent google result for it instead of a number of conflicting and aged sources, and doesn't have any possible trademark issues cough cough!

And this is all bikeshedding meant to distract you from the boring important work. Ha! Dance monkeys dance! Maybe I should set off some more hot takes! The Boom engine is bad actually!

10 hours ago, geo said:

Boom 2 seems like the best real name.

Wait, that's actually genius. If there's Boom, why is there no Boom 2: Hell on Earth?

1 hour ago, Zeskofp said:

Wait, that's actually genius. If there's Boom, why is there no Boom 2: Hell on Earth?

The Ultimate Boom

TUBoom

Stands for both The Ultimate Boom and The Universal Boom

or Turbo Universal Boom, the engine could play nuts.wad without problem and that seems turbo cool for me

I have to mention that there are some bugs in my PrBoom+ build, like slight audio/video desync when recording demos with audio commentary, wrong setting for default audio recording device (it selects the first device in list rather than default one), and there is a lot of stuff I would have done in my build, but for now I don't have time for it.

11 minutes ago, cybermind said:

I have to mention that there are some bugs in my PrBoom+ build, like slight audio/video desync when recording demos with audio commentary, wrong setting for default audio recording device (it selects the first device in list rather than default one), and there is a lot of stuff I would have done in my build, but for now I don't have time for it.

Thanks for the advice. Unfortunately this is something I won't be able to correct so I'll most likely leave that feature out then. I did a merge in a separate branch to do some testing on it, but that's all for now.

I'm going to have to agree with the people not seeing a problem if the "Pr" came from some long-departed coder historically.  I always assumed it was just "Pro Recording Boom" or something along those lines given its popularity in the demo recording circuit.

I dislike the "+" though, given how often I'll refer to just "PrBoom" meaning the latest iteration, meaning PrBoom+, and get some reply along the lines of "ACKSHUALLY only PrBoom+ has that not PrBoom".  Does a long-dead dead end predecessor that's been clearly superceeded really have that much relevance that the distinction is needed?  But then I also still say "ZDoom" even though it's really only GZDoom nowadays, maybe that's a me problem.

ProBoom sounds like the option I'd back out of those mentioned.

I support "PROBoom", which stands for "Pointless Renaming Of Boom".

New name, new name...

PrBoom...

RpBoom...

RBDoom...

ARBY'sDoom!!!

Taking a similar tack to Doom Retro's Google search name recognition, people and stoners everywhere trying to GrubHub a roast beef and cheddar can (re)discover this beloved part of gaming history.

If that isn't aggressive enough I suggest doing a point release that intentionally breaks demo support and touts it as a new feature. We'll call that release: NewBoomTM.  Then, when outrage from the community is about to hit its breaking point, another point release that restores demo support named PrBoom ClassicTM.  The genius of this tactic is that nothing like it has ever been tried before.

To specify: it doesn't have the issues with Zenimax possibly sending a nasty letter, which is the thing that is most relevant at the moment, being as it just happened.

I agree with ProBoom aka PrBoom to alleviate trademark concerns.

@Bauul raise a good point. PrBoom+ ?

Edited by xvertigox

2 hours ago, unpleasantmarine said:

https://www.ocwhite.com/broadcast-arms/proboom.html

First google result for ProBoom literally has a TM symbol right next to it lmao

Hmm, searches for "ProBoom" do show ProBoom is very much an existing thing and very much a registered trademark.  Google pulled up 118,000 results - if making the source port more searchable is a goal, this might be a bit of a poor choice.

But "ProBoom+" has just 7 hits on Google, one of which being this page, and the other six being misspellings of PRBoom+.  If we don't mind the +, it could work.

(sighs) that's why democracy never works when applied wrong. if you'll give people the right to invent their own variants, it will go on forever. illusion of free choice works much better: three or five choices, one good, other from worser to worsest, and voila: the name you wanted, and happy people thought that ther choice matters.

i am still standing on "PerfectBoom", tho. haters gonna hate, so let's give them a visible.. ahem... perfect reason, so they won't dig deeper.

I still stand by my suggestion, UBoom/UBoom+, whatever way you want to capitalize the letters.

My dream vision is to just merge PrBoom+ and Eternity into a single powerful port. I can't see anything mutually exclusive between them. 

12 minutes ago, printz said:

My dream vision is to just merge PrBoom+ and Eternity into a single powerful port.

I wish this would happen too (but unfortunately I don't think this could ever happen).

7 hours ago, printz said:

My dream vision is to just merge PrBoom+ and Eternity into a single powerful port. I can't see anything mutually exclusive between them. 

The biggest problem may be some of the messy code that is necessary to handle some edge cases of demo playback. I think without some compromising on what demos are supported this may turn out a lot trickier than expected. Don't forget: Eternity already transitioned to C++ and in the process eliminated a considerable amount of code mess, while PrBoom remained C and unfortunately saw a lot of code being added that really isn't nice to look at.

Of course, you'll also need some fundamental overhaul of the hardware renderer to deal with portals. And with the GL rendering code this may be a bit of a problem, so you'll probably have to use GZDoom's renderer instead. However, not even GZDoom can do all of Eternity's portal features (mainly due to lack of testing material, it's not easy to stress test such a thing with no maps.)

@Graf Zahl I'm not afraid of code internals, but thinking of it, I have a feeling that people flock to PrBoom+ because they like the MBF limits, both when mapping and modding. Putting Eternity on top of it would dilute this incentive. I know I started a project on MBF specifically because I wanted to be confined to BEX and Boom mapping. Didn't people similarly resist against UMAPINFO? 

11 hours ago, printz said:

Didn't people similarly resist against UMAPINFO? 

I guess we'll have to wait until some mod appears that may benefit from using it.

On 6/19/2019 at 2:33 PM, Linguica said:

To specify: it doesn't have the issues with Zenimax possibly sending a nasty letter, which is the thing that is most relevant at the moment, being as it just happened.

inb4 Boomworld?

I propose the name "GZBoom", which sidesteps the name obscurity problem (both "GZDoom"and "Boom" already have name recognition). It would be easy to compensate for the loss of the "PR" etc. with respect to attribution by specifically mentioning the port's history highlighting major milestones in the in-game credits page (instead of just a no-context list), in addition to being mentioned in accompanying documentation. Confusion with "GZDoom" is unlikely for most users (just as they weren't confused by the difference between "Doom" and "Boom"). The fact that it has already been mentioned in this thread (albeit in a negative light) suggests that it is also a logical choice for a title, keeping semantic load low.

PROBoom was a good idea but if the name is trademarked, that will not hapen.

I suggest to remove the + and to name it either PRBoomE (for evolved) or PRBoomU (for ultimate).

"GZBoom" would make things even more confusing than they already are.

Also in re: ProBoom, just because a word has been trademarked does not mean it is off limits. ProBoom® has a trademark on the word as used in commerce as International Class 009: ARTICULATED MICROPHONE ARM, which includes the following:

CLASS 9 (Electrical and scientific apparatus) Scientific, nautical, surveying, electric, photographic, cinematographic, optical, weighing, measuring, signaling, checking (supervision), lifesaving and teaching apparatus and instruments; apparatus for recording, transmission or reproduction of sound or images; magnetic data carriers, recording discs; automatic vending machines and mechanisms for coin operated apparatus; cash registers, calculating machines, data processing equipment and computers; fire-extinguishing apparatus.

As a Doom source port would not obviously fall under this class (class 42 instead includes "software development, programming and implementation, computer programming, computer software design, maintenance of computer software"), the term would not be precluded.

If you disagree, please provide an explanation of the existence of the following trademark certificate:

dXcMjFI.jpg