Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carter

Pipeline (MAP)

This map requires DOOM 2, and it is an single level. There is no map difficulties.

Hey everyone, this is my Third map, (Pipeline). please leave feedback and how I can improve!

Description

You woke up in a strange place, you don't remember much.

All you wanna do, is kill every demon in sight.

Jump and Crouching is Allowed.

Freelook is Allowed.

Screenshots:

1050760680_bandicam2019-06-1708-04-59-582.jpg.7ab8de7068880c4e8557a3d3542ae59b.jpg

1230442881_bandicam2019-06-1708-03-41-742.jpg.1e6b72ac96f8a6a57ca928b8d866434d.jpg

Enjoy!

Download: Pipeline.zip

I've completed your map in 5.24 minutes, with 100% kills, 0% items and 50% secrets.

It was a really simple and easy techbase map (but I have the impression that the idea was to make a challenging level, but you have failed to do that).

Starting with the visuals:

the map is textured everywhere with STARTAN, with blue ceiling ang grey floor and some pipe pillars and brick pedestals as the only form of decoration. There is little to no height variation (some steps, a jump...).

There are also some texture misalignments and a poor use of light variation. 

I also suggest to change the room shape in order to make the map less boxy and to not give the impression of a rectangular maze of corridors and squares.

Thing placement: 

definitly too much ammo and health. In the end I have had at least 6 shell boxes and 5 medkits unused. This incredible quantity of resources makes the map a lot easier than what I think was your original idea. 

I really played it without so much tought on my movements, tanking more and more HK shots.

The cyberdemon is a good boss but he is really harmless considering that he can't exit his room and you are not forced to enter in that room.  Maybe a good idea is to push the player in that room (with an exit signal maybe?), block the exit and release the boss, so that the player can't grind the cybie health out. 

The soulsphere and the RL are totally unnecessary. There is enough life to fight the boss and the SSG is a better weapon against the cyber, having that he is immune to the rocket's splash damage.

General design:

too much cramped corridors, too much simplicity in the overall design and an anonimous architecture. I liked the switch trap, probably because I wasn't kill by it. If I was, probably I would have tought "why is this trap not suggested in some way?"

So, in the end, a simple map, that can be improved in every aspect but that is at least playable and enjoyable for a short and easy slaughter moment

6 hours ago, Simomarchi said:

I've completed your map in 5.24 minutes, with 100% kills, 0% items and 50% secrets.

It was a really simple and easy techbase map (but I have the impression that the idea was to make a challenging level, but you have failed to do that).

Starting with the visuals:

the map is textured everywhere with STARTAN, with blue ceiling ang grey floor and some pipe pillars and brick pedestals as the only form of decoration. There is little to no height variation (some steps, a jump...).

There are also some texture misalignments and a poor use of light variation. 

I also suggest to change the room shape in order to make the map less boxy and to not give the impression of a rectangular maze of corridors and squares.

Thing placement: 

definitly too much ammo and health. In the end I have had at least 6 shell boxes and 5 medkits unused. This incredible quantity of resources makes the map a lot easier than what I think was your original idea. 

I really played it without so much tought on my movements, tanking more and more HK shots.

The cyberdemon is a good boss but he is really harmless considering that he can't exit his room and you are not forced to enter in that room.  Maybe a good idea is to push the player in that room (with an exit signal maybe?), block the exit and release the boss, so that the player can't grind the cybie health out. 

The soulsphere and the RL are totally unnecessary. There is enough life to fight the boss and the SSG is a better weapon against the cyber, having that he is immune to the rocket's splash damage.

General design:

too much cramped corridors, too much simplicity in the overall design and an anonimous architecture. I liked the switch trap, probably because I wasn't kill by it. If I was, probably I would have tought "why is this trap not suggested in some way?"

So, in the end, a simple map, that can be improved in every aspect but that is at least playable and enjoyable for a short and easy slaughter moment

Thanks for the feedback. I will take note of the stuff you mentioned to make my later maps better then this.

I think the idea of a claustrophobic, disorienting techbase is a good one (especially the feeling you tried to go for in the start), but improvement in the execution is needed here.

Secrets are rewarding when you give the player some visual cues, hints, etc. I feel like they're almost ego boosters as much as in-game bonuses, i.e. "Ha - I knew that was a secret!" The first room's secret seemed pretty random, and I also generally don't enjoy walls you can walk through, as it hurts immersion for me (unless the map is paranormal/gimmicky in general).

I was confused about the weapon placement and why there was so much health in the level... and the placement of the medkits, as well. I think adding some purpose to the placement will help.

I also was bored by the many Hell Knights queuing up single-file after me, and by the combat in general. The chaingunner ambush after the blue key did make me jump (nice work), but it was trivial to outrun, so there was no real purpose to it.

Overall - I think you have potential as a new mapper. Be more intentional about your Thing placement, and I think many more will enjoy your work!

I highly suggest removing that switch/crusher trap as it serves no purpose other than instantly killing the player. There's no hint that this was a trap and when it insta-killed me I couldn't help but feel my mood be a bit soured. Also you should find some way to get the player to enter the blinking lights room with all the hell knights, before the hell nights wake up. This will make the fight a lot more engaging as the player will be trapped inside and have to fight their way out, rather than open the door and slowly grind away at the hell knights as the gradually make their way towards the players in a single file line.

On 7/3/2019 at 4:45 PM, Count651 said:

I highly suggest removing that switch/crusher trap as it serves no purpose other than instantly killing the player. There's no hint that this was a trap and when it insta-killed me I couldn't help but feel my mood be a bit soured. Also you should find some way to get the player to enter the blinking lights room with all the hell knights, before the hell nights wake up. This will make the fight a lot more engaging as the player will be trapped inside and have to fight their way out, rather than open the door and slowly grind away at the hell knights as the gradually make their way towards the players in a single file line.

On 7/2/2019 at 11:21 PM, noisebloom said:

I think the idea of a claustrophobic, disorienting techbase is a good one (especially the feeling you tried to go for in the start), but improvement in the execution is needed here.

Secrets are rewarding when you give the player some visual cues, hints, etc. I feel like they're almost ego boosters as much as in-game bonuses, i.e. "Ha - I knew that was a secret!" The first room's secret seemed pretty random, and I also generally don't enjoy walls you can walk through, as it hurts immersion for me (unless the map is paranormal/gimmicky in general).

I was confused about the weapon placement and why there was so much health in the level... and the placement of the medkits, as well. I think adding some purpose to the placement will help.

I also was bored by the many Hell Knights queuing up single-file after me, and by the combat in general. The chaingunner ambush after the blue key did make me jump (nice work), but it was trivial to outrun, so there was no real purpose to it.

Overall - I think you have potential as a new mapper. Be more intentional about your Thing placement, and I think many more will enjoy your work!

On 7/2/2019 at 3:39 PM, Suitepee said:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/447434614

I play this at 1:43:53 into this livestream. Still some work to be done on level design methinks.

Thank you all for the feedback, I will use this feedback for later maps!

Edited by carter1027 : Forgot some feedback in there.