Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Austinado

(***Currently not available*** ) Give me your WADs - I WILL PLAY AND RECORD THEM.

On 10/21/2019 at 8:46 PM, Austinado said:

LTE

BY @LordMagic

Download Here

We have two maps in this WAD, simple, and little fun action in both of them. The first map is interesting in a meaning of trying to escape the pit and all surronding monsters. Ammo/Health is well combined, and its good retro nostalgia here with no major difficulty to give you hearth attack. Textures are ok for the time, no much of details here to mention.

The second map. i warned that was unfinshed project, i did it by request of the mapper and yes, work should be done here. The pit rising its good, the open door behind let an oppening to manage in a easy way what is coming from down there. At the end of the map, i saw i had too much monsters left behind so i turned back and the secrest are mandatory to find a kind of "secret" area where the remaining monsters are. Didn´t had enough health to explre it since there is 10% of damage on the lava and no rad suit near by. Yes there is some minor boxes of health on the path, but not enough to keep on going. Clearly unfinished.

Final Remarks:

- Time to pick up thoses "babies" back and finish them!!

- Thanks for the request!

-----//-----

Hey! Thanks for this! I think you underestimated the level of finish though: there WAS a radiation suit there and the -10% health lava was a message to the player to NOT try and cross without looking for the radiation suit... I was biting my nails waiting for you to find it - and I thought you had it there when you went on map mode... but I'll let you in on the secret: maybe you still have a saved file and want to give it a try :P

image.png.3896040451a8d7fdca59e4e756dce6e9.png

Edited by LordMagic

On 10/21/2019 at 8:59 PM, Austinado said:

CRABBO

BY @LordMagic

Download Here

Map created in 1997/98, its a small map with minor flaws, the thing here is that monster placement is not very good. There is no element of surprise, the door opens and we have monsters to kill. Traps are essencial for me in a Doom map. Lets keep in mind that this was made 22 years and everything was a beggining in mapping.

Final Remarks:

- Its never fun to shotgun a Baron...i also did that mistake, more than once.

- minor flaws...nukage dont harm (dont always have to), blue door not signed.

- I liked the switches lifts connections with the map.

- There is no element of surprise.

- 22 years ago...goddamn we are getting old arent we?

-----//-----

As always, very grateful for the playtest and the insights given on the level design. Traps were not a forte of mine yet (this being older than the other two) and was fiddling more with puzzle design and I'm glad that got noticed and appreciated. I remember (well I recall now that I see you play) being quite happy with the sole demon running right at you in front of the rest of the gang as you open that door - easily dealt with but still, it gave teenage me a level of satisfaction with the visual effect. You're tempting me a lot to start again, and I might try my hand at an interactive narrative with Doom (???) as in multiple possible endings depending on which path you take (and blocks off the other paths you did not take). Might not go down with the ones who want to hit all the monsters, but we'll see ;)

Thanks again

Ok, so looks like I have some 22 years of mapping skills to catch up on: would you recommend a particular level that exemplifies modern mapping on vanilla Doom 2?

48 minutes ago, LordMagic said:

Ok, so looks like I have some 22 years of mapping skills to catch up on: would you recommend a particular level that exemplifies modern mapping on vanilla Doom 2?

Good places to start:

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/ksutra (Don't let the name put you off, only map30 is a "Joke" level)

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/megawads/scythe

https://www.doomworld.com/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/megawads/scythe2

Some of these may need a limit removing port (Original doom has visual limits which are exceeded pretty quickly in most wads).

VILE

BY @kknot5889

Download Here

We got a first map from this mapper, and an ambitious one.

I started to record the video, but there was an update, and by request of the mapper, i started from the beggining.

Remarks and final thoughts:

- First of all congratulations for your first map.

- Like i said...pretty ambitious for a first map, but a nice job for a first map as well.

- The player can get scared with the numerous monsters he is against off...nearly 600 monsters its no joke.

- Some areas are pretty wide, it was good to use long rage shooting monsters in those, but entering a room full of monsters, go and save yourself the best way, can be a little bit messy.

- Ammo and Health balance were done correcty! Never craved much for ammo, and health was well granted (Radsuits as well).

- Maybe for a next time reduce the number of monsters in 60 % and area of map in 50%. When it gets tooo long...it gets tooo long. You got the point.

- The lights should had had a better care...its not awfull, but could be much better.

