Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Austinado

(***Currently not available*** ) Give me your WADs - I WILL PLAY AND RECORD THEM.

6 hours ago, Austinado said:

TECHTONIC HABITAT

By @Magicana

Download Here

So here we have another map from this mapper, that is very interesting. 

I like the type of design and i think there is an improvement about the choice of textures. The traps are nice, sometimes you think there is no escape because of the space, but there is always a way. The thing about dark areas and me...well, we are not very friendly one to another, in this case i think that there is more than it should. Its about balance of player/monster, for instance, it can be a son of a bitch if you are caught in a trap..but next time, you can study a better way...in this case...you cant see the monster...so they have "the higher ground". Yes they are weak monsters...ok...but its not very fair they see you and you cant see them. I got myself waiting for them to appear so i could shoot them.

In my opinion it breaks a little bit the pace. There was one time...they would not stop coming..imps and shotgunners...imps and shotgunners...Health was a little bit of an issue too...Dark areas + shotgunners = you will loose some health.  You could give a little more...

Final remarks:

- Yeah you can say "Well just get out of there and reach them...!", i could...but i know there is no much stimpacks or medkits in the area.

- Not a bad map at all, i enjoyed it...like i said, nice textures improvement, you never stop shooting monsters and some creative light/dark balance. For me the only thing that could be better is the things i wrote above.

- You keep up the nice job you are doing ;) 

-----//-----

Thanks for the play through :).

It wasn't intended to be so restricted on health, or to be so dark!

My play-throughs looked liked this:

Screenshot_Doom_20190808_170015.png.0df4ff3b8ca3b39cbddd3b84beb8eb5a.png

So it's dark, but with a lot of visibility still. I think my GZDoom brightness is set too high.

The reason it felt like the monsters just kept coming without end was somewhat deliberate - I didn't want it to be quite the imp slaughter that it turned out to be, but grabbing the blue key opens up a lot of traps. Basically I was trying to stop the player from just grabbing it and running. Monsters open up either side, in the original area (Which the player has to go back to) and in the corridor with the blue key.

image.png.add63aac2bedb94d96e1598fe211880a.png

I'm glad you liked the final area - I felt it was my weakest, but I did like the tight use of space.

If you're wondering how I did the raising floor, I just used this trigger (It's in Boom format, but I think even Vanilla Doom has a version of this).

image.png.fd0d4e318e29ef9ff363dce94fd1841e.png

@Austinado - I'm assuming, by how long you've had Scourge in the queue, that you're struggling with it. Feel free to drop it from the list. It's mostly pretty crude and makes heavy use of jumping.

14 minutes ago, Phobus said:

@Austinado - I'm assuming, by how long you've had Scourge in the queue, that you're struggling with it. Feel free to drop it from the list. It's mostly pretty crude and makes heavy use of jumping.

Because its a megawad, im giving priority to single and smaller maps...

Tell me, crouch, jumping, overlook alowed?

Jumping is mandatory, crouching wasn't in ZDoom when I made it, so probably best to avoid using it in case it allows sequence breaking...

As far as I'm concerned, free look is down to the player, so I'll never recommend against it. Also, there's no music specified in the MAPINFO, so that may be sticking point.

Hi, could you play my second map?
The second map, you can play, selecting the episode "inferno city"

This is the wad :  I recommend selecting this difficulty; "I'm too young to die". crouch, jumping, overlook allowed

MASS EXTINCTION 

MAP11/12/13/14

By @nicolas monti

Download here

So, we have a few maps from this mapper. Its nice to see the following maps (because i have played previous ones) , and have some recording. Since they are four, i will generalize my comments here. In the overall i enjoy this mapper and his ideas for the maps.

Map 11 is a map that i love and hate...because i have spent to much time to realize here to go and what to do...(i had to record map 11 twice =S )

Map 12 /13 are good "nicolas monti" maps...not to much to say about that....

But 14, i have to say it, because i am honest....disapointed and i did not completed. Disapointed because of the final fight...its easy to give all those 7 cybers...some Cells..soulspheres and here you go player...i expexted a little bit more than that...im sorry @nicolas monti, but this is my honest opinion...

Thanks for the request...more comments in the video.

-----//-----

5 hours ago, Austinado said:

MASS EXTINCTION 

MAP11/12/13/14

By @nicolas monti

Download here

So, we have a few maps from this mapper. Its nice to see the following maps (because i have played previous ones) , and have some recording. Since they are four, i will generalize my comments here. In the overall i enjoy this mapper and his ideas for the maps.

Map 11 is a map that i love and hate...because i have spent to much time to realize here to go and what to do...(i had to record map 11 twice =S )

Map 12 /13 are good "nicolas monti" maps...not to much to say about that....

