Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ReaperAA

What is your favourite episode 1 level?

What is your favourite episode 1 level?  

85 members have voted

1. 1. What is your favourite episode 1 level?

• E1M1 - Hangar
    • E1M2 - Nuclear Plant
    • E1M3 - Toxin Refinery
    • E1M4 - Command Control
    • E1M5 - Phobos Lab
    • E1M6 - Central Processing
    • E1M7 - Computer Station
    • E1M8 - Phobos Anomaly
    • E1M9 - Military Base

Toxin Refinery.... those secrets are still looking fresh.

E1M5 and E1M7. When I was a kid and played Doom I would see them in the second and third demo slots (after E1M2), and I couldn't beat E1M4... so I hadn't been able to play them, so really wanted to get to them!

When I finally beat E1M4 then I was really chuffed to be able to play them! So yeah... nostalgia reasons but still. Great level structure too.

Musically it's e1m3 that constant beat and suspenseful synth just screams DooM to me. 

Level design wise its gotta be e1m7. Its the largest level of the episode but also a test to show how much you learned the weapons/keys/monsters up to this point.

E1M7. Doom doesn't scare me anymore obviously, but E1 was the one that used to actually scare me as a kid, and the music and design made M7 the one that did it the most. So it gets free nostalgia points.

Damn, all these levels are so good it's hard to choose one. That being said I'm going with E1M1, the map that started it all and the best music in the game.

E1M3 is a level I never want to skip. My least favourite is E1M4 — I find it hard to navigate.

E1M4 and E1M5 are kinda pointless, more of the same. The rest of the levels always add something new that we haven't seen previously.

E1M5 is probably my favorite level. So many visually striking spots that just stuck with me forever - Starting in front of nukage was pretty imposing for a new player, shooting up into and down out of the windows overlooking the courtyard with nukage pits, the big spiral staircase that leads to a big ambush, the secret door that lets you outside to a soulsphere.. It's always one of the first maps that comes to mind when talking about the best offerings from the IWADs.

The fact is though, E1 is damn near perfect and any map could be my favorite of that great bunch depending what way the wind is blowing. It's tough to pick just one favorite from the pack of 9 levels that changed the world more than any wad or mapset afterward ever would. Is my bias showing?

I'm in the camp of E1M9. A fun level with some twisty-turns and a rocking awesome song! Not to mention it's fairly easy to access compared to some of the later secret levels (I'm looking at you E4M2!). The only problem with E1M9 is the excessive use of hitscanners but being it's episode 1 I doubt they'd throw lots of caodemons or lost souls in your face (heck don't caco's start appearing until episode 2?)

E1M6: Central Processing

a map that i would have to start off with a little bit of simple basis of shooting pass spectres, imps, shotgunners, and zombiemen in that room for the red key..

cheatful way of accessing a secret where the second blue door was to get the yellow key is a tryhard move, i prefer or anybody would prefer taking the first blue door of the maze, cause getting 100% of kills, items, and secrets are still recommended, by the way, no secrets in the maze that we should all remember.

at the end of the map, while pressing a switch for the exit room, a gang full of demons stopping your way of completing the map, a rocket launcher was always recommended for shooting them down, or chaingun, if that would hold them back.

8 hours ago, Jeremixh said:

E1M6: Central Processing

a map that i would have to start off with a little bit of simple basis of shooting pass spectres, imps, shotgunners, and zombiemen in that room for the red key..

cheatful way of accessing a secret where the second blue door was to get the yellow key is a tryhard move, i prefer or anybody would prefer taking the first blue door of the maze, cause getting 100% of kills, items, and secrets are still recommended, by the way, no secrets in the maze that we should all remember.

at the end of the map, while pressing a switch for the exit room, a gang full of demons stopping your way of completing the map, a rocket launcher was always recommended for shooting them down, or chaingun, if that would hold them back.

E1M6 is really underrated. Sure it was a nightmare when we were kids due to its mazey layout, but overall it's a fun and memorable level. Also the music is underrated in that level.

On 7/2/2019 at 2:14 PM, Maximum Matt said:

Hey, that's cheating man

But it's true! I can't think of a map that i didn't like in all episode 1... If I have to strictly choose, from E1M3 to E1M7 is the best part...

All in all, I'd have to say "Knee Deep in the Dead" is my least favorite episode of Doom, probably of even RDoom or UDoom.

Part of how accurate I'd say DTWID is is how my favorite episode of it is the second with the first being worse by far than the third.

This is not to say that Knee Deep is bad, no it's rather good, but I just prefer to run through the other episodes, since they are there, and are more fun with greater variety. Though I'd much rather run through episode one of Doom II than any episode of UDoom.

As far as my favorite, It has to be "Military Base." It's quite a blast on UV pistol start; with such lovely architecture.