- Though there is an update to fix linedefs...i have found some flaws that were not fixed (textures and linedefs). I entered an area with 3 arch-viles and then i was teleported back..well i dont really know what happened there.

- Various textures choices can make the map feel a little bit weird...sometimes its better to go with a themed choice...and simply stick to it.

- The final fight, there is a way out without killing the big horned beast and the two archies fellows...and so i did.

- I had fun with this map, there is some smart traps behing you, teleporting monsters...a lot of killing and a good exploration of map.

- Though is too big for a map, for a first map, what a nice job you have done here! Congratulation for a second time here.

- Thank you for the request!

-----//-----

@Austinado

Thanks so much for the playthrough! It was very entertaining. I do have to ask what port you are using? The few HOM effects you experienced don't come up in my GZDoom and not in any of the other videos sent to me. 

Screenshot_Doom_20191023_182350.png.40a46308c75a0aa6d05debaec50edeb5.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191023_182440.png.61dd0368978acd689f38e98e12f698af.png

Also, the one section in the first large room where you said you liked the ceiling isn't meant to look like that.

Screenshot_Doom_20191023_182238.png.ae97a3d94f215c546ef225620a34032f.png

I raised the ceiling of that sector up pretty high and then didn't texture the sides so the light levels from the torch wouldn't show on the ceiling. For some reason, that effect didn't work on your end. Sorry about that! Also, in the Archvile hallway the sky is wrong. When you turn around and face the direction you came from, the sky changes to the Archvile face texture and then back to the sky when you keep going forward. That didn't work for you and you instead got large walls behind the switch and teleporter. Very weird.

It is a very long map, yes. I didn't plan it like that! Definitely not ideal for a first map, I know. 

As to the outdoor Archvile area:

Spoiler

It played exactly as it's supposed to. You run to grab the soulsphere, silent teleport into the Archvile room. With no cover and nowhere behind you, you're forced to run outside. You are then silently teleported onto the platform with the third Archvile. As soon as you run off that platform you're silently teleported back to the original outdoor area. Sometimes the flames of their attack even follows you. Between that, the disappearing Archvile in the room with the switch for the red key, and the Archvile hallway, it's all meant to be building to the final fight.

So yea. Thanks again for taking the time to play the map. I'm definitely planning my next maps to be smaller, I assure you!

28 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

@Austinado

Thanks so much for the playthrough! It was very entertaining. I do have to ask what port you are using? The few HOM effects you experienced don't come up in my GZDoom and not in any of the other videos sent to me. 

@kknot5889

I use GZDoom as well...maybe there is something wrong with my configuration.

23 minutes ago, kknot5889 said:

@Austinado

Screenshot_Doom_20191023_182350.png.40a46308c75a0aa6d05debaec50edeb5.png

Screenshot_Doom_20191023_182440.png.61dd0368978acd689f38e98e12f698af.png

Also, the one section in the first large room where you said you liked the ceiling isn't meant to look like that.

Screenshot_Doom_20191023_182238.png.ae97a3d94f215c546ef225620a34032f.png

I raised the ceiling of that sector up pretty high and then didn't texture the sides so the light levels from the torch wouldn't show on the ceiling. For some reason, that effect didn't work on your end. Sorry about that! Also, in the Archvile hallway the sky is wrong. When you turn around and face the direction you came from, the sky changes to the Archvile face texture and then back to the sky when you keep going forward. That didn't work for you and you instead got large walls behind the switch and teleporter. Very weird.

It is a very long map, yes. I didn't plan it like that! Definitely not ideal for a first map, I know. 

As to the outdoor Archvile area:

Hide contents

It played exactly as it's supposed to. You run to grab the soulsphere, silent teleport into the Archvile room. With no cover and nowhere behind you, you're forced to run outside. You are then silently teleported onto the platform with the third Archvile. As soon as you run off that platform you're silently teleported back to the original outdoor area. Sometimes the flames of their attack even follows you. Between that, the disappearing Archvile in the room with the switch for the red key, and the Archvile hallway, it's all meant to be building to the final fight.

So yea. Thanks again for taking the time to play the map. I'm definitely planning my next maps to be smaller, I assure you!

With Boom/Udmf you can use a dummy sector and transfer the brightness level to the ceiling. Your method is the vanilla method and it works fine.

2 minutes ago, Austinado said:

@kknot5889

I use GZDoom as well...maybe there is something wrong with my configuration.

Well that's weird. The GZDoom I test with is stock just so I know everything will work right out of the box. 

