Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CommanderRex328

What are your fav and least fav or hated doom textures?

Yeah, Doom textures. its what makes up the map. some textures are really good. you'd love to use them in your maps, for me. COMPSPAN and the bluelines computer one is something i'd use most of the time. i dont know, i really like it. silverwalls...doors, what they look like. what they make you feel like.

there's some bad ones such as....SP_FACE. *UGH* i hate that texture....and E2M4, but thats another thing. so yeah, go ahead. what is your favourite texture and your least fav, if you dont have any least fav or worst. then dont mention it, but if something can come close. sure go ahead.

I love all of Plutonia's brick textures. There's lots of variety to their colors, they fit well in a lot of situations, and they can look good even if mass painted over an entire structure as long as a little bit of care is taken. One minor gripe is that they are divided into sixths by default, which makes them hard to align at heights other than 64 or 128, but "fixed" versions are pretty easy to find.

Good shit right here:

DkqFHTv.png

On the exact opposite hand, I am not a fan at all of most of TNT's custom textures. Many of them look very amateurish, they frequently clash with the rest of the environment around them, and many of them suffer from artifacts from their conversion to Doom's palette. Now to me this actually helps to add a bit to TNT's charm, but none of them could be used seriously in a modern mapset in my opinion (feel free to prove me wrong).

My least favorite: Clearly the Doom 2 "city" textures like windows etc.

My favorite ones: Those which even look nice when you construct larger structures out of them. BROWNGRN is a good example for this. And those Plutonia brick textures are surprisingly versatile, they work for tech maps, for cities but also for more hellish or abstract fare.

shawn2 in dark areas is amazing, just this unreal blurry metallic gradient. sp_hot anywhere especially when it clashes with the palette.

least fave: metal2. a texture you can't misuse, totally boring >:))))))

Favourite? The fleshy textures are great, especially when combined with some metal of your choice. I particularly like the open eye switch as a decorative texture.

Least? The so-called "cement" textures. They look like filthy toilet tiles that haven't been cleaned in years.

Do flats count? For some reason I really like that blue carpet(?) flat, as well as the metal hexagon tiles from E1.

As for actual textures: big fan of STARTAN3 and STARG3. Not so much STARTAN2 though. :P Also waterfall textures and SP_ROCK/ROCKRED.

Least favorite? Tempted to say the gray textures, since they can look pretty bland at times and remind me of the unfinished alpha maps. That one with the big ass red line going down it is particularly hideous though. At least the others still have their uses in certain situations but that one is irredeemable. 

Edited by TheMightyHeracross

3 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

That one with the big ass red line going down it is particularly hideous though. 

THIS.

6 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

That one with the big ass red line going down it is particularly hideous though. At least the others still have their uses in certain situations but that one is irredeemable. 

Somebody talking bullshit about GREYTALL? I'm sorry but I think you need to leave.

CEIL3_5 and CEIL3_6, it looks off, I don't know what it is about these two but I don't like them.
BRICK3 is probably my favorite, nice, simple but detailed, fits in a lot of spaces and themes.

23 hours ago, Spie812 said:

I love all of Plutonia's brick textures. There's lots of variety to their colors, they fit well in a lot of situations, and they can look good even if mass painted over an entire structure as long as a little bit of care is taken. One minor gripe is that they are divided into sixths by default, which makes them hard to align at heights other than 64 or 128, but "fixed" versions are pretty easy to find.

agreed. i love plutonia's temple like style in the first few maps but if it wasnt for the hitscans. the megawad tires me and turns me off.

23 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

My least favorite: Clearly the Doom 2 "city" textures like windows etc.

GODDAMN YOURE RIGHT, i hate doom 2's city levels because they're mostly a keyfetch and they're ugly brown and grey.

23 hours ago, yakfak said:

shawn2 in dark areas is amazing, just this unreal blurry metallic gradient. sp_hot anywhere especially when it clashes with the palette.

least fave: metal2. a texture you can't misuse, totally boring >:))))))

agreed.

22 hours ago, Spectre01 said:

Favourite? The fleshy textures are great, especially when combined with some metal of your choice. I particularly like the open eye switch as a decorative texture.

