Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

PrBoom+ name bikeshedding

1 hour ago, -TDRR- said:

As i see it, it would be a crime to not merge. Althrough i would definitely wait until Eternity got some GL3D renderer because that's a very important option in PrBoom.

How do you people imagine the merging of two code bases which have diverged for 20 years looks like? Gosh, I can't even make it to "merge" Boom into Crispy, because the code has literally changed *all over the place*.

(small sidenote) why all "z"s there? this has nothing in common with [G]ZDoom, except Graf and some code to parse text files.

On 6/27/2019 at 9:17 PM, fabian said:

How do you people imagine the merging of two code bases which have diverged for 20 years looks like? Gosh, I can't even make it to "merge" Boom into Crispy, because the code has literally changed *all over the place*.

Indeed. It's not that easy  - and there's one other thing to remember: Even though Eternity has retained demo compatibility does not mean it's a classic engine by any means, it's a totally different, far more complex beast.

Let's see how this stacks up:

PrBoom is very much a classic engine, it runs everything with its original code that has been tweaked for the various differences that exist between implementations.

GZDoom, obviously, is the opposite, it has modernized its core and runs everything through it, with some compatibility glue to keep old things working as they should.

Eternity, however, is a hybrid. It contains both classic code and modernized code and switches code paths depending on compatiblity and feature needs. Running the game through the modern, portal-aware code path would most certainly desync a vanilla demo just as quickly as it would in ZDoom.

So, unlike PrBoom it will often not even execute the classic code, which, logically, is incapable of handling portals and other feature extensions.

Many of PrBoom's compatibility tweaks are actually extremely invasive (and often very dirty) changes that will be hard to port to a more complex setup because they have to emulate memory corruption or other subtle side effects. The limits this imposes to how certain data structures can be reorganized are a lot more severe than what an engine can get away with that aims for basic demo compatibility instead of perfect demo compatibility.

Thanks to all this (and still being written in plain C) PrBoom+'s source is extremely messy in parts, which is quite the opposite of Eternity's code.

They'd clash by coding style alone.

On 6/30/2019 at 12:56 PM, ketmar said:

(small sidenote) why all "z"s there? this has nothing in common with [G]ZDoom, except Graf and some code to parse text files.

Yeah. While not actually a registered trademark, the only port(s) using a 'Z' should be those which are actually compatible with ZDoom, because that is what most users expect and imply. If it has to be the last letter of the alphabet, how about Omega? ;)

The ampersand was considered the last letter of the alphabet in American schools for a while, that's even the origin of its name.

On 7/5/2019 at 4:04 PM, Marn said:

Vroom 

Too close to Vavoom.

28 minutes ago, Armaetus said:

Too close to Vavoom.

but that's great! people will look for new prboom, hit vavoom instead, then k8vavoom, and voila: k8vavoom is instantly popular!

It seems bizarre to me that so many people want to rename an obscurely-named, albeit popular, Doom port and not explicitly have the word "Doom" in the new name... Yet expect buy-in from both the community and the Google-searching internet at large. If you could get away with calling it something like ClassicDoom or EnhancedDoom (shortenings like EDoom obviously being the main way of labelling it), that would be ideal. It tells people what they're getting at a glance and would sound definitive enough to be the prboom+ replacement it's meant to be.

UBoom is good! AlexMax nailed it imo.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:04 AM, AlexMax said:

I like this.

1. It makes it clear that it's a Boom derivative.
  2. It's not yet another "extension" of the existing prefix or suffix.
  3. The port's headliner feature is UMAPINFO.  U just makes sense in that context.

And, for those wanting a more playful name (I consider this more of a bonus than a real selling argument, lol), UBoom also gives you that hint of the cheeky "Boom 2" sequel name: Ultimate Boom