Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Jark

The Modest Mapping Challenge (Old Thread)

32 minutes ago, Jark said:

@Austinado and @galileo31dos01 thank you very much for playing!

Very brave of you to test in Crispy Galileo! The End of Map06 (which is not map07 - apologies for any confusion) is a death exit that requires a few seconds of being dead to end the level. We have tried quicker techniques but unless it is hardcoded we cannot make an instant death exit 

I made it with the door...but needed a few times.

2 hours ago, Jark said:

The End of Map06 (which is not map07 - apologies for any confusion) is a death exit that requires a few seconds of being dead to end the level. We have tried quicker techniques but unless it is hardcoded we cannot make an instant death exit

Fixed!

Also, I would only imagine it'd be a shock to die and restart if you were playing blind saveless, because what looks like a simple door is an instant death exit in concept (I went from 200hp to 0 in nothing), and if you happened to press use on that "door" the exact moment the barrels explode you're just sent back to the start. Perhaps moving that door a bit further in a tunnel would prevent accidental restarts particularly on blind playthroughs.

21 hours ago, galileo31dos01 said:

Fixed!

Also, I would only imagine it'd be a shock to die and restart if you were playing blind saveless, because what looks like a simple door is an instant death exit in concept (I went from 200hp to 0 in nothing), and if you happened to press use on that "door" the exact moment the barrels explode you're just sent back to the start. Perhaps moving that door a bit further in a tunnel would prevent accidental restarts particularly on blind playthroughs.

I wasn't aware the death exit was not triggered by using the door - this information is invaluable and we will either move the fake door further back or replace it with a corridor etc

EDIT:

see below post

Thank you for the feedback!

Edited by Jark

@galileo31dos01 it appears I used the wrong edition in compiling maps and the newer one actually works 100% of the time! Problem solved (albeit one month in the past and a missed message :P)

In my opinion, MAP21 sticks out like a sore thumb because I forgot to add my name outside the level (because I submitted it back in June).

@DukeOfDoom if you add your signature outside of the map I am happy to incorporate it! Just make sure to join it to a preexisting sector to avoid breaching the sector limit!

Guys, you have one BIG problem, at least if you play in GZdoom: if you exit MAP32, you will end up in MAP02, not MAP16. You have incorrect MAPINFO.

Apart from that, there is one mildly annoying bug in MAP26: if you find the soulsphere secret, half the sectors around the map will be marked purple as "found secret sector". See the screenshot.

And MAP29 could use more texture polishing, there are lots of misaligned ones.

Screenshot_Doom_20200125_201928.png

2 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

Guys, you have one BIG problem, at least if you play in GZdoom: if you exit MAP32, you will end up in MAP02, not MAP16. You have incorrect MAPINFO.

Apart from that, there is one mildly annoying bug in MAP26: if you find the soulsphere secret, half the sectors around the map will be marked purple as "found secret sector". See the screenshot.

And MAP29 could use more texture polishing, there are lots of misaligned ones.

Screenshot_Doom_20200125_201928.png

Cheers for the Feedback, changes are being made! Is there anything else you wish to comment on? episodic order feeling with continuous (if you are playing that way) for example?

I played continuously on UV, I like it more that way. The maps are a mixed bag, but that's to be expected. I encountered misaligned textures or monsters facing the wrong way in many maps, but it had minimal impact on the gameplay. Maybe you could ask the authors to make one more UV run through their own maps and check that?

Oh and... why is SSG missing in all the maps? Or is it there on lower difficulty?

2 minutes ago, Caleb13 said:

I played continuously on UV, I like it more that way. The maps are a mixed bag, but that's to be expected. I encountered misaligned textures or monsters facing the wrong way in many maps, but it had minimal impact on the gameplay. Maybe you could ask the authors to make one more UV run through their own maps and check that?

Oh and... why is SSG missing in all the maps? Or is it there on lower difficulty?

Could you specify which maps have misalignments or wrong facing monsters?

SSG is expelled from this project - check the rules for why!

I would like to say that it was great fun to play this megaWAD. I did not played the secret maps, sorry about that.

I would like to congratulate all the mappers in this project! Nice job indeed, and thanks @Jark for the request.

3 hours ago, Jark said:

Could you specify which maps have misalignments or wrong facing monsters?

I don't remember exactly, unfortunately. Like I said, they had minimal impact on gameplay, so if you don't want to check yourself, leave them in.

@Austinado

I am glad you enjoyed it and grateful you played it! 

With your feedback we can make the appropriate changes and release TMMC!

For those following and not already knowing, the full release just dropped!