Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Things in modern gaming that you dislike

1 hour ago, Eurisko said:

-Digital only releases. Yes I know its the way today but 10-15 years down the line and you want to play that game you bought again, can you? There's no way to be sure.

unless all technology we have today is going to go defekt for some reason it's probably more accesible to have drm free games in your cloud or just saved in an external hdd

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

- Day one patches of obscene size. I'm probably getting picky now but there shouldn't be games being released that need that much patching up on release. You couldn't have got away with this back in the day.

Unfortunately this is unlikely to change, at least not in the well-known case of triple-A budget games. There's multiple reasons for that, the main ones being, as far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

a) These games are sometimes rushed out the door.

b) The developers had run out of time to properly test the game and check whether things work as intended or not, subsequently having to release gargantuan patches to fix what's broken.

c) The studio is not offered/doesn't have enough money to pay for more thorough testing.

How some games get approve for release is a mystery to me however. I remember reading some claims saying that way back when Batman Arkham Knight came out on PC (one of the worst PC ports released this decade) it only got the green light because it seemed to run fine at 1280x720. Needless to say that that port was a complete disaster, so bad that Rocksteady had to remove the game from stores and give refunds while they worked on fixing it, then put it back and released a few more major patches for the games. Such awful ports should never see the light of day.

I was re-playing Arkham Knight the other day and I'm surprised they couldn't even properly fix it, still can't keep steady framerate and some areas drop framerate to 30, sometimes even lower. this is probably why the default setting for FPS limit is 30.

3 hours ago, Eurisko said:

- Day one patches of obscene size. I'm probably getting picky now but there shouldn't be games being released that need that much patching up on release. You couldn't have got away with this back in the day.

I'm being reminded of Frontier: First Encounters, a game that was excessively rushed to release and as a result had so many bugs it caused its publisher's bankruptcy. Yep, not getting away with it.

24 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

I was re-playing Arkham Knight the other day and I'm surprised they couldn't even properly fix it, still can't keep steady framerate and some areas drop framerate to 30, sometimes even lower. this is probably why the default setting for FPS limit is 30.

The experience seems to vary greatly between users. Some have reported that it runs fine now, while others share yours.

I think the problem is that that port was just not built well in the first place, they probably weren't able to fix the game without creating a completely new port.

50 minutes ago, seed said:

here's multiple reasons for that

only one: people keep buying this shit. 'cmon, people keep buying bethesda titles -- and that means that you can sell anything, and fuck your customers, and then sell them more.

24 minutes ago, seed said:

I think the problem is that that port was just not built well in the first place, they probably weren't able to fix the game without creating a completely new port.

Seems like it, I remember reading a post somewhere saying that it's running on UE3 that wasn't optimized for level streaming and handling open world environments properly.

10 minutes ago, tempdecal.wad said:

Seems like it, I remember reading a post somewhere saying that it's running on UE3 that wasn't optimized for level streaming and handling open world environments properly.

Yep, all Arkham games use UE3 iirc and yeah, it was apparently simply not designed to handle an open-world setting. All titles show this in various ways on PC sadly, but none of them as badly as Knight since that port was broken at a fundamental level in the first place.

18 minutes ago, ketmar said:

only one: people keep buying this shit. 'cmon, people keep buying bethesda titles -- and that means that you can sell anything, and fuck your customers, and then sell them more.

True, at least to a degree. We prolly wouldn't have MTX in games anymore if people wouldn't buy premium games that incorporate them, not to mention invest, for instance.

Thing is, Bethesda is lucky to be alone, no one seems to make games very similar in terms of gameplay like them, so they get away simply by being the one and only, they have no one to compete with. On a technical level their games are rubbish and they don't appear to want to invest in a better engine, but they do have plenty of content, so fixing everything would, unsurprisingly, be a rather long journey. Even after over an year of patches, Skyrim is still a buggy mess, making stuff like ENBoost and the Unofficial Patches indispensable (the first one especially if still playing the original 32-bit version. The word "stability" when using plenty of mods is likely an alien notion to it).

ok, Skyrim is a huge game indeed (yet i think that cutting profits -- and ceo salaries -- could allow bethesda to properly debug it). but fallout76? wow, and people *still* buying bethesda games. so the algorithm is like that: sell one half-working game, and then you can sell alot of shit. and then another one half-working game. and then more shit again.

the sad thing is that while people will buy pre-betas disguised as retails because "there are no other such games anyway", AAA studios won't even try to make their products better. alas, i don't know how to break this circle.

