Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Things in modern gaming that you dislike

Depends on the game genre. I think damage numbers make sense for some types of games; for example in Terraria they're fine; but I'd agree that in a modern shooter they should be disabled by default and only toggleable as a debug/testing option.

-Games with lengthy intro cutscenes or (even worse) lengthy intros that are in-engine, they just restrict you from playing (beginning of Farcry 5)

-Pre-ordering (i know this isn't exactly modern but w/e)

-Games that are more story and worldbuilding then they are actual gameplay (sorta ties back to my first bullet point)

-Always-online DRM (and just DRM in general but, again, w/e)

On 6/25/2019 at 11:08 AM, qdash said:

- Fan service. All sorts of this.

- Non sexual women, especially like ugly toads in Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Mans are main auditory of video games. Respect you consumers, not feminists.

Doesn't the first point contradict the second? I thought sexy women were fanservice?

Suffice to say that while I will always defend artistic direction in and of itself, I find it laughable when, just as an example I pulled out of my arse here, we hear NetherRealm wax lyrical about how the female costumes in MK11 are "more realistic" and then we see ponytails swining everywhere, all sorts of layers and belts and ribbons that can be grabbed onto during a fight, armour that STILL doesn't cover the important things in life and Kitana walking on sand in a pair of killer heels like she's on a marble floor. Bang up job there, guys. Clearly, none of you have ever watched a womens' MMA bout.

Meanwhile, a lot of the male characters are still as half butt-ass-naked as always, but you know, consistency is for losers, eh?

3 hours ago, scalliano said:

Suffice to say that while I will always defend artistic direction in and of itself, I find it laughable when, just as an example I pulled out of my arse here, we hear NetherRealm wax lyrical about how the female costumes in MK11 are "more realistic" and then we see ponytails swining everywhere, all sorts of layers and belts and ribbons that can be grabbed onto during a fight, armour that STILL doesn't cover the important things in life and Kitana walking on sand in a pair of killer heels like she's on a marble floor. Bang up job there, guys. Clearly, none of you have ever watched a womens' MMA bout.

Meanwhile, a lot of the male characters are still as half butt-ass-naked as always, but you know, consistency is for losers, eh?

"more realistic" =/ actual realism 

also lmao @ the last point being "bUt wHaT AbOuT ThE MeN"

If there's one thing to criticize NRS about, it's how they scream about sexism in character design but have in-studio rampant sexism. Talk about hypocrisy! 

-More of an emphasis on graphics then gameplay.

-Microtransactions, "Lootboxes", and everything else under the sun that "nickles and dimes" people.

-Xbox One: You require an Internet connection to play 70% of your games.

-No manuals.

-50 to 100+ GB sized games.

-Most games feel like they are rushed.

On 6/27/2019 at 6:15 AM, Hypпotiк said:

-50 to 100+ GB sized games.

Get used to it, the processing power wasn't strong enough to handle a lot of details back then. with stronger hardware available now, devs have less reasons to compress assets or reduce detail level. it should come as no surprise when assets take up much more space.

Edited by tempdecal.wad

11 hours ago, Mr. Freeze said:

"more realistic" =/ actual realism 

also lmao @ the last point being "bUt wHaT AbOuT ThE MeN"

If there's one thing to criticize NRS about, it's how they scream about sexism in character design but have in-studio rampant sexism. Talk about hypocrisy! 

My point being it's actually LESS realistic? They've already gone on record to state that the decision was ideologically driven, if they'd left it at that I would never have brought it up. MK is intrinsically absurd. Claiming that a change in aesthetic is an attempt to be more realistic just strikes me a completely disingenuous. I'd even have been happy with something like, "well, we're gunning for the esports scene and Twitch doesn't like bewbs." That is a reason I can get behind. For the record, I personally think the new designs are absolutely badass for the most part.

That said, ideology-wise, there is also the argument that if the more modest costumes are a means to be more respectful to the female characters, does that not then mean that the studio has been disrespecting them for the past 20-odd years?

Sadly though, it goes pretty much without saying that the workplace conditions you speak of are more par for the course than they are the anomaly in Western dev studios. Same goes for crunch, but that's another topic.

