Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

Why Was Doom 4 Called Doom?

Hello. I'm wondering, why did id name this entry Doom and not have 4 in it? My mind is saying that they probably wanted fans to forget about the original game, but I don't believe it. Doom 1 is called Ultimate Doom, so it removes the confusion, but searching up Doom on browsers may not just bring someone to the original game.

Because it is a reboot of the series and to avoid the mistake Doom 3 did (being called as such which implies it's a sequel, when it's in fact a reboot of the series with a different Marine).

But they might have wanted people to forget about classic Doom as well, as strange as it might be. I remember Hugo saying in an interview that he doesn't understand why people started calling the 2016 installment "Doom 2016" as it was not their intention at all.

New generation of players. They like started new for them, but continued for us. 

What Seed said basically. It's a reboot of the Doom series, even though i personally thought that around the Doom 3 era that id Software mentioned that Doom 3 was considered a reboot of sorts. So now i just consider Doom 3 a "re-telling" of the original Doom in a more horror/story driven way while Doom 2016 is supposedly the real reboot i guess.

I also don't care if id Software doesn't like it being called Doom 2016. That's what i personally call it (as a lot of other people do as well). There already is a game titled Doom and it came out in 1993. I can't stand titles that reuse the same name especially when they aren't even made by the same group of people.

So the makers of Doom 2016 want us to forget the classic Doom and embrace their new bastardised crap, eh? Well, f them. I've removed the game from my library for the fourth time today (yes, I bought it four times) and I will never bring it back, and I'm forgetting Doom Eternal as well, it looks like difficult crap. I got the game in the first place as it looked gorgeous, but the system requirements are too high and I can't even afford a graphics card at the moment. I also didn't like the endless Robotron 2084-like combat, the battle areas that are more like arenas, and I dreaded the boss battles.

...exactly what about Doom 2016 makes anyone think that new iD wants anyone to forget about the original? The whole thing is so chalk full of homage's to the classics, from secret levels to the collectibles and in-game mini-games. Doom 2016 is nothing if not a big massive party in honor of Ultimate Doom. To suggest that they were actively trying to bury the original is either incredibly ignorant, or a needlessly vicious insinuation based on nothing. 

I generally favor the notion that it has more to do with appealing to a new generation. Not that I think the new generation is oblivious to what Doom is, which suggests this was entirely a marketing decision. In fact, if anyone can be called out on weird choices at new iD, let's look at their marketing department. The one that decided the big focus of all things for Doom 2016 should be its multiplayer and multiplayer DLC's. 

Why was "Rocky VI" called Rocky Balboa? Why was "Rambo IV" called "Rambo"/"John Rambo"?

Because it's a popular cliche to call reboots with the same name as the original, and I presonally don't like it at all.

Also, yeah, I don't think id wanted people to forget the classics, they just jumped on this reboot naming cliche because it's what many other franchises do.

Ninja Gaiden (arcade)

Ninja Gaiden (NES)

Ninja Gaiden (Game Gear)
Ninja Gaiden (SEGA Master System)

Ninja Gaiden (unreleased SEGA Genesis prototype).

Ninja Gaiden (Xbox)

All entirely different games, same exact title.

So it could be worse.

Windows OS Quick Links
MS-DOS
Windows 1.0 - 2.0
Windows 3.0 – 3.1
Windows 95
Windows 98
Windows ME - Millennium Edition
Windows NT 31. - 4.0
Windows 2000

Windows 2001

Windows 2003

Windows 5.0

Windows 5.1

Windows 6.0
Windows XP
Windows Vista
Windows 7
Windows 8
Windows 10
Windows Server
Windows Home Server
Windows CE
Windows Mobile
Windows Phone 7-10

THERE IS NO WINDOWS 9... -_-

Xbox, Xbox 360, Xbox one, Xbox Scorpio, Xbox Two is Code-named Scarlett and It's Coming in 2020

Ps1 Ps2 Ps3 Ps4 PsV....