Least? The so-called "cement" textures. They look like filthy toilet tiles that haven't been cleaned in years.

the open eye switch is weird...i kinda like it but at the same time its a bit weird.

20 hours ago, TheMightyHeracross said:

Least favorite? Tempted to say the gray textures, since they can look pretty bland at times and remind me of the unfinished alpha maps. That one with the big ass red line going down it is particularly hideous though. At least the others still have their uses in certain situations but that one is irredeemable.

agreed! i hate that one too. 

13 hours ago, wolfmcbeard said:

CEIL3_5 and CEIL3_6, it looks off, I don't know what it is about these two but I don't like them.
BRICK3 is probably my favorite, nice, simple but detailed, fits in a lot of spaces and themes.

indeed, some of the ceiling ones are kinda weird. i do not like to use them in my maps. 

Favorite: REDWALL1 (not REDWALL), TEKWALL1-5, SKINTEK1-2, SP_DUDE6

Least favorite: STARTAN2 (Only because a lot of bad maps use that as their only texture, and it's driven me to hate said texture. However, when used appropriately, STARTAN2 can look decent and result in a pleasant-looking area. BUT WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT ANYMORE, AM I RIGHT!?)

11 hours ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Least favorite: STARTAN2 (Only because a lot of bad maps use that as their only texture, and it's driven me to hate said texture. However, when used appropriately, STARTAN2 can look decent and result in a pleasant-looking area. BUT WHO ACTUALLY DOES THAT ANYMORE, AM I RIGHT!?)

haha, agreed. its getting really overused (in horrible wads) and repetitive now.

SUPPORT3 for lyfe.

My most hated texture is SHAWN2, it's bland and for some reason gets over-used to a ludicrous degree in zDoom maps. I used to dislike GSTONE because it was the default texture for Doom Construction Kit, but over the years I've learned to like it when used in certain ways (for instance, with SUPPORT3).

I really, really like the green Marble series in Doom 2, especially FLOOR7_2. They just tile so well, look amazing and are very versatile. Also MARBGRAY is amazing, I wish they would have had more variants of it back then.

FIREBLU is of course an alltime favourite of EVERYBODY I think, so there is no need to discuss this any further.

What I also really dislike is the CEMENT series, because that shit just looks hideous. I don't know what it is about it, maybe the colors, maybe the blur or the uneven shapes / tiles, it's just very difficult to use and most of the time looks out of place in Doom. COMP01 looks kinda shitty as well, with its off center panel lines and those weird repeating pixels at the bottom. Very lazy, imho. Better use COMSPAN. COMPSPAN is just satisfying to use.

^ Posting to say that FIREBLU is an obnoxious, overused meme texture and I'm tired of it at this point. You have other, better animated textures to work with.

Others that I have a very strong distaste for: STARTAN, BRICK11, SHAWN/SILVER.

Personal favs: METAL2 (I'll use """boring""" textures as I please, ok), GSTVINE, CEMENT, the Plutonia VINES texture, WOOD5, SKINTEK. edit: oh yeah the Plutonia bricks are a+ too

Edited by AD_79

to this day I still hate ASHWALL2 and CEIL5_2. maybe some of you will understand why...

Favorites include STONE2/3, BRWINDOW, BIGBRIK1, and the red and green marbles.

3 hours ago, AD_79 said:

^ Posting to say that FIREBLU is an obnoxious, overused meme texture

Well, I can only say for myself but I don't see it as a meme, I genuinely think it's a pretty cool texture! Probably because it's the most unique and psychedelic out there. I also like the flesh textures, SP_FACE, TEKWALLS and SKINTEK.

To be honest, I can't remember any texture I hate.

Edited by Noiser

Favorites: BRICK7, BRICK11, BRICK12, BROWN1, GRAY1, GRAY4, GRAY7, GSTONE1, METAL, PANxxxx, REDWALL1, ROCKRED#, SKINSYMB, SP_FACE2, STARTAN3, SW#GARG/LION/SATYR, SUPPORT3, TEKGREN#, TEKWALL2, TEKWALL5, WOOD5

Least Favorites: ASHWALL6, ASHWALL7, BROWNWEL, CEMENT#, COMPUTE1, GRAYTALL, METAL1, WOODVERT

34 minutes ago, Noiser said:

Well, I can say for myself that I don't see it as a meme, I genuinely think it's a pretty cool texture! Probably because it's the most unique and psychodelic out there.