Finally, beyond the alternating caps, I'm also interested in hearing your rebuttal regarding the potential existence of a double standard within the industry when it comes to the sexualization of male and female characters. All the evidence I've seen so far points to there actually being one. For example, you'd never read a Kotaku article about a female charcter's nipples. Personally, if it's wrong to do something to a woman, then it's wrong to do it to anyone. Ultimately, I see it as a restriction being placed on women that does not apply to men. IMO, that's sexist. But hey, PM me if you're up for a discussion without derailing the thread :)

Edited by scalliano : Needed more context

AAA games tend to be responsive, shooty, full of upgrade systems and full of obvious stimuli to respond to so I never understand the "graphics over gameplay" complaints. i'd love some games that favoured presentation over the gameplay cos that's how it was in the Amiga era and that was full of amazing and weird artifacts. but I'd agree with the complaint that we have "graphics over presentation" - the biggest budget stuff on PC and XBOX tends to be high resolution, high-poly and wall-papered in ginormous textures yet undermined by effects and visual filtering that make everything unremarkable to look at no matter how much work went into its creation. scaling back the technical aspects and letting the artists take over would make games more striking and stop them from aging in a way that's totally tied to technology

On 6/25/2019 at 6:08 AM, qdash said:

- Non sexual women, especially like ugly toads in Anthem and Mass Effect: Andromeda. Mans are main auditory of video games. Respect you consumers, not feminists. 

Oh. You're one of those.

8 hours ago, yakfak said:

AAA games tend to be responsive, shooty, full of upgrade systems and full of obvious stimuli to respond to so I never understand the "graphics over gameplay" complaints. i'd love some games that favoured presentation over the gameplay cos that's how it was in the Amiga era and that was full of amazing and weird artifacts. but I'd agree with the complaint that we have "graphics over presentation" - the biggest budget stuff on PC and XBOX tends to be high resolution, high-poly and wall-papered in ginormous textures yet undermined by effects and visual filtering that make everything unremarkable to look at no matter how much work went into its creation. scaling back the technical aspects and letting the artists take over would make games more striking and stop them from aging in a way that's totally tied to technology

You need to play Amid Evil. It is precisely what you describe - gameplay is aggressively simple, yet hugely engaging and despite having a polycount comparable to something like Quake III, it makes clever use of the engine and art assets to produce one of the prettiest looking games I've played in quite a while.

I can't stand the current art and character design of most current triple A games. Everything is just too over designed and overwhelming to look at. Some specific examples are stuff like Destiny 2, Warframe, and Anthem.

3 hours ago, Count651 said:

I can't stand the current art and character design of most current triple A games. Everything is just too over designed and overwhelming to look at. Some specific examples are stuff like Destiny 2, Warframe, and Anthem.

As much as I like the game, the designs for Warframes really just look like they're modeled after still shots of people throwing paint in the air.

I think the warframes are just execuses to have new content available every now and then to keep the game alive, the deluxe skins look much better IMO, I like Excalibur, Umbra and Loki Prime designs though.

Don't be hating on Warframe. It's just about the only game on the planet where YOU get to be the biomechanical monstrosity from (Space) Hell slaughtering space marines by the thousands.

Which also nicely segues into my complaint. Goddamn every protagonist in a scifi game being part of the stereotypical good-guy-space-marine faction. It all looks so boring. We need more scifi game protagonists that look all weird and shit.

- Online-requiring DRM for single-player mode.

- Requiring console OS updates before I can play the game, but not including the upgrade on the disc. Oh, right, gotta have server-stored keys and all that. @_@

- Cis white dude armchair creative director man-children complaining about any effort to try making their playground more friendly for *everyone* because they don't want to play nice.

- 70 F***ING GIGABYTE DOWNLOADS that are MOSTLY-MULTIPLAYER and which YOU CAN NOT SKIP SO YOU CAN JUST PLAY THE F***ING SINGLE-PLAYER

- Consoles' constant push for higher and higher spacial resolution (1080p?! Lol, look at us, we've got 1152p!) instead of sticking with 720p for a generation and giving us more of the far-more-noticeable temporal resolution (framerates) -- and stablely, at that!