1 hour ago, seed said:

Unfortunately this is unlikely to change, at least not in the well-known case of triple-A budget games. There's multiple reasons for that, the main ones being, as far as I'm aware (someone correct me if I'm wrong):

a) These games are sometimes rushed out the door.

b) The developers had run out of time to properly test the game and check whether things work as intended or not, subsequently having to release gargantuan patches to fix what's broken.

c) The studio is not offered/doesn't have enough money to pay for more thorough testing.

How some games get approve for release is a mystery to me however. I remember reading some claims saying that way back when Batman Arkham Knight came out on PC (one of the worst PC ports released this decade) it only got the green light because it seemed to run fine at 1280x720. Needless to say that that port was a complete disaster, so bad that Rocksteady had to remove the game from stores and give refunds while they worked on fixing it, then put it back and released a few more major patches for the games. Such awful ports should never see the light of day.

Totally agree , its here to stay and that's that.

The Arkham Night game for PC was an absolute disaster on release , I believe Steam even pulled it from their store until it was sorted. I remember Angry Joe playing it.

See below.

2 hours ago, ketmar said:

the sad thing is that while people will buy pre-betas disguised as retails because "there are no other such games anyway"

That's the issue here. They don't have to do better because they don't have competition in this department, if they had, things would have probably looked different now.

Which is pretty worrying for how TES VI might turn out. I don't necessarily doubt that it will be a decent game, but I worry about the BS that might surround it.

On 6/25/2019 at 1:33 PM, Salahmander2 said:

I don't know, considering Steam is a surprisingly great, and the fact they're more than happy to not neglect retro games either. And also, Summer Sale!

Retro Games and Summer Sales are main topics for every reseller, and by no means exclusive to Steam. Steam takes your freedom and your privacy together with
your money. Their systems have been compromised not only once in the past. Avoid at all cost.

Storylines and cutscenes in FPS like Doom and Quake. I understand with the VERY improved graphics that you want to show that off, but I REALLY don't want to have to sit through 5 or ten minutes of cut scenes and boring dialogue that lays out the 'backstory,' which turns out to make ZERO sense.

You're on Mars and  there's a bunch of hideous things that have to be killed.

Got it.

Now lemme get to shootin'!!! 

On 8/16/2019 at 1:29 AM, MichaelJordansToupee said:

Storylines and cutscenes in FPS like Doom and Quake. I understand with the VERY improved graphics that you want to show that off, but I REALLY don't want to have to sit through 5 or ten minutes of cut scenes and boring dialogue that lays out the 'backstory,' which turns out to make ZERO sense.

You're on Mars and  there's a bunch of hideous things that have to be killed.

Got it.

Now lemme get to shootin'!!! 

Since you're talking about shooting demons in mars then your point makes no sense, there is only one short cutscene in doom 2016. "turns out to make ZERO sense" is also bullshit, they did a great job with so far. your comment would have made more sense you would have used "You're in nazi america shooting nazis" as your example.

Thought of a few more:

- Pubs/devs who engage in shitty monetization practices and then get salty on Reddit when the fans call them out on it.

- Battle Royale.

- Checkpoint-only saves. Come on, even consoles have like 8-12GB of RAM. We're past that shit already.

- Piss-poor PC ports. I shouldn't have to rely on fan mods to have a game function properly.

- Seeing a trailer for a new NFS game and wondering how they plan on ruining it this year.

- Cancel culture.

- ResetEra.

- Pubs/devs who kowtow to the demands of ResetEra.

- Pubs/devs who remove content from a game post launch, thus denying existing players the game they paid for.

- Having to resort to [REDACTED] digital-only games because they disappeared off the online store before I had a chance to buy them.

I hate the contextual game mechanics that almost every modern game uses now. I have to wait and watch an animation if i want to open a door, pick up an item, pull a lever, climb over a wall, knock out an enemy, etc. It gets old seeing this same animations used over and over and it takes control away from the player. What happen to just pressing the use key to open door and it just opens or pick up an item and it just pops in your inventory. Now, not every modern game is guilty of this or has animations that are super intrusive, but some games really take it way to far. Thief 2014 is a perfect example of this.

