Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eLeR Creative

Get Out Of The Dark

Hello everyone. I would like to present another update "Get out of the dark" to version 3. Two maps have been added in this version. The first is the sequel to "Get out of the dark" called "Shadows among the rocks". After escaping from the temple complexes, we find ourselves in a huge underground canyon in which we have to face the forces of hell pervading this world. The second is a bonus secret level. This is my first map I've created. In addition, the map "Get out of the dark" has received many visual improvements. Check it out yourself. Have fun playing.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/ff185xvyvg5q5xy/GOOTDv3.wad/file

Opinions and comments are welcome.

Screenshot_Doom_20230327_110735.jpg.c607888a47ce365fe2d19038bbb07e53.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_110650.jpg.33edf9016d59ddfe4020ea05bdee88e1.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_110616.jpg.78a29b7d04200f40baa50e105db368cf.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_110557.jpg.a9b619c275674fd5d18f576ad2d9f4fc.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_110421.jpg.005116a27a7ad915cb248cf2d33ca8a3.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_110400.jpg.758041112ff632af9862dc8685b6cdea.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_110047.jpg.e05edf614c260a5956cb2f0e3c756a2f.jpgScreenshot_Doom_20230327_111104.jpg.38d8d402bd8e4b11700efe2435880133.jpg

Edited by eLeR Creative : Map update

Archival entries:

=============

Hello everyone,
I would like to present "Get Out Of The Dark v2" . At the end of 2021, I refreshed this map with the latest port GZDoom capabilities. By adding new textures, environmental sounds, sprites, lights, I wanted to give this level a specific dark atmosphere.

Download link:

https://www.mediafire.com/file/cb38og68rwxtr0d/Get_Out_Of_The_Dark_v2.wad/file

Version: 2.0

Single Player: Designed for
Cooperative 2-4 Player: Yes  
Deathmatch 2-4 Player: Yes (not tested);

I tested it with: GZDoom since v4.6.1

Doom 2 (UDMF) Format

Freelook: Yes

Jumping/crouching: No

IWAD- doom2.wad

Map is on map01

Base: New from scratch

Editor(s) used: Edmap, Doom Builder, GZDoom Builder master, Ultima Doom Builder
Known Bugs: No

Patch notes:

- A lot of visual changes have been made - new textures, more architectonic 
  details, added lighting;
- New secrets have been added;
- There has been a slight change to the level communication system (exit from 
  the prison, access to the red card tower) to improve orientation on the map;
- Increased amount of enemies and ammo / other items;
- Lots of decorative elements in the form of sprites and sound effects have 
  been added;
- Now you can dive in the swamp;
- An earthquake effect has been added;
- Music in the form of ambient has been added.

Opinions and comments are welcome.

I have just recorded film showing the finish of this level.

Edited by eLeR Creative

Archival entries:

=============

Version: 1.3.8

Patch notes:

- A number of optimizations were made regarding the placement of ammunition, first aid kits, armor, weapons, etc. (mainly by increasing the amount available on the map);

- Fixed texture wall in first secret.

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/kue1xpx3s7cgx0t/GetOutOfTheDarkV1.3.8.zip/file

=============

Version: 1.3.7

Patch notes:

- Texture alignment improvements;

- Two new secret places have been added;

- a number of optimizations were made regarding the placement of ammunition, first aid kits, armor, weapons, etc. (mainly by increasing the amount available on the map);

- optimization has been made for meetings with demons:

- In external areas, enemies appear only after entering a given subregion.

- The enemies appear on the tower of revenants only after approaching this area.

- Hidden opponents visible in external areas from behind prison bars;

- Several imps and one demon were added in prison;

- Mancubus was added to the outer area in the red key zone;

- In an ambush with a super shootgun, the demons were replaced in the red key zone as king of hells and two chaingunners;

- Changed arrangement chaingunners in the tower with a red key;

- In the temple of evil imps were placed instead of lost souls;

- Cyberdemon in the final sublocation is available on all skill levels;

- In the final sublocation, instead of imp'es, revenants and chaingunners were put in, and cacodemons and barons of hell were added.

- A number of markings for individual key zones have been added to facilitate orientation in the level.

