Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChicagoTrash

Making Doom realistic

@xvertigox Hah, that looks great! That toilet paper! Amazing. Keep it up, those fans are a great idea actually. Very nice.

Didn't the Doom alphas come already with some sprite-based furniture, and even a flat resembling a deck of cards on a table?

The problem (or blessing) with such gimmicks like sector-art or 1px-wide details is that, well, they still look pretty Doom-y, so not realistic in a traditional sense. That being said, they always did add a memorable trait to any map where they appeared, starting from e.g. Doomsday of UAC and even to Final Doom (those truck wheels...).

2 hours ago, Maes said:

Didn't the Doom alphas come already with some sprite-based furniture, and even a flat resembling a deck of cards on a table

Yeah, the roller chairs and cards flat in the first alpha.

Spoiler

The problem (or blessing) with such gimmicks like sector-art or 1px-wide details is that, well, they still look pretty Doom-y, so not realistic in a traditional sense. That being said, they always did add a memorable trait to any map where they appeared, starting from e.g. Doomsday of UAC and even to Final Doom (those truck wheels...).

They work best in a self-aware, tongue in cheek sorta way for the most part. The wad that I'm making that's got a whole heap of sector furniture is a jokewad (in premise, not in terms of gameplay unless you count the poo golems) which works pretty well IMO.

Edit: I agree, if you're aiming for properly realistic maps sector furniture should be carefully looked at - chances are it'll look goofy.

Edited by xvertigox

I have made a lot of sector furniture in my own megawad but that one isn't really serious. Not a joke wad but not serious either. I think if someone is going for a more "serious" realistic look in doom, sprite based furniture is better. I feel really excited whenever I see such furniture in a (GZ)doom wad. I just feel like if the wad is going to have fancy stuff like 3D floors and all that GZDoom bells and whistles, the sprites are a nice touch.

I really don't like wads that try to make maps look like real buildings and stuff.  I like doom for it's abstract nature and alien worlds.  If I want to see real looking rooms I'll just go to work.  :P

On 6/24/2019 at 10:22 PM, leodoom85 said:

Wanna know an even more realistic mod? Hideous Destructor.

I always think that 32 height units are the "equal" to 1 meter for some reason.

Have to agree, nothing can beat hideous destructor's rainbow six/ghost recon level of realism.