Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Things in modern gaming that you dislike

1 hour ago, Szuran said:

What do you mean by this?

Also, I like CoD as well and I had a blast with Infinite Warfare. I mean single player, I don't play multi. This is one underrated game. If you take it for what it is - which is a glorified on-rails shooter - it's good.

Three lane map design means that the map only has 3 paths to traverse the map. A good example of this is Modern Warfare 3's Dome map, and MW2's Favela but to a much, much lesser extent.

I wish i could say for myself if i like Infinite Warfare or not, but i don't have a good enough PC for it.

I see lots of people criticizing cutscenes, especially if they're unskippable. personally, I think cutscenes are situational -- they're not necessarily a bad thing, but they do have to be used with care. if it's the sort of game where you want to jump in and start shooting or hacking/slashing, then cutscenes should be skippable. however, if it's an RPG that's heavily story-based, then unskippable cutscenes may be justified. to provide examples, one of my favorite NES games is Double Dragon II, a side-scrolling beat-em-up (with platforming elements mixed in); it has cutscenes telling a story throughout the game, but you can skip all except the ending sequence, as it should be. another personal favorite of mine, Chrono Trigger, has unskippable cutscenes here and there, but that doesn't detract from it at all.

then again, both of those games come from a different era. I think alot of complaints about cutscenes have to do with the overall shift in games towards a cinematic presentation, in which games feel more like interactive movies than games.

I guess unskippable cutscenes can be good if you're given choices that affected your journey in some way like in Witcher 3 (although they were still somewhat skippable there) but they can also ruin the desire to replay the game. To be fair though this isn't exactly something new, I haven't replayed HL2 nearly as much as HL1 and I don't think this would have happened had I been able to skip the dialogues between me and NPCs (wait for barney to give you your crowbar, wait for alyx and mossman to finish their banter, wait for alyx, kleiner and barney to be done talking and teleport you, go talk to this NPC while the vortigaunt arms your boat....etc) while they're not exactly cutscenes, they certainly feel like it.

4 hours ago, tempdecal.wad said:

...wait for alyx and mossman to finish their banter, wait for alyx, kleiner and barney to be done talking and teleport you, go talk to this NPC while the vortigaunt arms your boat....etc)...

These drive me up the wall to no end. If they have to be put in a game, just make it a cutscene. Don't give me the facade of gameplay by letting me run around this room with nothing to do but listen to NPCs spew their exposition, just make it a cutscene. Although I do give HL2 a pass on it sort of, because I always saw HL2 as both a game and a gigantic tech demo for the Source engine, so they probably had all those bits in it to show off what the Source engine was capable of.

Yes, I guess they're fine for a first time playthrough, but it becomes very obvious and gets in the way in second, third...etc playthroughs.

11 hours ago, Xcalibur said:

...I think alot of complaints about cutscenes have to do with the overall shift in games towards a cinematic presentation, in which games feel more like interactive movies than games.

This probably sums up my feelings on modern gaming now that I think about it. They all just feel like movies rather than video games. As soon as it starts trying to be cinematic in any way I just find myself internally (or sometimes even externally) screaming "LET ME PLAY THE GAME!!!"

I think if I have a problem with the first person "cutscenes" in the Half Life series, its that since you have full control, you're free to basically just go around, crowbar everyone, crowbar everything in the scene, play basketball with props, and so on, all while everything is proceeding normally.

... Has anyone made a SFM vid where they run through a HL2 scene perfectly normally but add a Gordon in the background who's doing all these things?

this is primarily FPS related

forced music - sometimes I prefer playing with the ambient sounds only.

anything that goes fullscreen and has to mess with my video card drivers - it would be just good if I can customize whether I want the game to start in windowed mode first, then eventually I can select fullscreen mode.

assed up gravity in the gameplay - objectives that move either too fast or too slow compared to my mouse performance.

I see mouse sensitivity is available most of the time, but there's no such thing as a way to increase/decrease the movement range... I don't want to make a damn U-turn with the mouse just to get my aim right everytime.

too many cinematics, but we can argue about that.

anyway, the concept of "new game" is very occasional to me ^^

Having returned to Forza Horizon 4 this week, it's striking me how much of the game is basically just a checklist and how that's exactly what I think (and how I play) those open world games I mentioned on the last page. Ubisoft seem to actively encourage just ticking off objectives in their endless parade of open worlds. Doubly bad because you're often doing one thing over and over again with little variation. New area of town? Climb all of the tall buildings... Check. Defend random civvies from rough groups (complete with endlessly repeated local accented version of same dialogue)... accidentally sword fight about 20 guards... Check. Find flags, treasure, etc... Check. Follow same steps to gather intel on next target... Check.

