Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Taurus Daggerknight

Bethesda and the Classic iD titles

Earlier I was looking over some stuff about the upcoming Commander Keen, which covered Romero's own reaction to it, as well as Wolf and Doom. During all this, it occured to me that none of the 'soft-reboots'- be it Wolfenstien: The New Order, Doom (2016) or the incoming Commander Keen- actually reboot anything at all. In fact, they all fit into the old time-lines in some way, shape or form, with the possible exception of Wolfenstien 3d itself (which, technically, was rebooting in RTCW). 

To wit;

- Wolfenstien TNO takes place towards the latter end of the war. Some characters from WOlf 2009 show up, unless I'm mistaken, and previous operations are not said to have been retconned. 

- Doom (2016) and its connection to the older games has been covered over the forums here, though curiously, Hugo Martin himself has directly referenced it as a plot point in the upcoming Doom Eternal. 

- Quake Champions has been noted as being a prequel to Arena (no source though... )

- Commander Keen (new one) notes that the protagonists are the kids of the original Keen. Family portraits on the wall of the trailer confirm this. 

This is kind of interesting, as most brand update games tend to go all-in with a reboot. It's more interesting to me that Bethesda seems to be taking this "don't invalidate what was before" approach to all the iD brands, instead of just one or two. 

Of course, this brings me to the question; do you consider this seemingly conscious approach to continue rather than rewrite a good thing, or do you think it's a bit sacrilegious in itself? Would you have prefered they nuke the old canon once and for all instead? 

Personally, I feel like this is the best route they could have taken. Granted, Doom's plot is a little confusing with its seemingly alternate dimension/ different UAC, but at the same time it sort of works too.

31 minutes ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

As a sequel to Quake 1, 2, or a new spin?

probably another deathmatch multiplayer game

it's a reboot taking things from the original, it doesn't really go together completely. doomguy is apperently related bj but in the reboot the doomslayer is a completely different being from argent d'nur. they might be completely different characters  in the same universe and that would be pretty epic but in that case doomguy kills the icon of sin in the original but in the reboot it's supposed to be the doomslayer. so yeah, I think they're just taking stuff from the original they liked but it is a reboot. I just like to imagine that the icon of sin we fought in doom2 is the same 2016 mentions, that just makes the map a lot more interesting.

21 hours ago, Taurus Daggerknight said:

As a sequel to Quake 1, 2, or a new spin?

Sequel to Quake 1.

12 hours ago, Master O said:

Sequel to Quake 1.

noope, they would rather make another generic deathmatch multiplayer game

You're forgetting the most important part: All aspects of the Doom canon, as well as the associated Quake, Wolfenstein, and Commander Keen canon which are unquestionably established to be part of the same universe, don't matter at all since they're simply part of a fictional game series within the RAGE universe, including the upcoming Doom Eternal aka Doom 5.

U8zjTvY.jpg

RAGE 2 is also merely a fictional game within the RAGE universe. Ergo, nothing in the id universe outside of RAGE 1's canon matters anymore, and the only storyline that has any possibility of going anywhere from now on is RAGE itself. However, it needs to be followed up by a sequel than isn't RAGE 2. Additionally, Doom Eternal will add quite literally nothing of value to the known canon. QED.

Ok but do the wizards in the RAGE universe use a magic spell to vanish their own feces? I need to know all the canon there is. 

8 hours ago, Revenant100 said:

U8zjTvY.jpg

people keep telling me this is in Saint Vita Hospital but I could NEVER EVER find it.

Anyway... who would have thought they would eventually get released around the same time (...not to mention released at all)

Now to patiently wait for Quake 43! (as mentioned in Doom 3)

so... quake reboot you say? I got you fam!

Just add the meathook to the quake guy- not to the SSG. Basically make Quake derivative of DOOM, like it was back in the day. Meathooks with Railguns! And place a few grapple-spots on a multiplayer map so that even without enemies you can swing about the place.

Make it play like Helldivers, where you can choose where to smash down in your drop pod (with co-op). It would be easy to add a BR mode and get the community equipped with some editing tools. Make it the low-end f2p version of DOOM with a BR mode. And then every year add another episode of content, some 8-10 stages and what not.  Children addicted XD!

Stroggify the Chthulu so you get the best of Quake 1|2.

Oh, and make the Rail Gun shoot Rails (not cell) and the BFG also shoot Rails (not cell). 8 auto-aiming sniper shots would be fairly comparable to the classical DOOM bfg while not being too overpowered.  Roughly 1/3 the damage but similarly effective.

profit!

Frankly, I just want Id to either confirm or deny already that Doom Slayer and Doom Guy are the same person. Preferably the former. As cool as the Slayer is, having him just be an inter dimensional being kind of takes the magic out of the idea of someone who was just human at some point and that, through eons of fighting became the slayer. I just think it's cooler when a character starts as a nobody and earns his status as opposed to a "chosen one" type of deal.

4 hours ago, HorrorMovieGuy said:

Frankly, I just want Id to either confirm or deny already that Doom Slayer and Doom Guy are the same person.

I don't think they even remotely care about fans' obsessions with such minor and inconsequential details.

46 minutes ago, Graf Zahl said:

I don't think they even remotely care about fans' obsessions with such minor and inconsequential details.

You missed the E3 interview where Hugo Martin said they were going to explain that.