- Feminists who, while having good intentions, are inept enough they a) end up simply constructing the exact same thing, only rotated around to being equally as gender-biased in the other direction or b) pull the above-mentioned hillariously-unrealistic shit that makes even the many competent efforts get derided by aforementioned man-children.

-Unskippable cutscenes. These are truly the Icon of Sin's work.

I actually like the numbers flying out, if I'm playing a party-based RPG, though I'll give bonus points to any game which actually shows the enemy taking damage (texture changes or even body parts getting blasted away) instead.

12 minutes ago, bpeterson said:

-  70 F***ING GIGABYTE DOWNLOADS that are MOSTLY-MULTIPLAYER and which YOU CAN NOT SKIP SO YOU CAN JUST PLAY THE F***ING SINGLE-PLAYER

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be 80GBs on PS4, and that's just Singleplayer.

I dislike stupid fuckin unbalanced shit in most online games that literally any person with half a brain could figure out is busted in like 2 seconds, examples

Scorpion in MK11: Clearly broken, too fast moving with too much high low variations in combos leading to frustration, does all the fucking damage in the universe... There is a reason over 50% (I believe it was that) of all players right now use him, because you don't need to be good to use him and literally anybody can pick him up and look good. He's cheap shit, literal cheap shit.

Mei in Overwatch: An amazing display in clueless design choices, a character that gets buffed simply because they are the community manager's favorite, a character who is a "DPS" yet has the actual ingame tip of "To stand a chance get your team lol", has literally zero damage dropoff (no really).

50mg in Fallout 76: I think the real joke here is 76, but when you implement a "battle royale" gamemode into your shit game the least you could have done is remembered that the 50mg is unstoppable in pve, never mind pvp where the action of simply having one is a guaranteed win (but really, if your playing nuclear winter you've already lost).

Specific weapons: we've all played the shitty shooters, we all know there is always one weapon that some cave dweller made that literally outclasses everything without even trying to, used by mongs to get the upper hand on skilled players and used by skilled players to ruin everyone's existence in seconds, the one weapon literally everyone just uses nonstop because it does 4000 damage and has 0 recoil and infinite range... How do these even exist?

• Microtransactions (obviously)
  • Overpriced DLC
  • Game takes up too much space
  • Unskipable logos
  • Unskipable cutscenes
  • Paying for online
  • Way too many "gamers" nowadays trying to complain about every single thing just because it's trendy
  • PC vs. Console wars
  • Console vs. Console wars
Edited by TakenStew22

2 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

I dislike stupid fuckin unbalanced shit in most online games that literally any person with half a brain could figure out is busted in like 2 seconds

Spamming Gauss alt fire on those crossfire lights.

• Story modes that are secondary to multiplayer
  • "Patches" that are actually most of the game data because of rushed release dates
  • Early access
  • Camping in an FPS game to regain health
  • Companies using sketchy methods to force the player into spending more money on DLC
  • About 99% of gaming journalists

Plenty more, but I don't wanna come off as some kinda 27-year-old boomer.. *sip*

7 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Cyberpunk 2077 is going to be 80GBs on PS4, and that's just Singleplayer.

screams externally

In modern gaming I dont like mostly modern gaming.
Reason, in short, key positions on producing games now have not "I like video games" guys but "effective" managers which thirst only for money which dont cares what they actually do in development and which do anything to get more "papers with watermarks".

Same for industry as whole.
For example I want to play game_name.
I run steam. It firstly says "fuck you" and ten minutes load updates for steam, then five minute check for updates for every single game in you list, then download updates for every single game until you forcibly turn it off.
Okay after these three circles of hell game finally launched. What? You want to play? Oh, how about five minutes of unskippable logos and DRM checks, I know you love it.
And after you finally make it to the new game line of a menu all you receive is mediocre game with plot and mechanics you seen in games from 2005/1994/3422 year, with single difference, RTX support.
What that, you dont have internet connection? Than you can play only in sweet, sweet victory pinball and solitaire, because without online you purchases are just a garbage, 60$ per one unit.

I have embellished a little what is happening, but you get the point I think.

