Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Szuran

Things in modern gaming that you dislike

Games, AAA ones in specific, are nowadays made in a much more safe manner, experimentation is only done when you already have a consumer base of millions and even then it's minimal. Trends are extremely obvious and developers seem to embark on more creative games a lot less.

Another thing I don't like in the modern era is having to hold a button to do an action. Hold to save and load in Assassin's Creed Odyssey? Why? Some people say it's because of consoles. That is not the case, and not a good reason. Controllers did not have issues with just tapping a button to do something. Seriously, how hard is it to avoid pressing a button you don't want?

I really dislike that floaty laggy movement a lot of modern games have. The player characters aren't responsive enough. It's either mouse acceleration or a compromise for better animations or something. Also pay-to-win features and lootcrates just seem really scummy and immoral to me. Grumbly rant over.

The fact that competitive fps are no longer pure skill only where everyone has the same weapons/same hitboxes/jump height/speed/etc...Basically, the best players are those with the fast reflexes, knowledge of the maps/weapons and not just because they all use the same "ebin dual-wielding pistolero who has the revive ability" (just an example). I miss the days of ut 1999 and quake III arena... From the beginner to the fps verteran everyone played with the same set of cards.

non skippable in-game cutscenes are the worst; they remove all replay value.

But I think all modern games should have fully customizable characters, like Sunset Overdrive or Saints Row games had, so you can wear whatever you want, have any skin color, etc.

I can't relate to any of the protagonists in AAA titles, and I hate their outfits

1 hour ago, Captain Toenail said:

I really dislike that floaty laggy movement a lot of modern games have. The player characters aren't responsive enough.

I'm not sure I've experienced this at any point. What exactly do you mean by this? Most shooters I've played feel fast and responsive to input.

41 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

A problem with today's gaming. Terms of services showing up before you play.

All games have Terms of Services though, even if no-one ever bothers to read them (unless I'm misunderstanding, in which case I'm sorry).

8 hours ago, seed said:

All games have Terms of Services though, even if no-one ever bothers to read them (unless I'm misunderstanding, in which case I'm sorry).

Old games didn't have them.

1 hour ago, The Strife Commando said:

Old games didn't have them.

They did, for legality, you may find them on the installer, manual, or even a text file that came with them.

Ah, sorry for double posting but I just remembered!

Installers! Since nowadays we install most of our games through platforms and launchers, like Steam, PSN or whatever, fancy installers with custom designs seem to have disappeared.

I really enjoyed those that would be themed with the game, like the Doom 3 installer, and those that would show you screenshots or even videos while you waited, it made me excited to think "That's what I'm gonna be playing!". I know it's such a small thing, but it was nice, even though they were not always present.

I’m annoyed with RPG elements being shoehorned into seemingly everything

Apart from that, I miss when games were released only once they were totally finished. Early access, day-one patches, etc. 

1 hour ago, Senor500 said:

Installers! Since nowadays we install most of our games through platforms and launchers, like Steam, PSN or whatever, fancy installers with custom designs seem to have disappeared.

I really enjoyed those that would be themed with the game, like the Doom 3 installer, and those that would show you screenshots or even videos while you waited, it made me excited to think "That's what I'm gonna be playing!". I know it's such a small thing, but it was nice, even though they were not always present.

I miss the cool installers too. My all time favourite video game installers are from the Command and Conquer series (Red Alert 2's Installer taking the cake).

10 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I miss the cool installers too. My all time favourite video game installers are from the Command and Conquer series (Red Alert 2's Installer taking the cake).

I still have the game and did not remember the installation at all, watching that video brought back so many memories, I also agree that it is one of the best and most creative installer

Everything having to be a rogue-like or a rogue-lite. I tend to not like that style of gameplay in general, losing two to three hours of progress because I made a few too many mistakes and am now ill-equipped to deal with the next encounter with no way to allieviate it due to stingy health recovery resources. It tends to be a style that either relies so heavily on having a "lucky run" or so heavily on near-perfect skill that it can't establish an accessible middle ground. I can't think of a single rogue-esque game that I wouldn't have enjoyed more with traditional level progression (even if they were randomly generated) or the ability to actually keep trying a challenge when I died. Also, so many of these seem to have a drastic gulf in the difficulty between beating a level and fighting a boss; two of the worst that come to mind for this are Dungeon Souls and Ziggurat, the former of which like to fill the screen with bullet-hell projectiles as your character ambles around like a turtle for most classes and the latter soaking up round after round while offering ammo drops but no health, filling the arena with more and more minions the longer the fight goes on. I always see a red flag when I see either of these tags in the description.

