Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

USA Network Orders ‘Masters Of Doom’ Pilot Produced By James & Dave Franco

You gotta have a scene in biopics like this where Carmack and Romero are talking to a 'suit' and he's all like "what, demon invasion in space?? It'll never sell!"

So since it's just the pilot that has been ordered, we don't know if the series has been ordered? Not sure if the news means the execs liked the pilot or merely want the pilot to be shot. 

They just "ordered" a pilot episode, I assume for internal viewing, and based on that they'll decide on whether to make a series or not. At least that's how I understand it.

Edited by DANZA

It doesn't sound like this show is going through the usual "pilot" process (upfronts already happened in May) so the odds of them producing a pilot and then not producing the full series seem pretty low to me.

I hope it has a scene where John Romero gets frustrated with some code and almost gives up, so he goes to meet his old friend Steve Jobs, who gives him a pep talk - and then we CUT to the next scene and there's a NeXT Cube on Romero's desk, and Romero says "now we're talking".

And then there's a fast-paced montage of John Romero writing Doom while Nirvana's "Heart-Shaped Box" plays in the background.

Also, I hope it starts with a shot of John Romero driving his Ferrari along a seaside Californian road while an internal monologue plays. "At the age of 26 I thought I had it all. Bread, babes, a cool car. But my life was about to change, when I became a MASTER OF DOOM", and then cut to the opening song. That would be awesome.

And when I saw awesome, I mean godawful.

9 hours ago, Ashley_Pomeroy said:

"At the age of 26 I thought I had it all. Bread."

Man loves his sandwiches, can't fault him for that.

On 6/27/2019 at 1:54 PM, Jonathan said:

Finally, my years of being too lazy to read Masters of Doom have paid off. I'm cautiously optimistic.

Haha. I finally finished reading that book last year or so. I don't like to read too! Now, they bringing it to the screen. Sheesh! :P

On 7/1/2019 at 5:31 AM, Maximum Matt said:

You gotta have a scene in biopics like this where Carmack and Romero are talking to a 'suit' and he's all like "what, demon invasion in space?? It'll never sell!"

I hope it will have a scene talking about using FOX's Aliens franchise.

8 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

There's not going to really be a mini series of this.

How are you coming to this? Production has already started. 

42 minutes ago, Ajora said:

How are you coming to this? Production has already started. 

Oh. Well, fans will get upset once it's released.

11 minutes ago, The Strife Commando said:

Oh. Well, fans will get upset once it's released.

I really don't think so. The Francos do good stuff. 

doom fans strike me as bad at appreciating doom material that doesnt very strictly conform to their image of doom material. you saw it with final doom to an extent, the doom novels, one might argue the doom comic although thats been weirdly accepted in an odd turn of of fate, you saw it again with doom 3, it happened with the 2005 doom movie, its already happened with the upcoming film despite that not even having been released yet.

i dont have the upmost confidence in this community when it comes to this docu-drama thing, regardless of whether its actually well made 

1 hour ago, Ajora said:

I really don't think so. The Francos do good stuff. 

Really?

I can’t really imagine how the Franco’s could screw it up, all their stuff is generally good, the source material is already in existence so it’s not like the story of Id is secret or up for debate, it’s a biopic not a “fill in the gaping story holes of the Doom storyline in a way that will only mesh with .02% of all players’ headcanon just based on the odds of each stylistic choice being made independently” and it’s on a TV station that I can’t really think of as being super edgy (maybe I’m forgetting some show that would prove me wrong about that).

Plus I heard on good authority that the Carmero slash romantic subplot has been greenlit due the lack of relationship drama in the source material so I’m excited to see what the Franco’s pull off!

Whenever I see Eduardo Franco, I just remember that he's the guy that cuts his own dick off in that one Netflix movie (called The Package I think?)

He's absolutely got the hair down for Romero.

On 7/9/2019 at 4:11 PM, EtherBot said:

doom fans strike me as bad at appreciating doom material that doesnt very strictly conform to their image of doom material. you saw it with final doom to an extent, the doom novels, one might argue the doom comic although thats been weirdly accepted in an odd turn of of fate, you saw it again with doom 3, it happened with the 2005 doom movie, its already happened with the upcoming film despite that not even having been released yet.

Saying that Doom fans have been complaining about new Doom content since 1996 seems like it would support the conclusion that complaining works, since it's still being made.

7 minutes ago, Linguica said:

Saying that Doom fans have been complaining about new Doom content since 1996 seems like it would support the conclusion that complaining works, since it's still being made.

I don't think that argument for causation is particularly sound. You do little other than point out the correlation and the two factors seem contradictory to me, at a glance. Doom as a brand has survived yes but not without a 12~ year hiatus. Doom fans tendencies have not changed, imo. You'd expect a more consistent output if those were causally linked.

What you're talking about is in no way exclusive to Doom and it's fans, EtherBot. A loud minority of idiots will constantly complain about stuff no matter what property or series or whatever we're talking about. I still remember everyone being like "oh god he's gonna suck" when Heath Ledger was picked to play The Joker. The idiots complained loudly and the film still came out and was still a success.

I only use that example because it's a well known one, this has occurred in the history of almost every property once it reaches a certain threshold of popularity.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

What you're talking about is in no way exclusive to Doom and it's fans, EtherBot. A loud minority of idiots will constantly complain about stuff no matter what property or series or whatever we're talking about. I still remember everyone being like "oh god he's gonna suck" when Heath Ledger was picked to play The Joker. The idiots complained loudly and the film still came out and was still a success.

Not only that, but Ledger's Joker is still widely considered to be the most impressive take all these years later. But moving on, fans bitched after Affleck was cast as the new Batman, and now they cry after he hanged up his cape. Now they're complaining about Pattinson, wanna bet what's going to happen next is exactly what happened before?

Honestly I think sometimes people just don't know what the fuck they even want anymore, and just complain for the sake of complaining. Some people can just never, ever be pleased no matter what.

Just remember, there are people who get mad for one decision and another group getting mad over the other. It makes it look like no one knows what they want but really there's just a lot of different opinions and each have their loud idiots.

I think there’s a common thread though in these cases and it’s members of a nerdy fandom get angry about pretty boys due to preconceived notions that any actor who appeals to women couldn’t possibly be a good casting choice for something they are fans of. Then someone has the balls to point out they are good actors and everyone sees them do a good job and they fall in line. It’s also a thing with kids, who are all over the Internet in fandoms but one might assume is an adult. When I was younger, the rumors/jokes were that Leo DiCaprio was going to play Anakin. Or the Backstreet Boys were going to play Anakin. This is the kind of thing that enrages fifth graders, for some stupid reason. 

Complaint breakdown prediction:

• (A) People who've seen at least one episode and complain about it: 10%
  • (B) People who haven't seen it at all and complain about assumed grievances: 30%
  • (C) People who haven't seen it but have read comments from group A and are parroting them: 20%
  • (D) People who haven't seen it but have read comments from group B and are parroting them: 30%
  • (E) People who haven't seen it but have read comments from both groups A and B and are parroting them: 10%

10 hours ago, insertwackynamehere said:

the rumors/jokes were that Leo DiCaprio was going to play Anakin.

Haha really? I kinda wished that happened, he is a great actor. Probably more of a young pretty boy back then but still a better choice.