Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jark

The Modest Mapping Challenge (Old Thread)

I like the idea of this challenge; I can see a lot getting done with 40 sectors, 4 enemy types and the limited weapon types.   I'll take Map15 if you don't mind.

2 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Why is the city episode after hell anyway? Not that it's a problem. Just curious.

As described in the OP, the general plot is:

After you go through the portal in the ruined base, you fight your way through Hell to another portal that is being used as a staging ground for an invasion. Once through, you're in a metropolis that is now demon-infested, so you have to fight your way through it and end the invasion.

2 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Well I guess I'll snag map 26. Why is the city episode after hell anyway? Not that it's a problem. Just curious.

It was just to be unique from Doom II in terms of episode order. There were a lot of different episode themes discussed. I personally recommended throwing Jungle in as a theme but we decided it'd be frustrating to pull off without Plutonia textures. I think seeing City as the final episode will be interesting because most city levels are not balanced to be placed at the end of a WAD. 

I wonder how the city maps would turn out with such limitations. I would like to claim map 05 if you don't mind.

3 minutes ago, Solmyr said:

I wonder how the city maps would turn out with such limitations. I would like to claim map 05 if you don't mind.

My guess is that they'll feel similar to the Doom II City levels. Abstract and Twilight Zone-ish.

MAP03, which I call "Into the depths bellow..."
Is Fin. (except for any bugs I may squash).

map03_mm_zillo.PNG

Hello there.

I have finished all my 4 claimed map slots, and all those who are curious may try em out here:

Into the depths bellow (Map03)           : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/m-o/mm03
The Library of Truth (Map27)               : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/library27

Shitgunner and Grosse32 (Maps31-32): https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/s-u/shitgunner32

Have a good one y'all, and best of luck to the other creators!

3 hours ago, Zillo “Ziyo” said:

The Library of Truth (Map27)               : https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/j-l/library27

Tried out Library. Fun, though a slow start, shotgunning spectres and lost souls in tight corridors. Though given it is a puzzle map, the pacing makes sense.

There are some absolutely awesome parts, such as when the shelves lower in the first room, and the BFG encounter. I believe the run for the yellow key is a bit annoying, having to traverse atop so many shelves.

Overall, a good map. I may review the others at some point.

On 7/16/2019 at 3:53 PM, obake said:

Tried out Library. Fun, though a slow start, shotgunning spectres and lost souls in tight corridors. Though given it is a puzzle map, the pacing makes sense.

There are some absolutely awesome parts, such as when the shelves lower in the first room, and the BFG encounter. I believe the run for the yellow key is a bit annoying, having to traverse atop so many shelves.

Overall, a good map. I may review the others at some point.

Thanks; let me know when ya do.

5 hours ago, Walter confetti said:

How's progress going on this?

At the moment, there are 16/32 maps completed - with quite a few of the unfinished maps having been worked on for awhile. From what I gather, mappers with multiple slots (myself included) work on multiple maps (for this project, as well as others) at the same time - meaning they more or less are finished in relatively similar time span, just taking a bit longer than mappers with one slot, so there are quite a few near-complete maps that I know of. With a month left I think we'll easily make the deadline. 

I received a map slot (map 29) from someone else recently and I started to work on a map, i've made some pretty good progress so far, maybe this will be the first time i actually get a map done for a CP that isn't a speedmapping session lol

20 hours ago, Jark said:

At the moment, there are 16/32 maps completed - with quite a few of the unfinished maps having been worked on for awhile. From what I gather, mappers with multiple slots (myself included) work on multiple maps (for this project, as well as others) at the same time - meaning they more or less are finished in relatively similar time span, just taking a bit longer than mappers with one slot, so there are quite a few near-complete maps that I know of. With a month left I think we'll easily make the deadline. 

I see, thanks for the answer! I don't have discord on my phone, so I don't know what it happens on this project...

I'm wondering if there are any more suggestions for my map?

So far this project is looking fantastic!

3 minutes ago, obake said:

I'm wondering if there are any more suggestions for my map?

If you want Obake, I can put it up for playtesting once again in the Discord - PM here though if you have an updated version from the 16th of July version I playtested then and gave feedback to. You could also put it on other servers to trial like JOM.

I'm glad the Title was updated, but I think for people who are interested more into the project should get a little taste.
To all who haven't checked in a while, Alpha-Testing is underway, all maps are complete, and it's coming along together nicely.

585109904617111592.png

10 hours ago, Zillo “Ziyo” said:

I'm glad the Title was updated, but I think for people who are interested more into the project should get a little taste.

More alpha testers are always welcome! If people wish to test then please message me or join the discord, I will then send you the V0.1 alpha. It will not be openly public until most of the bugs and balancing issues have been fixed to a satisfying enough degree - This would be the public beta.

Jolly good morning/afternoon/evening!

Today is the release of the public beta for Modest Mapping! Of course I won't beat about the bush with how long it has taken, my ineptitude has had a severe impact on this project and its progress but alas - the wait is over! Alpha testing was concluded and with a few changes we felt it was ready to ship for a public beta, while most bugs have been squashed it is possible a few cockroaches might remain. If so, please leave a comment about it on this thread if you are not already in the Discord! Any feedback would be helpful.

Feel free to stream or distribute the WAD amongst peers as long as the credits file within is kept in tact!

All the best and happy holidays!

(The download link is on the OP)

RC1 is out folks! As stated on the original post, we sorely need episode 4 tested before we can finally release this project! I thank all of you that have stuck with us this far but the finish is in sight! (Download for RC1 on OP)

Four stars for @JustCallMeKaito's map 07 06, would give it 5 if there were half less health spheres, but great stuff, made crispy doom melt frames which doesn't happen very often. Another 4 stars for map 06 05, cramped zerking revs/spectres and rocketing sergeants/HKs was fun. Those are the only two maps I played til the end (died at the death exit on map 07 as soon as I pressed use on the door, lel). 

Edited by galileo31dos01 : fixed map slots

@Austinado and @galileo31dos01 thank you very much for playing!

Very brave of you to test in Crispy Galileo! The End of Map06 (which is not map07 - apologies for any confusion) is a death exit that requires a few seconds of being dead to end the level. We have tried quicker techniques but unless it is hardcoded we cannot make an instant death exit