- Prison bars opened with a lever using a yellow key were marked;

- Wall textures have been changed in the red key zone to help locate the secret passage;

- Columns with a yellow skull were added in the outer area of the yellow key;

- At the elevator to the technical room in the zone of the yellow key was added a pole with a yellow skull;

- In the tower located in the zone of the yellow key, the elevator was added a pole with a yellow skull and the elevator area was illuminated;

- A pole with a blue skull was added in the isthmus by the waterfalls;

- At the entrances to the outer area of the red key zone, columns with a red skull were added;

- A pole with a red skull was added to the revenat tower on the path leading to the center;

- At teleport leading to the tower with the red key, the posts with the red skull were added;

- The entrance to the prison has been improved from the side of the area of the outer zone of the red key.

Download link: https://www.mediafire.com/file/txzxbhc0t29ku32/GetOutOfTheDarkV1.3.7.zip/file

=======================================================================

Version: 1.3.6

Patch notes:

- fixed bug related to crashed in PrBoom +,

- difficulty grading added

- local gradation of lighting added,

- new textures have been added - rock with creepers (smooth ending),

- noises were separated between individual sub-location,

- basic optimization of the gameplay (distribution of weapons, ammunition, monsters),

- co-operation elements (not tested) have been added,

- change of the starting point in the new sub-location (adequate to the level title),

- an additional room was added at the old starting room,

- the room "Arachnotrons ambush" has been visually modified,

- the yellow skull key was given up. The door to the yellow key leading to the arena is now opened with a lever,

- the stone fortress in the yellow key zone has been visually modified,

- an alternative descent to the lower level of the above fortress was added,

- a transitional room was added leading to the area surrounding the above fortress,

- the area behind the river was expanded in the yellow key zone,

- blockages preventing the entry into the river have been removed,

- the triple tower with Revenants has been visually modified,

- added the effect of filling the moat with blood in the trap of hell barons in the blue key zone,

- added cracks in the above place,

- increased barriers on the river in the area of the blue key,

- the last floor of the bloody stairs was extended,

- the cage above the Revenant cliff was enlarged and an alley was added where you can hide from the enemy's fire,

- the transition to the area behind the river in the red key zone has been added,

- the area behind the river was extended in the red key zone,

- an alternative transition to the Revenants tower has been added,

- the Revenants tower interior has been visually modified,

- the blockade on the stairs inside the Revenants tower was removed,

- opening of rooms with monsters surrounding the main arena (temple of evil) was abandoned,

- the final sublocation was rebuilt,

- changing music to „Shawn's Got The Shotgun”

- Changing the texture of the sky (classic sky from doom 1)

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/p1byzxvmf4cud5f/GetOutOfTheDarkV1.3.6.zip/file

Version: 1.2
Patch notes:
- New decorations have been added (stalagmites in the zone of red, blue and yellow key).
- A new secret
- New texture (rock with creepers)
- A more realistic Mancubus cave in the yellow key zone (jagged shapes and shading).
- A more realistic Arachnotron cave in the yellow key zone (jagged shapes and shading).
- A more realistic Arachnotron island in the yellow key zone (jagged shapes and decorations).
- A more realistic Cacodemon cave in the yellow key zone (jagged shapes and shading).
- A more realistic Cacodemon cave in the blue key zone (jagged shapes and shading).
- Irregular shore at the bloody waterfall.
- Fix "slime trail" bug at the bloody waterfall.
- The barriers over the water in the zone of yellow and blue key have been lowered.

Download link: http://www.mediafire.com/file/ztk7e7nbanuo99r/GetOutOfTheDarkV1.2.zip/file

Screenshot_Doom_20190702_151208.png.f53d94e36925191fa1e4cd1569b59bcd.png

Version: 1.0

Download link:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/aadsdx1fe76psbj/GetOutOfTheDark.zip/file

Edited by eLeR Creative : Map update

No comments yet? That looks really good and I would like to try this out. Might take a while, though. My backlog is immense.

Had my eye on this for a while. Gonna check it out now, looks right up my alley.

Edit - Well, I checked it out and sadly had to call it quits. I found the level to be painfully difficult to the point where I was honestly dying every 10 seconds. Unfortunately there is no difficulty implementation either so playing on a lower difficulty was just as difficult as UV. I think what made the map so difficult was the lack of items, or at least the lack of items in the portion of the map I was unable to get through. I was never able to find any armor or better weapons and was stuck having to slowly chaingun high tier monsters while save scumming.

