The traditional 'new computer' thread

OK, I've got myself a new machine to play with :P

AMD Athlon XP 2000+
256mb DDR Ram
40gb HDD
48x48x12 Burner
16x DVD Rom
64mb GeForce2 MX 400

It's quite fast and I havent really had any major problems yet, except that the stupid modem refuses to work...

Also, I think its quite funny that software-rendered games run faster than OpenGL/D3D games, because the vid card is much slower than the processor, heh. I'll hold off getting a new video card though until just before Doom 3 comes out. (It'll sure be hard :P)

Also I think it needs more RAM, which I'll be getting when I can afford it, and a new sound card, since the motherboard card is crap. (It can't even handle 3d sound in ZDoom :/)

SlayeR said:
It's quite fast and I havent really had any major problems yet, except that the stupid modem refuses to work...

Dude, get DSL.
It's worth it.

I wish I could get DSL, it figure tho- the firehall next door can get it, but we can't.

jws said:

Dude, get DSL.
It's worth it.

We live in Australia. DSL is very expensive, and you need to be a millionaire to afford it here.

mmnpsrsoskl said:

We live in Australia. DSL is very expensive, and you need to be a millionaire to afford it here.

What he said ;)

I got the modem to work now, anyway.

We actually have cable internet out in the Northern Forest here, but our dialup access is already paid up until June. That's right, v.92 56k dialup that has a speed no greater than 19.2k dialup, shared among 3 computers.

Looks nice, but your graphics card is a bottleneck.

Specs for my PC (Including future upgrades around Doom3):

Intel Pentium 4 Northwood 3.060 gHz or higher
NV30 or higher
512 mb PC 1066 RDRAM
45GB + 40GB + 8GB + 6GB hdd's

Great, another new computer thread.

I upgraded to a XP 2100+ w/ 512 megs DDR 2100 ram and a GF2MX400 the other week but I didn't make a big thing out of it.

how come no one mentions what motherboard they using in their new rigs? that's more important then anything else. talk about a video card being a bottleneck, a crummy motherboard can be a bottleneck for the entire system.

and for the record:
current doom3 machine
AMD XP 2000+
Soyo Dragon KT333 Dragon Ultra
512 PC2700 DDR
Geforce4 Ti 4600

built by me, natch

other doom3 machine (under construction):
Pentium4 2.4+
Soyo P4X400 Dragon Ultra
256 PC3200 DDR
Radeon9700

I got the board for this one cheap, and i may use it, and DDR400 support is possible on the VIA P4X400 chipset

mmnpsrsoskl said:

No you don't. My friend is currently unemployed and can afford DSL and a backup dialup account (he was affording it while he was employed too, the bastard was gettin $20k a year for a part time job)

GooberMan said:

No you don't.

Well to get a decent service with a nice download limit, you do. I am going to wait until I move out before I think of getting it.