2 hours ago, Grillsen said:

over and it takes control away from the player

this. this is Absolute Sin. you pressed a key, and a stupid non-interactive movie starts. bye-bye, any attemps of immersion. is it really necessary to constantly remind me that i am in a videogame?

for god's sake, devs, make those animations at least interruptable! if i am going to lockpick a door, and some enemy attacks me, i don't want to continue lockpicking as if nothing happens! let me turn away and kill that bastard, the door won't go anywhere, it will wait for me.

On 8/21/2019 at 1:55 PM, ketmar said:

this. this is Absolute Sin. you pressed a key, and a stupid non-interactive movie starts. bye-bye, any attemps of immersion. is it really necessary to constantly remind me that i am in a videogame?

for god's sake, devs, make those animations at least interruptable! if i am going to lockpick a door, and some enemy attacks me, i don't want to continue lockpicking as if nothing happens! let me turn away and kill that bastard, the door won't go anywhere, it will wait for me.

Depends on the kinda game though, IMO.

I have no problem with Soulsborne games forcing you down an animation due to the gameplay concepts of "if you chose a move, you'll commit to it regardless of circumstances". But yeah, if the whole game is all about a fast pace, quick gameplay choices, a static use system would be jarring.

I dislike the fact that many modern AAA-games feel very bloated with unnecessary features and player distraction while the core gameplay suffers. Everything is cluttered with achievements, loads of unlockable items and perks, ranking systems, flashy/blinking symbols, trading/loot systems and eye-candy graphics, but it feels like a mere smokescreen to distract the player from the generic, boring, and sometimes wildly unbalanced gameplay. An example: After Infinity Ward removed the unlockable perks/items in Call of Duty Ghosts, players complained about missing motivation to even play the game and called it the worst entry in the series. Well, if the mere gameplay isn't fun enough to you to make you play the game, then the game itself isn't probably too great. And the gameplay of CoD has been terrible since Modern Warfare 1.

Modern games often feel like a rotting corpse where someone puts makeup on, lifts it up and moves its mouth like a ventriloquist's dummy to give off the impression that it's still living.

I thought the core gameplay of Doom '16 was fun but I couldn't bring myself to replay it without resorting to doing the side activities. that's what looter shooters are for. those games are designed around earning loot to keep players motivated to play by unlocking new things (equipment, missions...etc), helps keep the game from getting stale and gives you reasons to keep playing it.

Achievements/Trophies

I'm typically verbally assaulted for taking a stance against these but I wholeheartedly despise them.  They're either laughably simple and awarded for just pressing buttons (ArcadeArchives type games) or insanely difficult to where only the top 1% of gamers will ever earn them.  One need only look at the games in their own library to see how many games have literally less than 1% of players who have a platinum trophy/all achievements.

Not to mention being left with a permanent stain that I can't wash off if I buy a game I don't like (so, so many 2% of trophies games on my PSN id...).  A good game is its own reward and turning games into lab rat food pellet dispensers doesn't drive me to replay a game.  No I don't want to be a douchebag to every NPC in the game to get 75% renegade points this playthrough.  Who cares if I killed 50 enemies with the laser.  Who cares if I completed chapter 1.  Etc, etc...

GOG mercifully allows you to opt out of them if you're using galaxy.  Please every gaming service ever adopt this system.  Then they're there if you want them and gone if you don't.  Similar to how on XBox you could (still can?) pay to change your user id, I would actually pay Sony or any service for the opportunity to delete trophies and lower my level/score.  Yes control over this should be left to the user at no cost but since big companies love small transactions I would pay per session to clean house on my account because I change my mind a lot and have bad OCD.

Also on Steam you can permanently delete games from your library.  Again, every game service ever please adopt this.

The vast majority of popular, modern horror games in general. The abundance of check points, and the fact that they are 90% puzzles with a scary oOoOo spooky man following you. What happens if the monster gets you? Probably a screamer, then back 5 minutes to a check point. I'm very desensitized to spooks and scares so just having a grotesque thing there on your trail isn't enough to make me afraid, because there's no tension to back it up. Remember how horrifying Nemesis was in RE3? That fucker could pop up anywhere, and if his odious appearance didn't scare you, the thought of losing precious resources fending him off, and desperately trying to make it to a save room, hoping he loses track of you certainly would. And on the puzzle side of things, using RE again as an example, it did have it's fair share, but it also had combat. Combat which arguably hasn't aged well, but that still makes that much of a difference in creating tension, because you could at any moment defend yourself in theory, but you had to play it smart, and pick your fights.

