Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Fizanko

Zandronum and item pickup flash

In GZDoom and in PrBoom+ i can disable that in options, but in Zandronum it seems they never implemented this unfortunately.

As if there's one thing along viewbob that i never liked in Doom even when i was still young, it's that item pickup flash, so as i quite like Zandronum for various reasons, i have been looking into how it could be possible to get rid of that annoyance.

Editing a source code and recompilling things for my own use is way beyond what i can do so i have been looking into simple modding, the pickupcolor definition sounded rather interesting. From what i understood doom palette does not feature a transparent color sadly for my use.

So all i could do with my extremely poor knowledge have been to change the color of this item pickup flash to black, as it's the color when ingame that hurt the eyes the less of all i tried when picking bunch of items in short time, with a simple mapinfo file into a blackflashpickup.pk3 that contain

gameinfo
{

pickupcolor = "00 00 00"

}

The advantage of this basic pk3 is that it works in all gameplay mods i tried on many wads.

But is there a better way (i mean one that would get rid of this flash once and for all instead of just changing its color to one less hurting the eyes) and would work on every gameplay mods/wads like this basic pk3 does ?

Try using:

pickupcolor = ""

instead.

Not sure if it actually works, but try it anyways. If not, try using:

pickupcolor = "FF FF FF"

And see if that removes it.

THANK YOU !

pickupcolor = "FF FF FF" create actually a white flash (so even worse than the default one)

but pickupcolor = "" actually remove it completely !

it's been so long i have tried to get rid of this eye bleeding "feature" in Zandronum and thanks to you i finally got it removed !

EDIT : oh no, i posted that too quick, didn't played enough to pick more item after the one i just tested, unfortunately it does not solve the problem as there's still a noticable flash, i guess it's back to the default one with "" , as i played after the "FF FF FF" that made it full white i didn't noticed at first that it was back.

Oh well ... thanks anyways, confirmed that it does not seem possible sadly with such simple editing.

Edited by Fizanko : oops