3 minutes ago, Magicana said:

With Boom/Udmf you can use a dummy sector and transfer the brightness level to the ceiling. Your method is the vanilla method and it works fine.

Haven't gotten that far yet! I'm planning on using GZDoom Builder for my next map to test it out and I'm hoping to mess around with dummy sectors and the like. Figured for one spot I'd just use the vanilla method. That's such a neat work around. I really enjoying learning the quirks of this engine.

SMITE THE UNHOLLY

REFINERY

SOLACE OF SOLSTICE

RELENTLESS DECAY (2 maps)

BY @JBerg

Webpage to download these WADs

We have a set of nice maps here.

Though they are not big in size, we find fun time with these maps. Sometimes simplicity is good, when the careness with monster placement and texture details are suficient. Of course these maps are not running for an award or something, it looks like they where done like an hobby...but they were done correctly.

It makes me itchy when i get the feeling that a mapper can do more...so much more, and in this case, i am scratching myself off.

Well, i understand the time can not be much (by the professional job the mapper haves)...but i can only appeal as so: "Do it big...give us big."

My favorite of them all, i must say Relentless Decay.

Final Remarks:

- The mapper should think about my appeal.

-----//-----

BREACH

BY @Rapp0ng

Download Here

Its a first map, and man, what a job we have here. The number of monsters almost gets to 600, we have about three diferent areas, alot of exploring, alot of killing and alot of fun! Sure did enjoy this one!

Final Remarks:

- First of all, congratulation for your first map!

- Second of all, congratulations for the final release!

- 1 month to build this up, man you had alot of work!

- Though there is some misallignments, impressive job on the design, the "mountains" or "cliffs"  (ill call them that way) were pretty cool, the lights in the corridors were cool as well! So much to explore...i just keep thinking that this gave alot of work!

- 500 and so monsters can scare you a little bit, but when you get into to the map...this just naturally goes.

- The final fight was not "hard" enough but it was very cool getting to that final sector, i call it "Leap of faith!".

- Dont feel pressure for your next project...well maybe you should! This was a nice first one...

- Must congratulate you once again..amazing job here. Everything felt well balanced and fair. Nice job!

-----//-----

8 hours ago, kknot5889 said:

Well that's weird. The GZDoom I test with is stock just so I know everything will work right out of the box. 

Haven't gotten that far yet! I'm planning on using GZDoom Builder for my next map to test it out and I'm hoping to mess around with dummy sectors and the like. Figured for one spot I'd just use the vanilla method. That's such a neat work around. I really enjoying learning the quirks of this engine.

It's pretty simple, and a lot faster (Once you know what you're doing - Always the long bit) than the vanilla method. I'll show you how I did it in my last map:

Dummy sectors are at the top of the map - Set the sector to the requisite brightness and assign a tag. Linedef with action 261, or whatever the equivalent action is in udmf (It may be easier - I don't know, I haven't mapped in it). Tag the sectors that you want to adjust the ceiling brightness for.

img%5D

In Doombuilder, it looks like this:

La332g8.png

Then in-game it looks like this:

G76tOCd.png

Easy.

I'll stop derailing Austinado's thread now :)

2 hours ago, Magicana said:

@Magicana

No problem by all means!!

Feel free to do it so, everybody appreciates explanations and clarifications about anything related to editing and mapping.

Cheers!

2 hours ago, Magicana said:

It's pretty simple, and a lot faster (Once you know what you're doing - Always the long bit) than the vanilla method. I'll show you how I did it in my last map:

Reveal hidden contents

Dummy sectors are at the top of the map - Set the sector to the requisite brightness and assign a tag. Linedef with action 261, or whatever the equivalent action is in udmf (It may be easier - I don't know, I haven't mapped in it). Tag the sectors that you want to adjust the ceiling brightness for.

img%5D

In Doombuilder, it looks like this:

La332g8.png

Then in-game it looks like this:

G76tOCd.png

Easy.

That definitely seems better. Thanks for the thorough explanation. Very excited to learn GZDB.

@Austinado

Thanks very much for playing my map! Glad you enjoyed it.

I agree with the map being too large. It is the general consensus that space needs to be reduced.

That will be the plan for the next map. Much tighter and level time being around the 10-15 mins mark.

12 hours ago, Austinado said:

We have a set of nice maps here.