The new RE2 remake and some indie titles I see from time to time succeed in capturing that, but it feels like a huge majority still borrows from Amnesia and Slender, two games mind you which I respect as individual entities, but that I think less games should try to imitate.

Day 1, and on disk DLC, Pre Ordering, and rushed releases.

When I spend 60 dollars on your game, is it too much to ask that it be complete, and playable from start to finish without encountering game breaking bugs?

I don't think so!

In an ideal world, DLC would be like the expansion packs of the quake days.

As for pre-ordering, it has never made sense to me, why spend your cash on a game that hasn't even come out yet, which you won't even know the quality of until it's released? Isn't that basically sending the message to game companies that people will eat up any bullshit they crap out as long as the trailers look good?  No matter how good it may seem in the trailers, never forget that there have been many games which looked good in the trailers, only to be steaming turds when actually played, when they were actually released.   

That's why I always wait for the user reviews before deciding to buy games, or any other kind of media for that matter.

Edited by fevermario

User reviews are mostly less useful than rolling a d20 to decide. Nothing but stupid jokes or I don't like this because B did same thing in a way I want here too. Their only use is knowing if a game is crashfest imo. 

Yeah, I won't dispute you on that front, you do get a lot of jackasses making stupid jokes, or getting a stick up their butt about trivial nonsense.   I myself always skim through them until I find a few that actually go into detail about their thoughts on the game itself.   

I also ask my friends about it, if they have the game.

11 hours ago, fevermario said:

As for pre-ordering, it has never made sense to me, why spend your cash on a game that hasn't even come out yet, which you won't even know the quality of until it's released?

actually, these days you know for sure that it will be a bug-ridden, unfinished, barely playable mess.

On samedi 24 août 2019 at 10:59 PM, okbuddy said:

Achievements/Trophies

I'm typically verbally assaulted for taking a stance against these but I wholeheartedly despise them.  They're either laughably simple and awarded for just pressing buttons (ArcadeArchives type games) or insanely difficult to where only the top 1% of gamers will ever earn them.  One need only look at the games in their own library to see how many games have literally less than 1% of players who have a platinum trophy/all achievements.

Not to mention being left with a permanent stain that I can't wash off if I buy a game I don't like (so, so many 2% of trophies games on my PSN id...).  A good game is its own reward and turning games into lab rat food pellet dispensers doesn't drive me to replay a game.  No I don't want to be a douchebag to every NPC in the game to get 75% renegade points this playthrough.  Who cares if I killed 50 enemies with the laser.  Who cares if I completed chapter 1.  Etc, etc...

The truth is that the game developers are the ones who care about this kind of things, because they want to know how their games are played. How many people reach the last chapter? If it's very few, then perhaps the next game can be made shorter. How many people did the "paladin" playthrough, how many did the "blackguard" playthrough? These numbers can tell if there's a point to keep doing alternate paths for different playstyles. And so on.

The whole thing about achievement/trophies is to sell this online data survey as some sort of "reward"/"bragging rights token" for the players, so that they'll be happy to participate. Well, most of them, anyway.

@dr_st ah, it is great that someone took the time to wrote the article i myself always wanted to write! ;-) some modern overdetailed doom maps fits there too, btw. most of the time they're nice to look at, and to make screenshots, but they're hard to play. and hard by the wrong reasons -- not because they were designed as hard, but because they have too many details. so many that i stop caring at all.

On 8/4/2019 at 4:17 PM, ketmar said:

Bethesda games are actually a really shitty example on buggy games being released. Bethesda games are generally all about that dynamic systems interacting with each other, and a lot of bugs in Bethesda games relate to unexpected interactions between systems (like giants attacking with their treetrunk clubs and the physics engine conspiring into turning the Dragonborn into a human spaceship). A game like that will always have bugs on day 1. There is not enough time in the world to polish a game like that. Even a studio with scaled down scope will have these issues (GSC World's STALKER games had the same issues of systems interacting in unexpected and rare ways).

Dynamic systems are great (just look at Dwarf Fortress), but they're literal hell to debug.