But 14, i have to say it, because i am honest....disapointed and i did not completed. Disapointed because of the final fight...its easy to give all those 7 cybers...some Cells..soulspheres and here you go player...i expexted a little bit more than that...im sorry @nicolas monti, but this is my honest opinion...

Thanks for the request...more comments in the video.

-----//-----

Thanks man, I'll watch your videos tomorrow, I like you to be honest, that's what I need, and because of that, I'm now thinking about a better and more interesting way for that final fight :) we'll see on the next version.

A few years ago I made a few maps for Doom. Even longer time ago I made one level for Half-life. Recently, a bit by accident, I found a video on youtube with someone playing my Half-life map and it was really really cool for me to watch someone playing a level I created! So I did some googling and found a video with someone playing my Doom map (Arsenic) - it was also really fun to watch! Even though the map was quite basic it seemed that the player had fun playing it, which made me fell good :) And this inspired me to maybe go back to editing and create another WAD for Doom. But in the meantime I haven't found anyone playing my WAD I've put most effort into - "Mine filled with methane", so I thought, well, maybe you could have a go at it? It's a classic map, relatively large but no slaughterfest, it's pretty non-linear too. It would be really great to see how someone approaches it as it has a few ways to complete. Also, I would really appreciate feedback, I know the map is below the level of most modern maps, but I would be really grateful to hear what is ok and what could be better, and whether attempting to make another map makes sense :) Thanks!

Queue updated...my next two days off are going to be interesting... 

Thanks for the requests!

AFTERDOOM - MAP02

BY @00_Zombie_00

So, i got this request, and God Damn, i loved this map.

Its not usual for me to experience something like this, but i supose because i am kind of "new" in these kind of stuff, maybe its not so rare...

I get this map, where i have all the buddies on my side, a TON of monsters to kill, and a lovely mapset, design, quality of textures (at least in my opinion). 

It tooked me 1H07 to finish it, but believe me, after you start minute01, time flies away from you...and you just get it done. Yeah, take your time, enjoy the view (overlook allowed) explore on your free will the area (jumping allowed) and have fun killing some monsters (and custom monsters). Dont get smart pants about difficulty...the mapper advises you for IM TOO YOUNG TO DIE....and im glad i have done that.

This amazed me, mostly because i cant imagine how many of this kind of mappers exists out there, but dont fool yourself, this is no amateur...

Should i call this a nice job? Naaa...ill say What a hell of a Job!

-----//-----

99% kills, great slaughter! very well played, you did not give up when it got difficult, I appreciate it. Your battle against cyberdemons was very intense, it is a pleasure to watch this gameplay. I have noticed that I should make some arrangements to better guide the player. The area of the red key skull, is very difficult, I will remove the revenants of that area. I thank you for your effort, I'm glad you like the map, thanks.

9 hours ago, 00_Zombie_00 said:

99% kills, great slaughter! very well played, you did not give up when it got difficult, I appreciate it. Your battle against cyberdemons was very intense, it is a pleasure to watch this gameplay. I have noticed that I should make some arrangements to better guide the player. The area of the red key skull, is very difficult, I will remove the revenants of that area. I thank you for your effort, I'm glad you like the map, thanks.

I have nothing to complaint about monster placement to be honest!

BLOOD BASE

By @xxWeNxx

Download here

So, this is a small map, pretty small indeed. Did not said its a bad map...just small. At a certain point of the map i think i said "I dont know if this is a first map"...because i thought it was too small.

Yeah..its a third. I have searched my list..and i have played the previous one from this mapper (Nukage Tech). And now, because im honest...with everyone...im a little disapointed...just because, i believe you can do, so much more. I hope to see a larger map, with the same ambition i saw in Nukage Tech.

-----//-----

HELL PORT 66

By @WolfBlue

Download here

So, this a first map. Welcome to a new world of madness where you can do whatever you want to  create  ====B U T ====  there is a process to do it.

Its not pretty hard but not pretty simple as well. Maps can be simple and beautifull, maps can be complex and beautifull...

Because this is a first wad/map i suggest you to watch the video till the end.

Final remarks:

- Study your maps with examples of other mappers (videos/tutorials);

- Study monster placement, know your monsters and characteristics;

- Study textures, alignments...

- If someone gives you advices, experiment them...your opinion will built up on your own.

- Take your time...and test yourself alot your map...imagine if you were the player next door trying your WAD.

- Finally, never give up and Congrats for your first map!

-----//-----

Edited by Austinado

A PARTY DOWNSTAIRS

By @JudgeDeadd

Download here

So this is a great one.

I really enjoyed this map, specially the monster placement. Dont get me wrong, i had lots of fun, it was challenging, loved the design and just made me wanting to go further and further. 

Im curious if this mapper already done a megawad...dont have to 32...i would like to see one with 10 or 12 maps...

Thanks for the request, more comments in the video.

