Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xvertigox

WAD Progression for Skill Improvement

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, GarrettChan said:

I think now you would fully understand why I rated Scythe as a 2.8 right? I had the exact feeling and a similar time to beat this map the first time. Congrats on finishing it for sure.

Totally, this map was insane in every sense of the word, and thanks!

I can provide you with a way that I used the Invul to significantly lower the difficulty of the Red Key (?) fight where you are on a narrow platform with lots of Revenants and some AV on the back.

Sure, how did you do it? Personally, I found this to be one of the easier fights. I provoke the revenants through the passage with the windows and let them inadvertently injure and eventually kill the archviles. It takes a while, but is a reliable zero risk strategy. Once the AVs are dead, taking down the revenants is a simple task. I use the invulnerability for the yellow key fight. 

If you really wanted to polish your skill, you can try something like Alien Vendetta (2.4), Ancient Aliens (2.0), Eviternity (2.1) and Valiant (2.5* read below). These should be a good step stone for you to have better understanding of the game.

I do plan to check out these, in addition to Revilution, BTSX and Rush. I haven't decided on a playing order yet. And how do the hardest maps of tougher wads like Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed, Scythe 2, Speed of Doom compare to something like Fire and Ice?

Edited by a.a.i.

Posted (edited)

deleted double post

Edited by a.a.i.

Posted (edited)

Ancient Aliens (2.0), Eviternity (2.1) and Valiant (2.5*

Eviternity is faaaaaaar below AA in terms of difficulty.

If AA is 2.0, then Eviternity should be no higher than 1.5 and Valiant would be around 1.8 I feel. I swear most people are underestimating AA's difficulty.

Thanks to the Cyberdemon BFG two-shot training from Epic 2, I went back and finished Scythe map 23. Still died a lot because while I've learned the technique I'm not actually very good at it yet. I had previously made it to Scythe 24 and quit out at the big Revenant-filled corridor in Scythe 24. Thanks to all the practice I got with the Revenant dance when play-testing my WIP "Nukage Treatment Pools" map, I was able to handle that one this time as well. Strangely enough, Scythe 25 looks to be a little breather in comparison.

5 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

If AA is 2.0, then Eviternity should be no higher than 1.5 and Valiant would be around 1.8 I feel. I swear most people are underestimating AA's difficulty.

Your rating standard is probably different from mine, so it doesn't really matter. I rated everything based on the hardest level to make a saveless UV Max, which means length is also a factor.

6 hours ago, a.a.i. said:

Sure, how did you do it?

I do plan to check out these, in addition to Revilution, BTSX and Rush. I haven't decided on a playing order yet. And how do the hardest maps of tougher wads like Alien Vendetta, Hell Revealed, Scythe 2, Speed of Doom compare to something like Fire and Ice?

Huh, interesting. I still think that fight is the hardest heh, but if you thought that's easy, the more power to you. Usually when I'm doing these maps, I don't waste my Invul to deal with something I can do without and save it for the most annoying part. I found that one I was talking about posted a problem to me, so I saved the Invul and charge in and kill everything after triggering the trap.

AV could be a fun one to see something not very vanilla from a "texture" standpoint. Scythe is the "standard texture" type of feeling, but AV has different texture and stuff. It's sort of weird that some of the AV maps have stock texture feeling to it, which makes it not very consistent, so this depends on what you think. Both AV and Scythe are from the era of 200X.

HR is the extreme difficulty of 90s WAD, and there are certainly a lot of annoying design to the maps which may not be enjoyable. 90s WAD either clicks with you or fail miserably depending on your taste. I rated it 2.9.

In Scythe 2, Erik retained his very good mapping skill for sure. Early levels are pretty good, but later levels have 2 custom monsters that are... a thing to make the blind experience very bad. I would say people don't (or rarely just be at the safe side) use custom monsters at this level anymore after this, so I would say it seems unconsciously mappers thought that's a bad idea, but we have to respect somebody actually trying it out to see. I rated it 3.2. In case you wonder what are one of them:

Spoiler

Speed of Doom has a bit of slaughter map inside, so that's a different category I would say. Despite always having an eternal debates about what's a slaughter map, it does play differently from regular maps. There are a few here and there in other WADs mentioned above, so those could be used as an entry point for slaughter maps. SoD focuses more on slaughter IMO, so if you're not into this, probably that's not your thing. I haven't finished SoD, but I would feel it's somewhere around 3.0.

7 hours ago, Stabbey said:

Thanks to the Cyberdemon BFG two-shot training

Guess you'll like this:

The list's order is confusing to me, so I'll just say generally that it is in the easier half of slaughter things.