11 hours ago, Senor500 said:

Ah, sorry for double posting but I just remembered!

I do installers for my games, and even burn the games onto a cd-r, now they aren't super cool installers like in red alert 2, just generic default stuff

I also keep installers for my games, although I don't make them, I like to get them from GOG if I can.

I keep them as backups on an external drive, and I carry it to the school and install some 90s games there, since they're pretty light nobody notices. They're also good in case my computer dies, which seems like it's gonna happen soon, so I can get them on any other computer without problem.

Download speeds in my countrt are usually very slow unless you have the money for a good one, so these are more of a quick solution for that.

2 minutes ago, Senor500 said:

I also keep installers for my games, although I don't make them, I like to get them from GOG if I can.

I keep them as backups on an external drive, and I carry it to the school and install some 90s games there, since they're pretty light nobody notices. They're also good in case my computer dies, which seems like it's gonna happen soon, so I can get them on any other computer without problem.

Download speeds in my country are usually very slow unless you have the money for a good one, so these are more of a quick solution for that.

Sorry, meant to edit the previous post, and i can't seem to be able to delete this one.

Just now, Senor500 said:

I also keep installers for my games, although I don't make them

i meant my games, as in the games that i made

Super duper enhanced 9,000p display on 5,000 inch TV. 

I'd take classic DOOM on a CRT display over that one any day.

I love the post apocalyptic but when the only enemy is various zombies it just doesn't interest me anymore. Some of those games look really cool but I can't be bothered really. I want a post apocalyptic world that oozes with mystery, atmosphere and you don't know what you'll encounter next. Why is it always on Earth? I want to crash land on a post apocalyptic planet like in the olde sci-fi novels. Main quest could be unraveling what happened to the alien civilization. So many things that could be done with the genre but a zombie-fest seems what gamers want most.

6 minutes ago, Doom_Dude said:

I love the post apocalyptic but when the only enemy is various zombies it just doesn't interest me anymore. Some of those games look really cool but I can't be bothered really. I want a post apocalyptic world that oozes with mystery, atmosphere and you don't know what you'll encounter next. Why is it always on Earth? I want to crash land on a post apocalyptic planet like in the olde sci-fi novels. Main quest could be unraveling what happened to the alien civilization. So many things that could be done with the genre but a zombie-fest seems what gamers want most.

Speaking of zombies - and nazis as a matter of fact - these are 2 concept I am completely tired of in media.

They're just so cliche and boring at this point I'd say all life was sucked out of them...

@seed Oh yeah, I forgot about nazis and I have to completely agree with you. So much life was sucked out of nazis, that somebody invented nazi zombies and started to stuff them into games too.

I mostly dislike the "games as a service" idea, grind, predatory monetization, lootboxes...
As for actual gameplay:
-Bland generic filler with the same npcs and quests repeated in infinite numbers."collectibles" that will all be the same with just a small text difference.
-Gameplay that relies too much on rhythm and sequences, it makes me feel like i'm in a factory. It punishes you for pushing a button too soon or too late in a small window.GRRR
-Too much tutorials
-Candy crush syndrome of instant gratification
I feel particularly insulted by the last two.

Pointless skill trees. In most games, I don't know what to pick, because:

1. I get skill points so early that I don't have the chance to play WITHOUT upgrades.

2. New skills aren't really necessary to progress.

3. I don't want to make the game less challenging.

oh, now i remembered too: adding rpg-like progression/upgrades everywhere.

Hero shooters are a massive turn off to me. It feels forced and awkward as you have to build tactics around abilities. I prefer my multiplayer games more basic in terms of player balance - all starting on equal ground. It feels more rewarding outplaying enemies in those games.