It's like the open world was the goal and then busywork is forced into it to make you go everywhere and spend time.

That's because there is no level design in modern games. It's just stuff on huge map. There are no challenging obstacles, wisely arranged. It's stuff thrown around and "find your way to overcome it!"

41 minutes ago, ([zen3001]) said:

people buying games even if they hate it or the business practices behind them

+1 for the latter, I think those people don't realize that by buying games that incorporate greedy practices they're supporting the practices behind them as well, despite claiming otherwise. It's a "willing or unwilling, you're an accomplice" scenario, but the people who buy these games are usually not part of the same group who actually oppose them, yet there are exceptions, just like with everything else.

Learn to vote with your wallet, it's really that simple. To these publishers/developers, only money really talks.

On 6/23/2019 at 11:12 AM, DynamiteKaitorn said:

7 - L A U N C H E R S. So far we have Steam, Origin, U-Play, EPIC (Fail) Launcher, Bethesda Launcher, etc... I don't bother with half of these. If it's not on Steam or GOG, I probably wont bother playing it. I don't want half of my hard drive filled with launchers.

This. Idiocy about titles exclusive to one platform,,which existed only on consoles,  now on the pc. Who needs every game with its own damn launcher.

Also, controls feeling slow and unresponsive. How this wasn't  an issue with old games like the one this site is about.

Unskippable Cutscenes, Invasive Microtransactions that make the game super grindy, slow movement speed in shooters, being an online exclusive game with extremely choppy servers, bad input lag, ugly graphical styles (Not technical effects, the overall artstyle), and having virtually no mod support.

- Microtransactions and Lootboxes

- There are alot of good Ips/Franchises from the 90s and 00s that have either been forgotten about now or get really bad modern sequels or reboots

- Mobile gaming, it sucks (handheld gaming is so much better)

- Games that are extremely buggy and glitchy on release because game companies think its not how a game releases, its what it becomes if it ever does

- the fear of a Streaming and Cloud only future

- Clickbait gaming youtube videos and outrageous loud trendy wacky sounding gaming youtubers and streamers, they are cringing and pandering

- Too much memes about gaming (too much memes about everything to be honest) Im kinda getting sick of memes all together especially in the late 10s, the quality of them has dropped a lot over the years

- FPS games feel too slow nowadays, i miss the fast pace of 90s fps games

- As a furry, I feel theres a lack of animal mascot games, they used to be really popular in 90s and early 00s and i liked them even if some were not very good gameplay wise... it just seems most videos games nowadays stick to human protagonists too much... a little variety could be good

- games seem more often less moddable and less customizable nowadays

- Exclusives (i know this has always been a thing but i don't like it)

- DRM, Always Online, and Games as Service

- alot games feels too easy and linear nowadays..... theres needs more challenge and explorativness

- game music isnt as memorable or catchy as it used to be

- game companies seems to favor graphics over gameplay nowdays

things about modern gaming i dislike:

- people earnestly using the word franchise and putting admiration into its tone

- games which don't follow the meathead FPS-with-upgradeable-gun formula being dismissed as "walking simulators"; influential game people fostering an environment where people are encouraged to groan at novel things in games like good puzzles, thoughtful writing and uncommon characters etc etc

- i saw some final fantasy runner posting a bunch of dickhead /pol emotes so i had to block the whole scene on twitch because no-one was calling his shit out, drones are complicit

Modern game music is often either generic chiptunes, generic popular music (EDM, metal, rock, hip hop, etc.), or generic symphonic pieces. There's rarely an attempt to push for highly unique scores, and more of a tendency to use genre templates as a basis for establishing musical cohesion with the game. It's far more important to create something that immerses you into the environment, but most musicians just go for a pathetic status quo.

8 hours ago, GoatLord said:

Modern game music is often either generic chiptunes, generic popular music (EDM, metal, rock, hip hop, etc.), or generic symphonic pieces. There's rarely an attempt to push for highly unique scores, and more of a tendency to use genre templates as a basis for establishing musical cohesion with the game. It's far more important to create something that immerses you into the environment, but most musicians just go for a pathetic status quo.

trying to understand what you're hoping to hear more of; ambient OSTs like Fallout 1 and Planescape: Torment? vaporwave? Contemporary classical? Namco Sound Team making every soundtrack? I think you've described almost every game soundtrack ever made, recent and ancient, and unless you're gonna explain which pieces are "generic" it sounds like yr insulting the whole form

I'd actually like to state my support for game OSTs having songs on them >:) I think the invention of immersion as an important aspect for games has been to their deficit and long for Good Music which Doesn't Fit.

