Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
eulo

NERVE style wads

Hello! I'm really interested if any NERVE style wads exists for Doom 2. I really enjoyed No Rest for the Living, and I would love to see more from that style. I remember playing Castle's level released a few years ago, that was good, although the Brutal Doom only compatibility clearly hurt it.

Not sure what makes the difference to classic ID style, but I feel NRFTL is a bit of a mix of Romero's E1 style and modern FPS stlye like Half Life. There are large varieties of secrets too, some of them can be seen from windows for example. I also think the monster placement is different, hitscanners and AVs are rare for example, while imps, cacos, hell knights or pinkies are frequent. Layouts seem quite linear (it's impossible to get lost), but some nonlinearity was added as you can loop back to previous areas from different angles without getting confused.

Edited by eulo

yea, i feel the nerve levels kind of strike a balance of old and new design wise and are also visually more advanced than classic doom while still using all the vanilla assets exclusively.

i feel that @urthar was able to do something that at least felt similar to me personally in his "way 2 many dead guys" map pack. it's very high quality visually and also very fun to play. 

the screenshots posted there don't give the actual maps justice. it's a must play.

Yeah, NRFTL was one influence for WTMDG, but it might have way too many hitscanners for your tastes. You'll have to judge for yourself.

Check out Viggles' Breach & Brigandine. He's another big fan of NRFTL.

Edited by Urthar

Smothered Hope by Ed C. struck me as being very similar to NRftL so you may enjoy that. 

Following that, Warphouse is a bit more new school but it's also from Ed and a great play.

Thanks for the tips. I tried WTMDG. It was a really good experience with all the stunning 3D architecture. The first level was very cool, I would say it was pretty close to pro quality, but the second level had massive problems. I was under constant fire, first by a spider mastermind, then various arachnotrons, which was annoying. I also have to backtrack a lot to explore everything properly. There was one secret area where I fell to a previously found secret, and have to backtrack a massive portion of the map. I prefer tighter playthrough, even with big, open areas to visit. The third map was better, but it has confusing moments, particularly down in the mud.

It's certainly not NERVE in style, but the author is definitely talented and hope he will finish this wad one day.