Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Black Void

The worst thing to happen...

... it all started about 4 weeks ago, I was starting to do my second level for a mini wad of about 6 levels (a combination of two people's levels, Epyo and myself). Anyways, my computer started giving me guff. I didnt think much of it, so I continued along the road, working on my level. So I come home one day; I go to load my level. Well, to my suprise, it's not there. So I go to open it up in DoomCAD... NO MAP FOUND. That's right- some weird way its just not found; the file is there, I click on properties; 0 kb. Oh well thats nice to know, what the hell happened? So its almost the end of the first week... I'm getting pissed off now, OTHER FILES BEGIN TO BE GONE. Included in this is my community chest level (which yes, there is another open slot, this is also announced in the big thread under general AND no, I don't want to do it again).

Week 2: Now my whole computer is in some sort of stasis. Weird. Sucks. Nothing is working right including my editor. Norton says aint nuthin' wrong, so I shrug my shoulders and continue. Earlier months ago, my computer had to re-formatted and ever since then it was acting kinda funky, but now, it was really whacked out. The week goes by, cant access jack crap, Drama is keeping me late to get home (yeah, yeah, im involved with Drama... SO FLAME ME!). The week comes to an end, the thoughts in my mind, "Epyo's gonna be pissed!"

week 3: My editor is working again! YES! "Victory is mine!" I say, as I get right back to work. Well it turns out by the middle of the week that the level is going no where; it sucks, horribly sucks! So what do I do? I start over again... it goes from a blood base, to a tech base, to ice caves, to an infested tech base! Uh-oh... end of week 3, Epyo's probably thinking I'm some sort of sloth!

week 4: Alright; the time is now to get down to some serious buisness! OK- all is cool now, I'll be fine, won't even be a rush product! I finish it halfway through the week; it's now Thursday. I'm talking to Epyo, "Yeah dude- this is great!" Well, what happens? Wadauthor (or maybe something else, I don't know) screws me over. I get all of my zdoom changes in and WHAM! I'm hit with a low blow when I find out it's pulling this crap again with a 0 kb file. Great. Grand. Wonderful. Im tired; I want some sleep.

Friday: Today is the final day! Epyo needs this done before newstuff #100 and I have to make sure it gets in before then, SO TODAY IS THE LAST DAY! Well, I spruce up the level a bit more, make it as good as possible and zwadconv it- what should happen, the second I save all the zdoom stuff under wadauthor, IT MESSES UP PRACTICALLY ALL OF MY SECTORS! NO JOKE! I'm sitting there online, talking to epyo, like, "I'm so pissed! ARGH! GRRR! FUCK THIS! ARGH! GRRRRRRRARGH! DAMN IT!" It's driving me mad that this 2 day level, has taken 4 weeks! So it boils down to 10:15 pm (Eastern Time) and everything seems to be going fine, until I notice like 5 more totally toasted sectors. It took me until about 11:15 until I got them fixed and when I did, it was the best feeling of relief! I CAN FINALLY GO TO SLEEP, KNOWING ALL THIS IS OVER WITH! SOOOOOOO... what was the point of this thread you ask? To share a doom story that was harmful to me; anyone else who wants to release these horror stories that could have made them give up on Doom, please, feel free to reply!

I feel you man. my comp is goin on the blink to. Internet jams up somtimes. maybe thats because I'm on the fringe of the dsl area. my mouse is possesed. It jumps around, starts scrolling uncontrollably, goes to one of the corners and gets stuck for a minute, and yesterday in completelty froze twice. that was making my project and gaming suffer horribly. I think it may be time to get a new mouse or something. a new computer would be better though.

VileSlay said:

I feel you man. my comp is goin on the blink to. Internet jams up somtimes. maybe thats because I'm on the fringe of the dsl area. my mouse is possesed. It jumps around, starts scrolling uncontrollably, goes to one of the corners and gets stuck for a minute, and yesterday in completelty froze twice. that was making my project and gaming suffer horribly. I think it may be time to get a new mouse or something. a new computer would be better though.

IRQ conflict ahoy. Sounds like your modem and mouse are throwing food at each other.

Does a reluctant sound card count? It works only when it feels like it, and when it does work, it dies after 5 min. Gawd I needa new card!

Well, at least the internet works on your computer. Mine doesn't. Well, actually, my Dooming computer is the one with the crapped up internet connection... If it didn't, I'd already have uploaded my stuff by now at my site (damn you error 666, DAMN YOU!!!). The computer I'm using has all of my brother's Half-life crap. Stupid bastard being a fucking Half-life conformist! >:( I can't believe he hates Memento Mori, the stupid dumb ass!

This mouse kinda sucks. Sometimes it takes on a life of its own and starts to move up and down really fast on the screen.

I just installed 256Mb of RAM,andnow my PC seems to use up memory even faster. I've heard this is a common problem, but I forget and can't seem to find how you're supposed to fix it.

I'm planning to rebuild this PC within the next year anyway, reuse the case and peripherals, salvage what parts I can and replace what I need.

Turns out it's a bug in my virus scanner that's causing all these computer problems. :/

Xian said:

Im involved in drama too. dont flame me

Arn't we all? ;-)

BTW, aside from computer troubles, has things going wrong with you people ever made you REALLY want to quit editing? The Darkheart (the level found in Epyo's wad, the infested tech/cave place), almost made me say screw it all. However, as long as people enjoyed that level, I guess that's enough to keep me going :-)

Black Void said:

Arn't we all? ;-)

BTW, aside from computer troubles, has things going wrong with you people ever made you REALLY want to quit editing? The Darkheart (the level found in Epyo's wad, the infested tech/cave place), almost made me say screw it all. However, as long as people enjoyed that level, I guess that's enough to keep me going :-)

well, due to the aforementioned mouse problems, I have not been able to play doom, let alone comment on your level. I can't work in PSP, play mouse driven games, or edit levels effectively. thats kinda making me want to forget about anything that involves computers period.