Yeah I think there's good uses for it. I wouldn't go making Mt. Erebus FIREBLU buildings though :P

@AD_79 I will make a map full plagued of damaging fireblu everywhere just for you! (jk)

Favourite has to be all the marble and flesh textures, as well as FIREBLU, SP_FACE and the Plutonia textures, and from TNT the always-shootable skull switch maybe. Least favourite might be the CEMENT ones, ASSHITTY or something, though not opposed if used this way.

14 hours ago, AD_79 said:

Personal favs: METAL2 (I'll use """boring""" textures as I please, ok), GSTVINE, CEMENT, the Plutonia VINES texture, WOOD5, SKINTEK. 

it's your choice on using whichever texture you want, its your map...

unless if its SP_FACE (jk)

i seriously really hate SP_FACE.

12 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

@AD_79 I will make a map full plagued of damaging fireblu everywhere just for you! (jk)

Favourite has to be all the marble and flesh textures, as well as FIREBLU, SP_FACE and the Plutonia textures, and from TNT the always-shootable skull switch maybe. Least favourite might be the CEMENT ones, ASSHITTY or something, though not opposed if used this way.

13 hours ago, pcorf said:

Favorites: BRICK7, BRICK11, BRICK12, BROWN1, GRAY1, GRAY4, GRAY7, GSTONE1, METAL, PANxxxx, REDWALL1, ROCKRED#, SKINSYMB, SP_FACE2, STARTAN3, SW#GARG/LION/SATYR, SUPPORT3, TEKGREN#, TEKWALL2, TEKWALL5, WOOD5

Least Favorites: ASHWALL6, ASHWALL7, BROWNWEL, CEMENT#, COMPUTE1, GRAYTALL, METAL1, WOODVERT

13 hours ago, Noiser said:

Well, I can say for myself that I don't see it as a meme, I genuinely think it's a pretty cool texture! Probably because it's the most unique and psychedelic out there. I also like the flesh textures, SP_FACE, TEKWALLS and SKINTEK.

To be honest, I can't remember any texture I hate.

GODDAMN THATS THREE IN A ROW SP_FACE

Wow, its your opinion and its cool if you like SP_FACE but as for me...

I absolutely mucking hate it. i hate it.

screw this texture, its a big giant troll...i have many many many bad memories with it.

I'd honestly make an whole Metal album dedicated to trashing SP_FACE. i hate it and i hate it.

i hate it.

no further comments.

19 minutes ago, CommanderRex328 said:

GODDAMN THATS THREE IN A ROW SP_FACE

Wow, its your opinion and its cool if you like SP_FACE but as for me...

I absolutely mucking hate it. i hate it.

screw this texture, its a big giant troll...i have many many many bad memories with it.

I'd honestly make an whole Metal album dedicated to trashing SP_FACE. i hate it and i hate it.

i hate it.

no further comments.

gosh-diggity-darn-it-i-left-the-door-ope

My most favorite texture is FIREBLU, who doesn't like it? :)

Now, my least favorite texture... not sure.

My least favorite flat, however, would be MFLR8_3, specifically because of MAP13.

if we're including plutonia too, then my favorite is probably the BSTONE + green vines texture that's used all over the place. otherwise though, I really love all the METAL* iwad textures, especially METAL5:

S41F2Ks.png

it doesn't have perfect vertical symmetry which imo makes it a lot more versatile than its more basic brethren METAL2, it's got an awesome color scheme, and it's really easy to "cut" properly at 32/64px intervals. it's perfect for mappers that love orthogonal lines!

least favorites, excluding all the wolfenstein textures, are probably CRACKLE4 or SP_FACE1

Favorite would have to be BSTONE2 it's just a great texture.   

My least favorite is anything in STARTAN, between seeing it as a default texture and then using it on a map that took far to long to map; I just have no love for the texture. I think the grey textures would look better in its place almost every time.  

SP_FACE2 is certainly getting good usage in my latest hellish maps such as the ones that will be in nextADO. I think it looks great when used properly.

Screenshot_Doom_20190502_034830.png

Screenshot_Doom_20180808_022123.png

Edited by pcorf