Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Datacore85

Final Release ?

Are the textures of the latest Iwad version are finalized ?

I would like made some Pwads but i don't know if the textures will be retrocompatible with the actual release henceforward.

20 hours ago, Datacore85 said:

Are the textures of the latest Iwad version are finalized ?

What do you mean with finalized? That nothing will ever change?

Freedoom is an open project. Everything can be replaced at any time. Even textures that look great right now, could be replaced with even better ones in the future.

But Freedoom will always try to be Doom-PWAD compatible. If your PWADs work with Doom, they should work with Freedoom. The only incompatibilities I've noticed so far are some levels were certain parts of switches are used to make smaller switches. If you stay away from things like that, you should be fine.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:11 AM, luckypunk said:

I made a Wad for the last freedoom - phase 2 version and my map is not 100% compatible with doom2.wad and with the old freedoom 2 version.

freeDoom2.png

Doom2.png

Oldfreedoom2.png

19 hours ago, Datacore85 said:

I made a Wad for the last freedoom - phase 2 version and my map is not 100% compatible with doom2.wad and with the old freedoom 2 version.

The Phase 2 IWAD contains the extra textures from the Final Doom IWADs so if you make maps with the Phase 2 texture set they might be not compatible with any of the original commercial IWADs. The earlier releases of the Phase 2 IWAD contained placeholders for some of the Final Doom textures (e.g. the plain texture that says tnt in your screenshot), I'm not sure if they have all been replaced with original work by now.

There are also extra textures from the Aquatex set which can be used in Freed∞m but obviously not found in any official IWADs.

To sum up, you can expect the textures to be updated and/or added to both Phases, so if you want to make a map that is Doom compatible you need to take care not to use any textures that are specific to Final Doom IWADs and/or the Freed∞m project. Or, you could just add the missing textures from Freed∞m's set to your PWADs (since they're freely redistributable) to make them Doom-compatible. I'm sure there must be some reference on which textures belong to each of the Final Doom IWADs but I can't find the specifics ATM.

Speaking on texturing though, might someone ever think of sprucing up the textures for the Techno spider and maybe the Combat Cheese Blob?
Because apart from the perspective of the sprite's fire and fatal explosions seeming off from the game's own normal explosions a little, the death frames seem a little off too.

I don't know if Freedoom will ever get a final release...

After all, it has been in the works for, like, 18 years! That's a long time.

On 7/1/2019 at 1:11 AM, luckypunk said:

Everything can be replaced at any time. Even textures that look great right now, could be replaced with even better ones in the future.

And yet, no new version has come out since 2017.

That's not even close to the longest gap between Freedoom versions lol. 

A new version will come out when the devs think enough changes or additions have been made- and finished- to do so. 

On 7/11/2019 at 6:08 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

And yet, no new version has come out since 2017.

You should download automated nightly builds, these have the most up-to-date stuff.

The fact that there have been no new "official" releases doesn't mean there's nothing going on on the development side.