Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shadow Hog

Fork in the Road - a UMAPINFO project (2019-07-03 update: Alpha 3)

That sounds promising and looks really cool! I especially love the Doomguy with the map in his hands and the intermission screen. Very funny and well made.

I love this concept, and would love to see it in the occasional level pack.

I played a little bit in GZDoom, since EE doesn't support this yet. I used an older devbuild, so the intermission for map08 appeared.

I noticed something that seemed wrong:

Spoiler

I got blasted by an arch-vile in map05, and sent over the railing before the secret exit. This made me stuck in the pit of water; forcing a load.

3 minutes ago, PaquoCastor said:

I noticed something that seemed wrong:

Hide contents

I got blasted by an arch-vile in map05, and sent over the railing before the secret exit. This made me stuck in the pit of water; forcing a load.

Whoops, completely forgot that might be possible. Toggled some Impassible flags to prevent that happening in future builds, thanks for the heads-up.

This was pretty good. The challenge really starts to pick up in the harder tiers. The script for advancing the level was needed quite a few times. Here's my semi-blind venture.

Yeah, on that note, I've been thinking... is there a way in ACS to easily determine if a specific enemy class has been replaced by a modified one? I kind of want to redo the script to be automatic instead of requiring manual input from the user, but I also don't want it to fire the BossAction events twice in the event that the monsters are purely vanilla (as the DeHackEd changes will execute properly in that case).

1 hour ago, Shadow Hog said:

Yeah, on that note, I've been thinking... is there a way in ACS to easily determine if a specific enemy class has been replaced by a modified one? I kind of want to redo the script to be automatic instead of requiring manual input from the user, but I also don't want it to fire the BossAction events twice in the event that the monsters are purely vanilla (as the DeHackEd changes will execute properly in that case).

You could use a CheckProximity command.  Run an If scrip that checks for the presence of a specific enemy class, and then activate the relevant scripts based on that.

Edited by Bauul

On 6/29/2019 at 2:51 PM, Bauul said:

You could use a CheckProximity command.  Run an If scrip that checks for the presence of a specific enemy class, and then activate the relevant scripts based on that.

Yup, after some finagling that worked perfectly. Since I wanted that fixed ASAP, I've gone ahead and pushed a revision that should be way, way more compatible with mods. I've tried several - Guncaster as per above, but also BDLite, Smooth Doom, Cola3, and even abort_m for a laugh, and they all work as expected (even the ones listed here that don't replace the enemies - actions aren't fired twice or anything).

Also some tweaks to level design here and there after watching the video above. Seems I mostly did pretty good about indicating the way forward, but there were a few kinks that needed ironing out, so I did.

I managed to play through every level and find every exit, standard and secret, in every level, I think.

I think the secret exit in the first bonus level wasn't that tricky to figure out. I think only a few levels had cryptic secret exits. Map02 and map08, with the latter being far worse. And some levels are more fun with one exit instead of the other, like map05 secret and map08 standard. I think 04 was the only meh boss stage, with map07 having that annoying mancubi on a thin bridge part. I assume that was inspired by "Hectic" of Doom 64. The city level was, by far, my least favorite in the bunch. Not nearly as good as the good Doom II city maps. Some elevator usage in maps seemed odd, but when in Boom? The third bonus map was really cool.

Overall, it's a great set, and I'll be sure to play more when it's done.

Thanks for the example here @Shadow Hog - I'm working from this to implement UMAPINFO in Triacontathlon, which has been the intention for a while.

bumping this, got sent here by someone with good taste <3 Drain the Subterraine is an amazing cave map, I just want to say it rules!

@Shadow Hog This wad is quirky and great. We've been using it to test UMAPINFO support in Odamex. Coop online is very fun in this wad because you can blaze through most maps. Do you ever intend on "finishing" it? If so, there are some issues you could fix.

In some maps, your voodoo doll control sectors have the first linedef to activate dead center on the marine. Sometimes, the line may not activate (on certain source ports) because the game doesn't see the doll "pass" the line. An example is for the floor raise sector in map07 that takes you up to the arachnatrons. Photo with problem linedef highlighted below:

image.png.5d47b424bf83532b4336a7faa28393c3.png

This set deserves a larger audience so I hope that you will continue working on it! I will swing by and post any other issues I find as we playtest more.

Thanks for the kind words. Rest assured I haven't actively abandoned this, I'm just really slow. All this time and I've only really made one new map (though to be fair it's a very big map - and I did start work on another recently)... mapping block, what can ya do.

I'll double check the voodoo doll scripts for the next revision, sure.