*Thank you all for the useful feedback and advice as many have guessed I'm not terribly experienced in this field, but I'm quickly learning! Shoutout to @Pegleg, @JustCallMeKaito and @LowGcifer especially!*
This is my first proposed challenge/community project, The Modest Mapping challenge!
TMMC aims to create some limitations in order to challenge mappers, without being too restrictive and to create a fun and enjoyable MegaWAD.
These rules can be subject to criticism and change - and have been revised quite a bit already (haha):
When choosing resources, pick both D1GFXD2 and DOOM2.WAD
- IWAD: Doom 2
- Compatibility: Limit-removing
- Doom 2 textures or D1GFXD2, but no editing of said textures
- 4 Monster types of your choice from Doom 1 and 2 can be used (as many monsters of the types chosen can be used). We were going to limit certain monsters like higher tier enemies to later levels but felt that was much too restricting and it is up to how the mapper uses them
- Each map must include 3 difficulty levels, different difficulties DO allow for different monsters e.g: easy = sergeant | normal = chaingunner etc
- SSG is not allowed (this is to emphasise other weapons which can sometimes be under-used or not used at all when compared to the SSG, which is a staple for taking down practically any enemy in both games' rosters - without it would make for much more interesting combat situations)
- Maximum of 40 sectors total (joined sectors are allowed (using shift+J or J))
- Must be possible from pistol start
- Most importantly remember to have fun! - I'm looking forward to seeing what people come up with!
- Guns, ah yes, Guns - there will be a variation on the weapon progression system per say where each episode (not map specific and only first two episodes) has some restricted arms to match the monsters and pacing of each map. The way we're going about the format means we have limited powers over customising the game so that death exits are only at MAP11 and MAP20, meaning that if one mapper gives the player too much ammo or guns, the next persons map could be completely steamrolled.
Due to the nature of the rules and episodes, the maps are likely to be short, making it time and stream-friendly. You may pick whichever map in whatever episode you'd like to map but be aware we may move it to a more appropriate slot based on its difficulty (this shouldn't be much of an issue).
Mapslots (will be updated with every new slot taken):
Episode 1: Caverns - No SSG, Plasma rifle or BFG
MAP01 - @Jark COMPLETE
MAP02 - @AD_79
MAP03 - @Zillo “Ziyo” COMPLETE
MAP04 - @ShadesMaster COMPLETE
MAP05 - @Solmyr COMPLETE
MAP06 - @JustCallMeKaito
Episode 2: Ruined tech base - No SSG or BFG
MAP07 - @Count651 COMPLETE
MAP08 - @Jark
MAP09 - @xxWeNxx
MAP10 - @fraggle
MAP11 - @Pegleg
Episode 3: Hell - No SSG
MAP12 - @Liberation
MAP13 - @Count651 COMPLETE
MAP14 - @LowGcifer
MAP15 - @joepallai
MAP16 - @DukeOfDoom COMPLETE
MAP17 - @Bolt_Action
MAP18 - @obake COMPLETE
MAP19 - @LowGcifer
MAP20 - @LowGcifer
Episode 4: City - No SSG
MAP21 - @DukeOfDoom COMPLETE
MAP22 - @Walter confetti COMPLETE
MAP23 - @Jark
MAP24 - @Bolt_Action COMPLETE
MAP25 - @Count651 COMPLETE
MAP26 - @Super Mighty G COMPLETE
MAP27 - @Zillo “Ziyo” COMPLETE
MAP28 - @LowGcifer COMPLETE
MAP29 - @therektafire
MAP30 - @JustCallMeKaito
MAP31 - @Zillo “Ziyo” COMPLETE
MAP32 - @Zillo “Ziyo” COMPLETE
The Deadline for all map hand-ins is The 1st of September (all day), although there will probably be exceptions. Expect to see the completely compiled megawad soon after.
Demons have gotten to Earth. Again. And they all seem to be coming out of a cavern - you're dropped off and venture down it, blowing anything that steps in your way to pieces, before happening upon a Tech base in disrepair. Within the decaying walls, whilst fighting tougher foes, you stumble across a portal - this is what the demons must have used to cross into our world. Confident in your ability to pull a trigger, you take a step through. Your eyes water as the stench of rotting flesh fills your nostrils and you realise you're in hell itself. As you tear through anything living in your path, you see another portal, demons stream through it to the other side and you have no choice but to follow. It's a massacre. You're surrounded by a sprawling metropolis with demons a-plenty, you must kill every last one of them, none must survive.
Example map/MAP01: http://www.mediafire.com/file/7zl0o6v3fqrtpx9/ModestMAP01.wad/file
The Discord is: https://discord.gg/2TJbPej
Link to Doom 1 in Doom 2 textures: https://www.realm667.com/index.php/en/texture-stock-mainmenu-152-97360/doom-style-mainmenu-153-87237