Though they are not big in size, we find fun time with these maps. Sometimes simplicity is good, when the careness with monster placement and texture details are suficient. Of course these maps are not running for an award or something, it looks like they where done like an hobby...but they were done correctly.

It makes me itchy when i get the feeling that a mapper can do more...so much more, and in this case, i am scratching myself off.

Well, i understand the time can not be much (by the professional job the mapper haves)...but i can only appeal as so: "Do it big...give us big."

My favorite of them all, i must say Relentless Decay.

Thanks for the kind words but yeah, time is bit of a scarcity these days with my newborn + my daytime job. I am planning on ramping up my efforts though because modern games aren't cutting it for me anymore so yeah, I guess I'll get more time from not playing those :P

Out of the 4 wads you played, 2 were speedmaps, which tend to be simpler (Solace of Solstice and Smite the Unholy). They're part of the Joy of Mapping 5 and 6 respectively).

TOXIC CONTAINMENT

BY @NaturalTvventy

Download Here

We have a good one here.

Not much too say in bad points for this map, maybe the dark areas where the chaingunners or shotgunners are, its not very fair, yet quite passable. The map tooked me more time than it should, probably because i thought that the blue skull switch was mandatory with a blue key. I got decieved there. That room with all goodies that i have not reached probably comes in sequence with a secret// area with the BFG as well. The smartness to get the yellow key is cool and custom monsters and custom weapon was a very pleasant touch. Its a solid map and i would play it anytime.

Thank you very much for the request and waiting for more!

-----//-----

Hey there, I'd very much appreciate feedback on my first map. It takes roughly 20 minutes to complete, and the second half is pretty much a slaughtermap. I'd recommend GZDoom for the best experience, saving between fights, and maybe try HMP instead of UV if you're not into slaughtermaps.

60 SECRETS - MAP05

BY @nicolas monti

Download Here

"...Monti Style...."

I hear myself saying this phrase outloud when i play the maps of this mapper. It is indeed a good thing. The mapper is leaving a mark in my point of view.

Another enjoyable map here...and wanting for more to come.

Final Remarks:

- For the first time, this map from this WAD, reminded me MASS EXTINCTION. No, its not a bad thing, but the mapper have to be carefull to try to separate "one" from the "other"...yet, maybe its because of the "monti stlyle" feeling.

- Man did i struggled with health, yet, its 60 secrets, 10 per map, and because i have found only 3 out of 10, i probably missed some "goodies".

-  Monti´s maps can be a damn struggle sometimes, in this case i dont think is tooooo hard, the real struggle here like i said, was health...monster placement for me, was done very correctly.

- I enjoy the "smalness" of the map, and the "smartness" of the mapper.

-----//-----

CYBERBARON LAND

BY @rabidrage

Download Here

"This mod/wad combo uses a modified BJD20 where you only get the Chainsaw. You can't use other weapons or pick up ammo for them."

Well actually i got through all this map only with a chainsaw.

Played this in 100% damage, and did not get any ammo...though i caught the shotgun and the chaingun, i did not had any ammo left by the monsters or in the map. Maybe its because of difficulty choice? I dont know...

Not gonna say i did not enjoy the map/mod, i did.

The thing was, i had always "fire in my ass" trying to reach the end of the map, collecting powerups to survive till the end and chainsawing at the same time.

Its a cool thing to play this in brutal doom, and that was the only thing that kept me going till the end. I missed the ammo...and would enjoyed more if i had it.

Custom monsters are good, challenging. The music...i supose Iron Maiden? Hummm...i think it was ok, but not the best for a "hellish" environment. Overall, it was a nice experience, and surelly a diferent thing.

Thanks for the request!

-----//-----

@Austinado

Thank you for playing and recording my wad!  You probably noticed that fancy architecture is really not my strong suit, but I appreciate that it didn't seem to bother you.  Those patterns of moving squares were one attempt to mitigate the simplicity of my map.  But obviously you appreciated the gameplay trick for what it was.  If I were to allow other weapons, I'd probably take out the Invulnerability Spheres so it's not too much of a cakewalk.

One thing your playthrough showed me was that I didn't do enough to accommodate people who want 100% kills.  I designed the level as a survive and race to the end kind of deal--fast, tough and gory.  But I realize not everybody wants to play that way.

Thanks again for the playthrough.  It was fun to watch and I'm glad you liked the level.  It's pretty thrilling to have it on Youtube.

P.S. the song is Chainsaw Charlie by W.A.S.P.