Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
B3L7

Reactor Core (My First Wad)

Started making this a few years ago. I got close to wrapping it up but never quite put the finishing touches on it. Figured since I don't seem to be going back to it that I might as well share it:

Reactor Core

Port: GZDoom (Expects free look and jumping)

IWAD: Doom II

Screenshot 1:

Spoiler

reactorCore1.png

Screenshot 2: 

Spoiler

reactorCore5.png

Screenshot 3:

Spoiler

reactorCore6.png

Hopefully I can find the time in the future to get back into making WADs as I really enjoyed it.

Edited by B3L7

I've completed your map on UV in 8.54 minutes, with 94% kills, 44% items and 0% secrets.

The map was a quite ambishous project for a first map, with this large techbase full of huge rooms, and this is probably the reason of you giving up the project.

But ok, starting with the visuals:

surely this map tries to surprise the player with huge rooms, light works and colored lights. Sometimes this works, other times not. The rooms were big but quite ubderdetailed. The first one is decent, but the nukage pool lacks of decorations. There is this really nice light gradient and the centeal pillar, but the rest of the room is empty. Considering that this is your hub maybe it is better to create something memorable for this zone, or at least good. In this same zone, in one of the shotgunners closets there is a giant hall of mirror.

The lift that can go up and down to various levels is a nice idea, but it is completly full of not lower-unoegged textures.

Nothing to say about the light work however, it was really nice.

Thing placement:

it was a balanced map. Maybe the lost souls ambush after the blue key is a little bit too grindy considering how large is the room and how fast are the lost souls pushed back when you hit them. 

The canyon fight was nice, I liked the lost souls that can freeroam between the rocks.

The nukage pool is really screaming for a radsuit. Really. You can't place a mandatory door on the other side of a damaging floor room without providing a radsuit (and at the same time fill the room with hitscanners), this can easily softlock a player if he has like 30-40 hp remaining, because reaching the exit is impossible due to the unavoidable damage (placing the exit behind a cyberdemon without giving any weapon is more beatable than a damaging floor without health and radsuit, and it is an awful gamplay choice)

General design:

it was a linear map, with a central hub and 2 key hunts. There were no connection between areas, exept the main path, so this is something to improve. A linear map doesn't have to be a room, after room, after room experience. It can loops around itself multiple times, but at any given time only one new path is opened (this is a nicer way to make a linear map, if this is your ultimate goal).

Overall a medium quality first map. You seem to have a preference for big rooms so if you are patient enough you can surely create something really nice

@Super Mighty GThanks. I updated my post to reflect these standards.

59 minutes ago, Simomarchi said:

I've completed your map on UV in 8.54 minutes, with 94% kills, 44% items and 0% secrets.

The map was a quite ambishous project for a first map, with this large techbase full of huge rooms, and this is probably the reason of you giving up the project.

But ok, starting with the visuals:

surely this map tries to surprise the player with huge rooms, light works and colored lights. Sometimes this works, other times not. The rooms were big but quite ubderdetailed. The first one is decent, but the nukage pool lacks of decorations. There is this really nice light gradient and the centeal pillar, but the rest of the room is empty. Considering that this is your hub maybe it is better to create something memorable for this zone, or at least good. In this same zone, in one of the shotgunners closets there is a giant hall of mirror.

The lift that can go up and down to various levels is a nice idea, but it is completly full of not lower-unoegged textures.

Nothing to say about the light work however, it was really nice.

Thing placement:

it was a balanced map. Maybe the lost souls ambush after the blue key is a little bit too grindy considering how large is the room and how fast are the lost souls pushed back when you hit them. 

The canyon fight was nice, I liked the lost souls that can freeroam between the rocks.

The nukage pool is really screaming for a radsuit. Really. You can't place a mandatory door on the other side of a damaging floor room without providing a radsuit (and at the same time fill the room with hitscanners), this can easily softlock a player if he has like 30-40 hp remaining, because reaching the exit is impossible due to the unavoidable damage (placing the exit behind a cyberdemon without giving any weapon is more beatable than a damaging floor without health and radsuit, and it is an awful gamplay choice)

General design:

it was a linear map, with a central hub and 2 key hunts. There were no connection between areas, exept the main path, so this is something to improve. A linear map doesn't have to be a room, after room, after room experience. It can loops around itself multiple times, but at any given time only one new path is opened (this is a nicer way to make a linear map, if this is your ultimate goal).

Overall a medium quality first map. You seem to have a preference for big rooms so if you are patient enough you can surely create something really nice

@Simomarchi

Thanks for taking the time to play it. I really appreciate the feedback. I think your points on the central hub are spot on. I built the map room by room as a learning experience and I think that approach obviously reflects in the end result. If I were to take on something this ambitious again I would sit down ahead of time and plan out the design and goals of it. 

In terms of the elevator: I remember having a lot of trouble with the textures in it but its been so long I don't remember what lower-unpegged is. I would have to look at it further if I were to continue making WADs.

Seeing that you didn't find any secrets do you think they were not placed well or did your lack of enjoyment cause you to not explore?

Thanks again for your time and feedback.

1 hour ago, B3L7 said:

If I were to take on something this ambitious again

And thank you to teach me the correct way to spell ambitious :)