Edited by yakfak

If streaming is anything other than a catastrophic failure, I will be amazed. The infrastructure is simply not there for the vast amount of the world. Also, with every company and their weird creepy cousin working on one, very few people will subscribe to all of them. People only have so much money, time and attention to divide. They will vote with their wallets. It's the same reason why most "live service" games either failed outright or burned out. Also, Netflix does not make a profit. The resources and maintenance required for game streaming will be much higher. So what possible hope is there game streaming will be sufficiently profitable? Google alone, with it's vast cash reserves and well established infrastructure might get away with it. The others will almost assuredly crash and burn sooner or later. So I am personally not concerned about streaming. People will vote with their wallets and so should you. Indie developers will continue to grow as people grow disillusioned with this crap. And of course, mods for old games will provide many more hours of entertainment.

More back to the point, yeah microtransactions, bugs, multiplayer focus, and a lack of real depth in most titles are the biggest problems I have with with modern AAA games. 

1 hour ago, Murdoch said:

Also, Netflix does not make a profit. The resources and maintenance required for game streaming will be much higher. So what possible hope is there game streaming will be sufficiently profitable? Google alone, with it's vast cash reserves and well established infrastructure might get away with it. The others will almost assuredly crash and burn sooner or later.

I'm wondering the same about TV streaming. It's an insane business. Everybody starts their own streaming service with exclusive content, fully expecting the customer to pay for 6 or 7 of these services to be able to watch everything. My expectation is that in the end most will either crash and burn or being closed down if they don't turn a profit. That entire business needs some serious rethinking.

And if the gaming industry enters the same shark tank they will only cannibalize themselves in the end - and let's not forget the biggest issue here: Right now everybody is running the games on their own computer which distributes the required calculation power and hardware investments quite well. One all of this is centralized on some servers it'll require monstrous and costly systems to manage all this - it simply can never recoup the investment in the hardware infrastructure which also needs constant upgrading.

2 hours ago, Graf Zahl said:

Stuff

Agreed on all points Graf. It's madness. People just don't have the money. They will stick with one or two then pirate the rest. Executives see the numbers of something like Netflix and think hey we can do that too (with a narrower focus of content) and fail to consider tech requirements and long term viability. They would make more profit for less outlay leveraging an existing system.

Yesterday something happened to make me hate modern games even more.

So after 10 hours of grind at work I go to a game store and choose Warhammer Vermintide on PS4, it's supposed to be like Left 4 Dead, it has single player - all I need.

I come back, happy to get a break after this awful day... STOP! FIRST INSTALL THIS 14 GB PATCH.

No, than-- wait, I can't play SINGLE PLAYER without it? What stupid crap is this?

So, 3 hours later, when the patch FINALLY installed, I sit down to--

BUY PS PLUS FIRST!

What?! For SINGLE PLAYER?!?! Yup, you can't play this game offline and without multiplayer subscription in SINGLE goddamn PLAYER. It WON'T EVEN LET YOU SEE THE MAIN MENU.

I intend to return it today after work.

Good lord, fuck that bullshit. Mandatory updates for single player is BS enough, let alone shit that's over a gig! I remember my friend Sam raging big time some years ago when the Xbox One first came out and wanted to download some update before it would let him play; his internet was completely out of data for the month. Load of crap, completely turned me off of this generation of consoles. I'm usually a bunch of years behind so it doesn't tend to affect me much but I got secondhand anger when it happened to him, lol.

Tbh everytime I hear how shitty is the internet in some parts of the world today still kinda amazes me.

It almost makes me feel like we're light years ahead or something, especially when a few gigs are a problem in this age where games can take over 70GBs of space...

I think this is PSN's problem, to be honest. I have a fast connection but whenever I download anything from PS Store, it's like I'm in 2005 again. MS does it better with Xbox One, but they require online connection for a lot of single player games too, which is bullshit.

how different difficulties are done in games like doom. These games are all about fighting hordes of enemies, and high difficulties just meant more demons. which encouraged people to go for higher difficulties which meant that you had to move more carefully and react faster but these days games just turn enemies into damage spunges which is just annoying.

still cutscenes. it doesn't matter if they are skippable or not, fuck them! if i want to watch a movie, i'll do that. but when i am playing a game, let me play the game, you lazy bastards! how come Half-Life managed to NEVER get a cutscene, yet tell you a great story?!

the moment a game take control out of me any immersion is ruined. thank you for reminding me that i am just watching a pile of colored pixels, that helped alot. now take your crap back, your pixels sux.

People hate cutscenes, but when a game like Bioshock or Zelda does it it's absolutely fine...

As for me, the one thing I absolutely hate is how most of the new games seem to just try to cater to as many people as they can, no creativity whatsoever, just recycling existing ideas because that's what sells.