On 6/17/2019 at 12:20 PM, seed said:

I remember Hugo saying in an interview that he doesn't understand why people started calling the 2016 installment "Doom 2016" as it was not their intention at all.

Yeah, the Doom community forced their hand on that one. I knew we had won when some id guy (Robert Duffy probably) casually referred to "Doom 2016" when mentioning the game in an interview a while back.

On 6/18/2019 at 2:09 PM, MFG38 said:

Their mistake for dropping the 4.

Partially.

What they actually had to do was to find something else to go along with "Doom", such as, I dunno, "Doom: The Rebirth"? They would have repeated the same mistake they did with Doom 3 that way. Those numbers in the name would, by default, signify the games are a direct or indirect sequel to a previous installment, when in fact, both of them are reboots. I'm glad they chose "Doom Eternal" as the name of the new game, I hope they stick to that formula.

On 6/17/2019 at 8:20 PM, seed said:

I remember Hugo saying in an interview that he doesn't understand why people started calling the 2016 installment "Doom 2016" as it was not their intention at all.

Surly they would have expected this in some way shape or form? when talking about the series there has to be some way to differentiate between two games that are called the same and its usually the latest game that gets the "name change". Sonic '06 for example.

Though with that being said , it does seem bethesda want to do the opposite with the new ports being listed as DOOM classic (1993). 

They should have called it Doom 4 or Doom Reboot. Bethesda just showed how ugly they are by stealing legendary game's name. Now Doom almost always is called "classic Doom" or "original Doom" because pathetic Bethesda have put another Doom on it's shoulders. They are like "Now THIS one is Doom! Are you still wasting your time with classic one?"

1 hour ago, Loud Silence said:

Now Doom almost always is called "classic Doom" or "original Doom" because pathetic Bethesda have put another Doom on it's shoulders.

Pretty sure people were calling Doom 1, 2, and Final Doom as "classic Doom" collectively way before Doom (2016) came around. :P

2 hours ago, Loud Silence said:

They should have called it Doom 4 or Doom Reboot. Bethesda just showed how ugly they are by stealing legendary game's name. Now Doom almost always is called "classic Doom" or "original Doom" because pathetic Bethesda have put another Doom on it's shoulders. They are like "Now THIS one is Doom! Are you still wasting your time with classic one?"

I do it the other way around: I call original Doom "Doom", and Doom (2016) "Doom 2016". But then again, how many people have access to the original Doom these days? That was the name of the Shareware version, but as far as I can see the retail release, Ultimate Doom, has long since superceded it. In any case, I still call it Doom 2016 because, to be honest, the 2016 game is a lame modern riff of the true original classic that apparently steals elements from other contemporary games, like Devil May Cry (from what I've read).

There's a lot of marketing power behind recycled titles in a franchise. Last year's sequel to Halloween just being called Halloween, Final Destination 4 being "The Final Destination", The Fast and The Furious 4 being "Fast & Furious", and a whole lot of remakes/reboots. Generally it makes people feel like a big shakeup is happening, and something is important, or that it will be a return to form after a lot of stray sequels.

By calling this one "DOOM", it's a way of telling everybody "This isn't a Doom sequel, it's not just another Doom game, this is DOOM, all new and standalone". It can be irritating to fans of a franchise but it can be extremely powerful in marketing and it lends the product an air of importance, like it's a big event.

In this case it was also a good way of letting us all know they had started from scratch as well as gone back to the roots of the series. A lot of people didn't think much of Doom 3, and especially not the early Doom 4 information, if it had been called like "Doom Retribution" or some shit it would have attracted fewer new fans.

On 9/5/2019 at 7:17 PM, MoxiumJackal said:

Windows 2001

Windows 2003

Windows 5.0

Windows 5.1

Windows 6.0

Whoah, easy there, dude, you've just made up five operating systems.