Oh, I forgot this one:

• Intro, intermission or ending cutscenes/credits using some semi or licensed music track which completely fucks up Let's Players when recording the game.

18 hours ago, mrthejoshmon said:

Scorpion in MK11: Clearly broken, too fast moving with too much high low variations in combos leading to frustration, does all the fucking damage in the universe... There is a reason over 50% (I believe it was that) of all players right now use him, because you don't need to be good to use him and literally anybody can pick him up and look good. He's cheap shit, literal cheap shit.

MK has always had cheap characters honestly, one way or another, very unlikely to see that going away. For better or worse.

Non playable characters wise, have you seen Shao Kahn in MK9? That's the true definition of cheap and spammy. Player wise, that would be Noob Saibot, you can literally just spam the teleport like a bitch and call it a day.

9 hours ago, Armaetus said:

Oh, I forgot this one:

• Intro, intermission or ending cutscenes/credits using some semi or licensed music track which completely fucks up Let's Players when recording the game.

I... am not sure this is the games' fault, sounds more like an YT issue right now. AFAIK YT is the worst out of all when it comes to this.

I seem to be falling behind "modern games" as of late, being largely stuck about 4-10 years ago when I'm not outright retro gaming. The main issue I have is that games just don't come out finished. They're actually better to grab on sale some three or more years after the fact and then play in a relative vacuum of opinion, so you don't see how crap it was when first released. This feels even more relevant with how the advent of 4k-ready consoles has seen many games getting re-releases, enhanced editions and whatnot where they come with all DLC included and tend to actually work.

The problem with games I actually have and play is that they often seem to have started with an idea, then had features, ideas and DLC opportunities bolted on, plus some kind of multiplayer attachment or open-ended environment to facilitate multiplayer. The end result is that you end up playing a very large, very same-y, increasingly bland mess of a game. It never seems to end, the main feature is often lost under endless side quests and cosmetic extras... And you just sort of keep grinding through it until you lose interest, or the next installation comes out.

Also, the ridiculously high prices going for digital deluxe editions and above are laughable.

This got discussed a bit earlier but for me it's constant autosaves. Modern games have no sense of friction. At least save-scumming used to take the effort of entering the save menu and saving your game. Now video games do it for you, constantly. Doesn't help that new games like AssCreed: Originel/Odd Assy don't have fail-states. There's no consequence for dying because you're brought back to the game's state as of the moment of your death. it's absurd.

On 6/18/2019 at 11:40 AM, ReaperAA said:

- enemy rooster not being good

Well, roosters can't fight very well, they are pretty much birds that can barely glide!

Seriously now, here are the things i dislike:

-MICROTRANSACTIONS are the #1 thing i hate on modern gaming

-Three-lane map design, it's just so boring.

-DLC that was to be part of the main game and then chopped off into a separate download

-Loot boxes

-Having to pay for online play on anything that isn't a PC, PS3 or Wii

-Games that take an eternity to level up. Black Ops 4 has you needing to win 50+ matches just for a gun, which is a very big steal as you can level up paying for it.

-Lack of splitscreen or overall bad quality of it, like the game ends up severely butchered in quality after adding a second player. I would rather have halved framerate than textures being so blurry you can barely make out what even is the texture decipting.

-Physical discs that require you to download the other half off the internet. There's a reason i'm even buying physical copies, and that's to play the game faster!

-Stupid DRM cutting your hands off if you dare play the game offline

-Absurd advanced movement. I'm fine with parkour and stuff, but it's horrible when you see people teleporting or dashing and you end up confused because there's no way you can track where someone is moving with a teleport or when going at super high speeds.

I'll be honest, i really like CoD and stuff but it's went heavily downhill after Ghosts. (and even that game, while the last decent one, is also quite bad) I'm REALLY hoping the new CoD:MW reboot is going to be good. There's a new engine and everything so they are going full into this.

23 minutes ago, -TDRR- said:

-Three-lane map design, it's just so boring.

What do you mean by this?

Also, I like CoD as well and I had a blast with Infinite Warfare. I mean single player, I don't play multi. This is one underrated game. If you take it for what it is - which is a glorified on-rails shooter - it's good.