Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rescue86k

Locked linedefs in Doom Builder 2 or X?

Question

Lost Souls from hell infinitely invade until you collect the red skull and walk over their spawn spots, (10 locations planned). Spawn spot being worked on now. 

I'm using Doom Builder X, (& 2 aswell, if need). GZDOOM builder has lock number. I wouldn't mind migrating but if I do that will I ruin compatibility for Zandronum, using lock number? Else is there a solution (preferably the easiest). I'll have to stop the OPEN script once player has key and walks over. Aswell as something to notify the spawn point shutdown. Here is the current lost soul code.:

//lost souls spawn for 80 years

script 899 open {

while(true) {
  int x=1; //set x to 1 for each loop
  while(x<=1) // number of monsters to spawn
                 {
x++;
SpawnSpotFacingForced("lostsoul",138,0);delay(1);
delay(10); //wait 10 ticks to spawn each monster
}
delay(1000); //wait 100 ticks and do it again
}
}

Modified code found here on the forums. Also might be bad to keep them infinite due to longevity of performance as game continues.

Screenshot_Doom_20190622_000521.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190622_000643.png

5 answers to this question

Lock numbers in key-locked doors i assume? If that's the case, there has been support for that since Skulltag so no need to worry about breaking compatibility.

I wouldn't migrate over to GZDB if i were you, as you will likely get higher RAM usage and lower performance overall. Just switch to GZDB temporarily, change the lock number, save and go back to DBX.

As for the lost souls, you can use the last parameter of SpawnSpotFacingForced to assign the lost souls a TID you haven't used yet (I imagine 15523 would work as a number no one uses) and place this check BEFORE you spawn the next lost soul:

if(ThingCount(T_NONE, 15523) > 75) {delay(35*10); restart;}

This way, if there's 75 lost souls already spawned by this spawner, it won't spawn anything and tries to spawn another one in 10 seconds.

Edited by -TDRR-

11 hours ago, -TDRR- said:

Thank you! Works. Off topic. I wanted to switch to ambient sounds, and music. Using things. I see some ambient sound objects. It should really make the map pop and fix later issues with multiplayer music playing for all when player 1 in e1m2 while other in e1m1 for example.

I needed help making it work. Toss a thing in, it plays a sound locationally, within a radius? Then if placed, will it be better to have just 1 and large radius to cover entire area OR 4-10 in each building smaller radiuses (overlapping a bit) (will they sync together or sound like hanger playing a ton of the same track etc). Would I be able to add 2 things, 1 is music, the other is the sound of acid water, or the sound of being outside. 

The linedefs activating sound will work single player, but it has so many problems down the road, and extra work load.

Also I'm getting to the point of adding you in if you want, likely in a terminal, no idea of purpose but will give one! I would request an image you prefer, be it you, or avatar, or logo. The image will be modified, so if it was your face, it  will be doomified like the doctor in the picture. You can even type what youll be saying. I change as needed to fit the map later. Here is an example of what is in the map now so you have a feel for what it will be like.

TERM1.png

TERM2.png

Just now, rescue86k said:

Thank you! Works. Off topic. I wanted to switch to ambient sounds, and music. Using things. I see some ambient sound objects. It should really make the map pop and fix later issues with multiplayer music playing for all when player 1 in e1m2 while other in e1m1 for example.

I needed help making it work. Toss a thing in, it plays a sound locationally, within a radius? Then if placed, will it be better to have just 1 and large radius to cover entire area OR 4-10 in each building smaller radiuses (overlapping a bit) (will they sync together or sound like hanger playing a ton of the same track etc). Would I be able to add 2 things, 1 is music, the other is the sound of acid water, or the sound of being outside. 

The linedefs activating sound will work single player, but it has so many problems down the road, and extra work load.

Just add one and cover a full area with it. The music can easily be done with LocalSetMusic, which only affects the player activating the special.

Just now, rescue86k said:

Also I'm getting to the point of adding you in if you want, likely in a terminal, no idea of purpose but will give one! I would request an image you prefer, be it you, or avatar, or logo. The image will be modified, so if it was your face, it  will be doomified like the doctor in the picture. You can even type what youll be saying. I change as needed to fit the map later.

Just add me as a orange-armored Doom 64 marine, TDRR would be my codename. What exactly am i supposed to do? Guide the player? I'm going to write the dialog but i don't know what is my character meant to do.

The sprites can be found in Doom 64 Retribution, Doom 64 Absolution, Skulltag, BD64 and probably others.

EDIT: I don't really have a logo and i'm not comforable with showing my face, besides, my avatar is this https://forum.zdoom.org/memberlist.php?mode=viewprofile&amp;u=23670 And even though it's silly and kinda funny, i don't see it fitting in a mostly serious Doom mod.

You know E1m2, the section where you need to get the chainsaw secret? I'm pretty certain thats where youll be. I went into that section and ran back out again, then shut down the game. Killed my playtesting for the night.

Screenshot_Doom_20190621_105401.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190621_105409.png