On 9/20/2019 at 12:43 AM, Rathori said:

Whoah, easy there, dude, you've just made up five operating systems.

Well, to be fair XP and Vista wouid be 5.1 and 6.0 ( as per the "ver" command) and Windows 2000 would be 5.0. There's a Windows Server 2003, but no idea which would be "2001". Maybe XP, again?

The explanation for skipping 9 was that a lot of software checked only the first letter of the OS version, so there would be misidentification with Windows 95 and 98.

9 minutes ago, Maes said:

Well, to be fair XP and Vista wouid be 5.1 and 6.0 ( as per the "ver" command) and Windows 2000 would be 5.0. There's a Windows Server 2003.

Yeah, but he also listed all those OSes by their regular names, hence the comment. Also what MS-DOS is doing on a list of Windows versions would be a good question.

The explanation for skipping 9 was that a lot of software checked only the first letter of the OS version, so there would be misidentification with Windows 95 and 98.

I guess this software didn't support Windows 1.0, because there would be just as much confusion with Windows 10 :P

Numerical sequels are out of fashion nowadays because the inflated numbers do make it feel like the franchise has been run into the grounds. It's mostly true in the movie industry, because with vifdeo games there is a strong technological element, but generally Foobar 12: Return of the Revenge of Foobar's Son doesn't seem like it has anything interesting to offer.

These things come and go. The comparison with Windows is not exactly accurate since Windows isn't a piece of entertainment, you're not supposed to use Windows 1 then Windows 2 then Windows 3 etc. in sequence to get "the full Windows saga experience" as that would be stupid, but yeah you can see Microsoft started with version numbers, moved on to year of release (95, 98, 2000), then tried subtitles (XP, Vista), then got back to version numbers (7, 8, 10; there's no 9 because 7 ate 9).

Doom numbers aren't exactly consistent anyway:

1. Doom / The Ultimate Doom
  2. Doom II
  3. Final Doom
  4. Doom 64
  5. Doom 3
  6. Doom
  7. Doom Eternal
2 minutes ago, Rathori said:

I guess this software didn't support Windows 1.0, because there would be just as much confusion with Windows 10 :P

Yeah I don't think anyone is going to be attempting to run any Windows 1.0 program professionally. Unless maybe if their profession is being a youtuber for vintage software nerds.

Windows 3.1 is where it really started being ubiquitous, all previous Windows versions are just historical anecdotes.

What gets me is: does every reboot of Doom have to change the entire main storyline each time?

Also: I find it strange how both Doom 3 and especially Doom 2016 have a Half-Life vibe to them. Doom 3 has the Doomguy wandering around Mars City shortly before the shit hits the fan and how he has to fight through the demonic invasion afterwards, and Doom 2016 has you being under the control of the main NPC whose plans for you aren't clear, and puts you away in suspended animation at the end. Half-Life to me. Doom should do it's entirely own thing.

2 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

What gets me is: does every reboot of Doom have to change the entire main storyline each time?

Also: I find it strange how both Doom 3 and especially Doom 2016 have a Half-Life vibe to them. Doom 3 has the Doomguy wandering around Mars City shortly before the shit hits the fan and how he has to fight through the demonic invasion afterwards, and Doom 2016 has you being under the control of the main NPC whose plans for you aren't clear, and puts you away in suspended animation at the end. Half-Life to me. Doom should do it's entirely own thing.

So by that logic does it mean that DOOM Eternal is Half-Life 3 ?????

4 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

Also: I find it strange how both Doom 3 and especially Doom 2016 have a Half-Life vibe to them.

It makes sense, Half-Life is basically "Doom, but with aliens instead of demons", so it's only natural that newfangled Doom would be "Half-Life, but with demons instead of aliens".

"In a secret military-industrial facility, an experiment with teleportation technology opens dimensional rifts that allows monsters to invade, ravaging the Earth and causing the near-extinction of humankind." Is that the plot of Half-Life or that of Doom?