Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Magicana

Into the Base

Posted (edited)

Hey everyone, just putting up my second .wad here.

Into the Base.zip

(Doom2.wad required to play. Tested in ZDoom, GZDoom and PR/GLBoom+ - Worked just fine, GZDoom did some funny things to a couple of textured linedefs. Crashed Chocolate so I presume it's not vanilla compatible in some way, but nothing intentional).

I took a lot of feedback from the first map I uploaded, so here is a techbase/starport map to show off the things I've learned/improved on. There is still a lot to improve on, but slowly getting there!

To address the main points:

Rooms were previously too square - They have now been turned into rectangles where possible.

Ugly texturing - Texturing is more eclectic, but should be more pleasing. Far greater variety of flats/ceilings, and attention was paid to ensuring that everything aligned (But I probably still missed a few).

Monster difficulty: Placement and monster selection was previously too cruel. Spidermastermind that was in charge of this has been fired and replaced by the Cyberdemon. Monster placement and selection is far gentler this time.

Lighting is now more consistently used, and changed.

D_Runnin has been replaced by a less grating music track.

Hopefully this map is nicer to play than my last one!

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210415.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210426.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210433.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210452.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210517.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210525.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210605.png

Screenshot_Doom_20190628_210633.png

I've completed your map on UV in 7.03 minutes, with 96% kills, 74% items and 50% secrets.

The map was a medium sozed techbase and is consteucted around a central hub with 3 paths, each of one leading to a key.

Starting with the visuals:

there was a good level of detail in the map. You were able to tell to the player where he is, the next step is to make your environment to tell the player a story (for example a nukage pool with a broken pipe on the side, a half-open door that cannot be open so the player has to find another way, some damage here and there...). Try to give the player the opportunity to understand what happened in your map with your detail.

Also try to make some ceiling detail as weel (a simple hole, some height variation, some lamos that are not textures, so that you can add some light). There was a poor light work (try to lower the light of a room, then make 3 or 4 circles one inside of the other and then light them properly with the one in the centre with the higher light and a proportional value as you progress to the outside. You will have a really nice looking light point, and your room will no longer be unnaturally bright).

Thing placement:

It seems that you have understood quite well how to use monsters. I have nothing to say here. The red room with the pinkies is a perfect example of how to use 2 weak monsters to put the player in a dangerous situation (I'm talking about the initial ambush).

Also the end is well designed. Those three pinkies are not here to hurt the player, they are here to force the player back right into the shotgunner. Very well designed.

Good job in repopulating the hub with the two platforms every time that I took a key.

I've found the RL secret useless, 2-3 medkits are far more useful in that situation.

General design:

it was a linear map with an hub, with some minor interconnection between the first zones. I liked how you can reach the armor from 2 different paths (maybe the lift one is a little bit harder than the other) and also the fact that the platforms in the red room where all connected.

I never felt lost and this is a really good thing (at least for me).

Very good map, I enjoyed it a lot.

On 6/29/2019 at 2:20 AM, Simomarchi said:

I've completed your map on UV in 7.03 minutes, with 96% kills, 74% items and 50% secrets.

The map was a medium sozed techbase and is consteucted around a central hub with 3 paths, each of one leading to a key.

Starting with the visuals:

there was a good level of detail in the map. You were able to tell to the player where he is, the next step is to make your environment to tell the player a story (for example a nukage pool with a broken pipe on the side, a half-open door that cannot be open so the player has to find another way, some damage here and there...). Try to give the player the opportunity to understand what happened in your map with your detail.

Also try to make some ceiling detail as weel (a simple hole, some height variation, some lamos that are not textures, so that you can add some light). There was a poor light work (try to lower the light of a room, then make 3 or 4 circles one inside of the other and then light them properly with the one in the centre with the higher light and a proportional value as you progress to the outside. You will have a really nice looking light point, and your room will no longer be unnaturally bright).

Thing placement:

It seems that you have understood quite well how to use monsters. I have nothing to say here. The red room with the pinkies is a perfect example of how to use 2 weak monsters to put the player in a dangerous situation (I'm talking about the initial ambush).

Also the end is well designed. Those three pinkies are not here to hurt the player, they are here to force the player back right into the shotgunner. Very well designed.

Good job in repopulating the hub with the two platforms every time that I took a key.

I've found the RL secret useless, 2-3 medkits are far more useful in that situation.

General design:

it was a linear map with an hub, with some minor interconnection between the first zones. I liked how you can reach the armor from 2 different paths (maybe the lift one is a little bit harder than the other) and also the fact that the platforms in the red room where all connected.

I never felt lost and this is a really good thing (at least for me).

Very good map, I enjoyed it a lot.

Thanks for the playthrough! Definitely something I've noticed (And has been pointed out) is my use of ceiling textures, especially lights, needs work. I really like the ideas you gave above though - Both aesthetically and light design wise that would be really helpful. I also like the idea of environmental story telling!

Posted (edited)

I played through your first map, so I was happy to see you made another one! 

This map was infinitely better than your first map. For one, it's actually fun (I'm sorry I couldn't help myself). The rooms were varied and well balanced. I liked the room with the red key a lot. I liked how I felt like I was going to be lost by the fact that there was a hub and you had to find the keys yourself, but in reality I knew exactly where to go and never felt like I was walking in circles. It's a nice incorporation of a little hub. I also liked that enemies would teleport into the hub whenever you grabbed a key. I also think detail-wise the map was a huge step up. It felt more like an id style level and less like... your first level. The only gripe I had was that I felt some of the floor height variations (namely the first room and the room with the shotgunners surrounding the ascending pyramid) were a bit steep. I think it would look nicer if they weren't as steep. Another tip I'd give you is to follow one of Romero's rules, which is to change the floor height when you change the floor texture. There are a lot of people who break this rule in a way that looks nice, but for someone who is new to mapping I'd follow it. Other than those two "complaints", great job! I'm sorry I harped on your first map. I promise I'm not that big of a jerk. I will definitely play your third map when it comes out!

EDIT: Despite my critiques, I will add that you are already a better techbase mapper than I am. I struggle with techbase maps. I have a hard time coming up with details. I much prefer making maps in Hell.

Posted (edited)

I completed "Into the Base" on my second attempt on HMP skill with 95% kills and 50% secrets found. This map is really fun to play, and I will play it again!

Positives:

+ monsters repopulated the areas - I had to keep looking behind to make sure nothing snuck up on me.

+ a nice balance of health packs and ammo

+ had a good time playing it

Good work!

Spoiler

beast_into_the_base_endscreen_hmp.png.d5cf5ec37b4b515e9c75ac9a00312331.png

@Magicana_Into_the_Base_beast_demos.zip