Hopefully you consider adding monster difficulty placements so I can give this another go. This is coming from someone who pretty much always plays Doom on UV without much trouble.

Edited by Count651

13 hours ago, Count651 said:

Had my eye on this for a while. Gonna check it out now, looks right up my alley. (...)

Thank you for constructive criticism. So far I have been testing the game myself and some things I could have overlooked, for example scaling difficulties.

Edited by eLeR Creative

Consistently crashed in PrBoom+ so I could not record a demo.

Very much like the aesthetic of the map. It wouldn't feel out of place in vanilla Doom 2 imo. However while a lot of it is designed to maximize the danger, it's very unforgiving in some places. The section on the cliff comes to mind. You have a tiny lift that goes down to a roaming Revenant with several more on the opposite ledge and zero room to maneuver. Then you go through a teleporter and are immediately assaulted by active chaingunners. The chaingunner snipers that are hard to see because their so high up were also the cause of several deaths. Another teleport in a secret teleports you right into a Baron's face. In these examples it's basically impossible to avoid damage unless you know what's coming. I'd try to lessen how punishing these situations are.

On an unrelated note, there were a lot of arbitrary impassible lines that looked like you should be able to move past. For instance the side of the stairwell in the Baron room was impassible despite there being no obvious reason for it. This is just my opinion, but generally if something should not be passable it should look that way.

To sum up it's a keeper and just needs a little fine tuning.

10 hours ago, Super Mighty G said:

Consistently crashed in PrBoom+ so I could not record a demo.

Very much like the aesthetic of the map. It wouldn't feel out of place in vanilla Doom 2 imo. However while a lot of it is designed to maximize the danger, it's very unforgiving in some places. The section on the cliff comes to mind. You have a tiny lift that goes down to a roaming Revenant with several more on the opposite ledge and zero room to maneuver. Then you go through a teleporter and are immediately assaulted by active chaingunners. The chaingunner snipers that are hard to see because their so high up were also the cause of several deaths. Another teleport in a secret teleports you right into a Baron's face. In these examples it's basically impossible to avoid damage unless you know what's coming. I'd try to lessen how punishing these situations are.

On an unrelated note, there were a lot of arbitrary impassible lines that looked like you should be able to move past. For instance the side of the stairwell in the Baron room was impassible despite there being no obvious reason for it. This is just my opinion, but generally if something should not be passable it should look that way.

To sum up it's a keeper and just needs a little fine tuning.

Thank you for showing the errors and shortcomings of the gameplay.

I have already fixed the error regarding crashed in PrBoom +

Currently, I optimize the gameplay and fine-tune the grading of game difficulty.

A new version of the map will be published soon.

I would like to add that version 1.2 is not playable in Vanilla Doom due to a "Visplane Overflow" error.

That's why I leave version 1.0 to download.

Hi, eLeR. I promised you a recording of me playing your map on YT and it still stands. But your map kicked my ass lol. I had to resort to save scumming, and I mean a lot of it. So I gotta echo some of the other comments: difficulty settings would be nice. Glad you're already working on that. The base monster count should be UV probably. I play on HMP just as often as UV, maybe more often even.

Aside from all that, the map looks really good. Can't wait to give it a proper spin, probably with High Noon Drifter.

Thank you for your feedback and videos. Thanks to them I made many changes and corrections in my level. In the first post, I provide a detailed description of the new version, a download link and a promotional video.

I encourage you to play and give feedback.

New version 1.3.7 aviable:

http://www.mediafire.com/file/txzxbhc0t29ku32/GetOutOfTheDarkV1.3.7.zip/file

Patch notes:

