Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

USA Network Orders ‘Masters Of Doom’ Pilot Produced By James & Dave Franco

3 minutes ago, Mk7_Centipede said:

i mean, its gotta be better than DOOM: Annihilation, right?

What's wrong with D:A; is it even out yet?

Doom Annihilation will be sweeeeeeeet. Like, it'll (probably, maybe) be a shit Doom movie but it'll be fun and cool to see all the demons. Unless they completely butcher it by making excruciatingly boring somehow I imagine it'll be like Doom (2005) where if you appreciate it for what it is it's a fun watch.

I just checked the imdb page cause I haven't been keeping track of it and rofl, this is 'Dr. Sandy Peterson'.

Spoiler

MV5BMmFiYmEzNzgtZTVlMy00ZjQxLTk2ZGYtODhi

I did not anticipate my biggest issue with Doom (2015): they're not demons. The juxtaposition between space and Hell is why I am obsessed with Doom, so I think I could have put up more with a lot of the B-movie dumbness if they hadn't gone this route... 

Seth Rogen as Tom Hall, James Franco as Romero. I will give James Franco all of my money for this.

They should include fight scenes. Tom Hall had fights with rest of the team to get his secrets and teleporters added to game.

To be honest, this sounds like a far better idea than any trial doing a Doom movie. Dooms storyline simply does not have enough flesh to make a great story for a movie, you have to add to many stuff, which may not fit. Masters of Doom on the other hand gives a great story.

6 hours ago, geo said:

I'll tear it apart for not being the Doom novels.

I was going to say "sure, let's show audiences what revenants are really supposed to look like" and then put up whatever Google images gave me for "skeleton in lederhosen", which is word-for-word what they're called when they're introduced in the books. Google was like, "well here are some lederhosen pictures and some skeleton pictures, but both? are you kidding?" so I searched for the attire that lead Fly to make such a comparison, "skeleton in white shirt red shorts". I thought the internet would have something, but no. The Doom novels created something so stupid that the not even the internet, home to all kinds of memes and sp00p, can match.

18 hours ago, Master O said:

Knowing Hollywood, it will be terrible.  

I don't really see what Hollywood has to do with this. The USA Network is headquartered in New York. 

15 hours ago, elend said:

That was also the first thing I was thinking about. No matter what they'll do in this show, the Community will tear it apart, just how they did with Sigil.

Just because two Youtubers who are bad at Doom made angry reviews about Sigil because it was hard doesn't mean the community "tore it apart." 

Okay, fair enough. My view might have been skewed in that regard. I just remember several people complaining quite much. Maybe a better example is the Doom Annihilation movie then? This one‘s not even out yet and a lot of people seem to hate it already. 

Whatever the case, I doubt this series will be a 100 % accurate to real life events and please everyone. If I‘m wrong, then all the better. 

Just now, ketmar said:

if they won't hire Romero to play himself, i won't watch!

He's getting old.

Just now, DooM_RO said:

He's getting old.

eh. makeup and CGI can do wonders. I WANT ROMERO!

Hollywood makes me break out in a rash.

I think the source material has significant potential, but I am nervous that they're going to 'awful' it up...

Disaster Artist was pretty decent, so maybe we'll get lucky on this.

I loved Masters Of Doom. I can understand people's apprehension though especially with how Gamechangers turned out. I'm not sure if Gamechangers was based on a book though?

We know we will ALL watch it even if its bad. But let's hope the source material is used well and it surprises us and its good.

I do like James Franco's work too. 

I wonder if they're going to shoot it in Dallas.

As to the Romero playing himself thing...he looks totally different than he did 25+ years ago. He's more filled out, his hair is different, and he's clearly older (handsome as he is). He probably also sounds completely different as well. It would be extremely silly and unnecessary.

On 6/28/2019 at 5:58 PM, SiFi270 said:

I was going to say "sure, let's show audiences what revenants are really supposed to look like" and then put up whatever Google images gave me for "skeleton in lederhosen", which is word-for-word what they're called when they're introduced in the books. Google was like, "well here are some lederhosen pictures and some skeleton pictures, but both? are you kidding?" so I searched for the attire that lead Fly to make such a comparison, "skeleton in white shirt red shorts". I thought the internet would have something, but no. The Doom novels created something so stupid that the not even the internet, home to all kinds of memes and sp00p, can match.

This was the closest thing I could find. Lot of artists are really missing out on the doom niche market here...

image.png.8f3f5d03e197cfd9341ae568e1295dce.png

6 minutes ago, EtherBot said:
  Hide contents

image.png.85885d323cde060f604c54e14699a4c2.png

a gift, just for you

the first ting comes into my mind when seeing this is a scarecrow made by science lab's skeleton

On 6/27/2019 at 4:16 PM, Armaetus said:

This series can only end in tears and criticism from the Doom community and gaming community in general..if they butcher it to fit a specific narrative. If they keep the narrative politics neutral and chock loaded with facts and information, then it should come out relatively to mostly positive to the community.

It’s funny you should say that, I heard that Leslie Jones is being scouted to play Carmack and Romero has hinted that his character will offhandedly mention “you know New York real estate tycoon Donald Trump? Well I think he’d make a lousy president” multiple times throughout the film.

Near the end of the film, Jack Thompson himself walks into their offices and as a majestic eagle swoops in and lands on his shoulder, a single tear falling from its eye onto Thompson’s lapel flag, Jack says “gamers are dead” and the whole Id team stands up and claps while deciding to self-censor and not release Doom. A beam of light emerges from Thompson’s third eye and Carmack approaches and drinks from it and denounces logic and reason in favor of transcendental beauty outside of the realm of understanding. Romero agrees to recite a pledge against “metal-rock music, the scourge of today’s youth” and encourages the entire theater to recite it along with him, breaking the fourth wall as the words play out in karaoke subtitles. The final musical number commences and the whole team reprises their elaborately choreographed “Keen Dance” from act one. Fin.

On 6/28/2019 at 7:52 AM, Swalzi said:

There is an animated pilot of "Master of Doom" back in 2006 that never succeeded on Newgrounds.

I've never read the book, so I don't know if it's accurate to the source material.

I can confirm that this animation is accurate. There's two whole chapters dedicated to repairing Carmack after he drank that Diet Pepsi and exploded. It's worth a read, you'll enjoy it!