Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DemonHunter1996

Anyone know how to edit levels for doom 3?

Recommended Posts

Well, you need to download GtkRadiant (or just Doom 3 Radiant/Doom 3 Editor).

 

This programm is similar to Doom Builder for classic Doom. Of course you will need some tutorial.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Mordeth said:

No problem! Paging @DooM_RO, @Shaviro... two mappers currently involved in creating the Doom3: Phobos mod.

Actually by Caffeine Freak too.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Đeⓧiaz said:

This programm is similar to Doom Builder for classic Doom. Of course you will need some tutorial.

No it's not. But that tutorial is a good place to start. Katsbits got lots of good stuff about Doom3.

 

You got a few editors to pick from.

These are the ones available: (There are more but these support it out of the "box")

Doom3Radiant (Built into Doom3's executable, though I don't know if it's in the Doom3 BFG edition)

DarkRadiant (Dark Mod version of Radiant, made to work with Dark Mod specifically but also support Doom3)

NetRadiant (Fork off of GTKRadiant v 1.5)

GTKRadiant

 

Making maps for Doom3 is a lot like making maps for Quake 3 but there are some differences.

For instance, instead of relying on VIS for culling. Doom3 relies on vis portals that you place around the map yourself. 

The lightning system requires a lot more careful placement of lights. You want to have as few overlapping lights as possible for the best speed.

 What is good about Doom3 is that you have all the .map files available in the game, so you can open up the maps from the game to look at them and experiement with how they work.

Search youtube for tutorials on building maps in Radiant. There are a lot of pages around the web that got tutorials too. Though you'll probably have more luck finding them for Quake 3 than Doom3 these days.

Share this post


Link to post

DarkRadiant is better than the vanilla editor which for many people might not even work on modern OS without any problems anymore.

 

Tbh Doom 3 modding is mostly dead. There are still a few guys on the Doom 3 Discord but we are probably talking about less than a dozen active members if even that. Doom 3 levels take a very long time to make and the skill ceiling for making good maps is much higher than for Doom or even Quake. Another problem is that because of the limitations of the engine it can be very hard to make levels that aren't very similar to the ones from the original game. The BFG edition (which is what most "modern" Doom 3 players probably have) also can't run custom levels.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

Here's some links to some tutorials I found useful while I was working on a map, might continue work on it (someday)

http://idtechforums.fuzzylogicinc.com/index.php?topic=19.0

 

I'd recommend using DarkRadiant, the built-in editor seems unstable and lacks some useful features, it's kinda inconvenient.

https://www.darkradiant.net/

EDIT: You might also want to open some of the game's default maps using the editor, just extract them from the pk4 files and open them, I found this handy to get basic ideas on how some structures are built and how some entities work.

Edited by tempdecal.wad

Share this post


Link to post

@DemonHunter1996 I'm one of the ones working on Doom 3: Phobos and have been working with the Doom 3 editor for about a decade on various projects. I could probably answer any questions you might have.

Share this post


Link to post

I've stuck to Doom3Radiant, the editor that came with Doom3 for the entirety of the Phobos project.

I did shortly try out DarkRadiant and others, but D3R just won out in the "What You See Is What You Get" department with the actual renderer being built in. I have no doubt that the other editors have more features and less bugs though. Over time I've come to really appreciate Doom3Radiant for what it is.

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, Caffeine Freak said:

@DemonHunter1996 I'm one of the ones working on Doom 3: Phobos and have been working with the Doom 3 editor for about a decade on various projects. I could probably answer any questions you might have.

OK, I can't seem to find any mods for Doom 3 on Modb, or nexus.  But thank you for the help

Share this post


Link to post
21 hours ago, kristus said:

No it's not. But that tutorial is a good place to start. Katsbits got lots of good stuff about Doom3.

 

You got a few editors to pick from.

These are the ones available: (There are more but these support it out of the "box")

Doom3Radiant (Built into Doom3's executable, though I don't know if it's in the Doom3 BFG edition)

DarkRadiant (Dark Mod version of Radiant, made to work with Dark Mod specifically but also support Doom3)

NetRadiant (Fork off of GTKRadiant v 1.5)

GTKRadiant

 

Making maps for Doom3 is a lot like making maps for Quake 3 but there are some differences.

For instance, instead of relying on VIS for culling. Doom3 relies on vis portals that you place around the map yourself. 

The lightning system requires a lot more careful placement of lights. You want to have as few overlapping lights as possible for the best speed.

 What is good about Doom3 is that you have all the .map files available in the game, so you can open up the maps from the game to look at them and experiement with how they work.

Search youtube for tutorials on building maps in Radiant. There are a lot of pages around the web that got tutorials too. Though you'll probably have more luck finding them for Quake 3 than Doom3 these days.

Thanks for all of the help! I used the resources you guys let me know about and I am currently making a Doom 3 map with the stuff you said to use.

 

Again, thank you all and have a wonderful day.

Share this post


Link to post
On 6/19/2019 at 7:23 PM, hardcore_gamer said:

DarkRadiant is better than the vanilla editor which for many people might not even work on modern OS without any problems anymore.

 

Tbh Doom 3 modding is mostly dead. There are still a few guys on the Doom 3 Discord but we are probably talking about less than a dozen active members if even that. Doom 3 levels take a very long time to make and the skill ceiling for making good maps is much higher than for Doom or even Quake. Another problem is that because of the limitations of the engine it can be very hard to make levels that aren't very similar to the ones from the original game. The BFG edition (which is what most "modern" Doom 3 players probably have) also can't run custom levels.

 

How about modern source-ports for Doom 3? I think I've spotted a few online. Do these perhaps remove some of these engine limitations?

Share this post


Link to post

The engine limitations mostly lie in hardware processing the real time lightning.

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×