• Spoiler

• texture alignment improvements;
    • two new secret places have been added;
    • a number of optimizations were made regarding the placement of ammunition, first aid kits, armor, weapons, etc. (mainly by increasing the amount available on the map);
    • optimization has been made for meetings with demons:
      • In external areas, enemies appear only after entering a given subregion.
      • The enemies appear on the tower of revenants only after approaching this area.
      • Hidden opponents visible in external areas from behind prison bars;
      • Several imps and one demon were added in prison;
      • Mancubus was added to the outer area in the red key zone;
      • In an ambush with a super shootgun, the demons were replaced in the red key zone as king of hells and two chaingunners;
      • Changed arrangement chaingunners in the tower with a red key;
      • In the temple of evil imps were placed instead of lost souls;
      • Cyberdemon in the final sublocation is available on all skill levels;
      • In the final sublocation, instead of imp'es, revenants and chaingunners were put in, and cacodemons and barons of hell were added.
    • A number of markings for individual key zones have been added to facilitate orientation in the level.
      • Prison bars opened with a lever using a yellow key were marked;
      • Wall textures have been changed in the red key zone to help locate the secret passage;
      • Columns with a yellow skull were added in the outer area of the yellow key;
      • At the elevator to the technical room in the zone of the yellow key was added a pole with a yellow skull;
      • In the tower located in the zone of the yellow key, the elevator was added a pole with a yellow skull and the elevator area was illuminated;
      • A pole with a blue skull was added in the isthmus by the waterfalls;
      • At the entrances to the outer area of the red key zone, columns with a red skull were added;
      • A pole with a red skull was added to the revenat tower on the path leading to the center;
      • At teleport leading to the tower with the red key, the posts with the red skull were added;
    • The entrance to the prison has been improved from the side of the area of the outer zone of the red key.

Edited by eLeR Creative

I'll just paste my post from ZDoom forums:

So you updated it already! That's great, but don't fall into the trap of never being satisfied with your creation, which could force you to update one map infinitely and never work on new maps. Maybe consider making a new map, GOotD is really good already.

You know my opinion, but for people reading this: a very good large map, tons of monsters, the layout is sometimes confusing and one can get lost (I did), too many spots where the monsters can snipe you from afar. All in all, recommended. But maybe not on UV :

Here's my video playthrough of v1.3.6 (with Polish commentary):

Spoiler

Edited by Yebudoom

21 hours ago, Yebudoom said:

I'll just paste my post from ZDoom forums:

Here's my video playthrough of v1.3.6 (with Polish commentary):

Reveal hidden contents

Thank you for playing and opinion. This is the last version so much interfering with this level. If there are any subsequent versions, it will only fix the errors reported by the players.
I already have an idea for a new level.

34 minutes ago, eLeR Creative said:

I already have an idea for a new level.

Great! That's what I've been hoping to hear :)

28.03.2022 o 10:10 Maskarada powiedział:

Niesamowity poziom! Dziwne, że nikt się nim jeszcze nie zainteresował.

Thank you very much for your feedback.

Saw this on /idgames and gave it a try, I enjoyed it a lot. Big fan of the ambiance; the sound effects, ambient sounds, skybox, and so on (Maybe a bit of a niche reference but reminded me of Spyro the Eternal Night with its creepy forest levels). The combat was well paced too.

Thanks for the release.

On 4/16/2023 at 6:15 PM, Maskarada said:

Amazing maps, unique atmosphere. I had a great time playing it. I recommend to others.

It gives me motivation to continue working on this mappak.

I know the thread is old, but I played it in GZdoom 4.10.0 and I got stuck in the blue key cave in MAP02. I killed the revs and cacos after I grabbed it, pressed the switch outside and door opening animation played. But I found no way out, sector 4487 was closed. Maybe the script doesn't work properly in newer Gzdoom? I'm attaching the save file, maybe it will help to figure it out. Also, texture on linedef 6635 that opens the secret exit is misaligned.

And I noticed one minor problem in MAP01: near start, in the cell with the first spectre, you can walk through the back wall of the cell.

save01.zip

12 hours ago, Caleb13 said:

I know the thread is old, but I played it in GZdoom 4.10.0 and I got stuck in the blue key cave in MAP02. I killed the revs and cacos after I grabbed it, pressed the switch outside and door opening animation played. But I found no way out, sector 4487 was closed. Maybe the script doesn't work properly in newer Gzdoom? I'm attaching the save file, maybe it will help to figure it out. Also, texture on linedef 6635 that opens the secret exit is misaligned.

And I noticed one minor problem in MAP01: near start, in the cell with the first spectre, you can walk through the back wall of the cell.

save01.zip

Hello, thank you for playing my map and pointing out the errors. As for the non-running script, unfortunately I can't reproduce this situation. When I play the script works fine on both GZ Doom 4.10 and older versions. For now, I treat it as an anomaly. As for the other visual bugs, of course I fixed them and they will be included in the next release.

On 4/18/2023 at 7:31 AM, eLeR Creative said:

It gives me motivation to continue working on this mappak.

Are you planning a sequel to these maps?