-----//-----

1 hour ago, Austinado said:

HELL PORT 66

By @WolfBlue

Download here

So, this a first map. Welcome to a new world of madness where you can do whatever you want to  create  ====B U T ====  there is a process to do it.

Its not pretty hard but not pretty simple as well. Maps can be simple and beautifull, maps can be complex and beautifull...

Because this is a first wad/map i suggest you to watch the video till the end.

Final remarks:

- Study your maps with examples of other mappers (videos/tutorials);

- Study monster placement, know your monsters and characteristics;

- Study textures, alignments...

- If someone gives you advices, experiment them...your opinion will built up on your own.

- Take your time...and test yourself alot your map...imagine if you were the player next door trying your WAD.

- Finally, never give up and Congrats for your first map!

-----//-----

I hate this map now, I made it so lazily and the worst part is I had feelings in the pit of my stomach that some stuff in it is wrong or bad and I should change it but I ignored those feelings and assumed no one would notice, well now I know people will absolutely notice

The big door that goes no where and takes you out of the map in the pinky blood room no idea why that happened it shouldn't I didn't make that wall a door and also that little room with the megasphere I did fix so its not a damage sector no idea why its damaging you perhaps it's your source port or something? or something might of screwed up with the release wad.

The hell knights in the cages I thought would be clever and might catch a player and kill them if they weren't paying attention but obviously players are gonna just kill them so that was a fail.

I was conflicted with the super shotgun room I wanted to reward players with a gun that is necessary for the big second room and the big open demon room but if you trigger all the gunners in the second room and close the door and wait they'll sort themselves out and I gave the player a rocket launcher for the big open demon arena and the secret texture is far too obvious so another fail on my end.

Waiting for gunners and demons to infight and thin out their numbers is not a fun piece of gameplay I have learned lol

People have said I gave out too much ammo so I'll keep that in mind

The switches that activate things in completely different parts of the map are obnoxious and I'll stop doing it in future wads and I'd defiantly agree you should be able to tell what a switch does visually or at the least audibly.

I could of sworn I made the lift switch a repeatable action but clearly I screwed up

I thought I was being clever with secrets but I was either way too obvious like the misaligned texture for ssg and plasma gun or way too obtuse like the green torch that you shoot to get a soulsphere, I will have to find a healthy middle ground for secrets between the 2.

Thanks for the tip for surprise spawning enemies!.

For some reason I could not align floor textures they just would not budge and when I researched it apparently you cant realign floor and ceiling textures for the format I was using for some reason

The yellow door room is simply embarrassing and I really wanted the level done so I lazily rushed out this room and it sucks as a consequence

I was trying to be clever with the lighting on the switch in the yellow door, if you pay close attention you'll see the lighting around the pillar in the second room of the map and the lighting around the switch in the yellow door room is the same brightness and lighting effect but no one noticed and its way too obtuse and sucks bad

3 spider masterminds spawn because there are three lines around the switch all of which have code to spawn a SM at that spot so that should of been one long line to spawn one 

The cyberdemon in the end room was cheesy as all hell but it seems to be the only part of the wad anyone has difficulty with so maybe its not necessarily a bad inclusion? if you're feeling lucky you can run past it

Overall it's an embarrassing POS map that is mediocre at best that I lazily put together and I thought I was being more clever than I actually am with it and should of put more time and effort into but it is a first map and I'm glad I made it because I've started so many creative processes like music or game dev in general that I start maybe even get 70% finished then loose motivation and give up on the project so I'm glad I just made the map completed it put it out there for better or for worst and it was a great learning experience and my next wad will probably be the exact opposite of this wad

Thank you for taking the time to record and commentate my wad and give me criticism!

@WolfBlue, you listen to me man. You dont have to be embarrassed about anything here!

Look, its your first WAD, and its a start! Im a mapper over not even a year...im working in my 5th WAD...i will take all the time i need to  try to make it decent.

Do you think my last 4 WADS were masterpieces? Not even close of a good WADS they were...but i have embrace the criticism..and try to do it better.

Like i said when i posted your video, its a learning process...you some starting tips? Learn from one of the creators :

The learning process is a road that if you have the passion/patience you will be getting there. Like i wrote...watch tutorials, watch playtesters (we have alot of them here in the forum) playing WADs (because you learn alot from them...i know i did and im still learning everyday!), and in the forum you ask your doubts about anything you have in editing. Members will help you out. 

Even yourself, Play WADs...with maps from others you can get ideas and learn as so.

A challenge for you man...you take your first map again, and try to improve it with some of the advises...why not? Ill be here to playtest it once again if you want me too. 

Dont give up.

I've finally finished watching the whole playthrough of Ozonia, and it was amazing!

Thanks a lot for it and some suggestions, I also took some notes of places that can be improved, to make navigation easier and calibrate the difficulty (easier in some parts of map 1 and 2, and harder in others pontual places).

Again, thanks a lot!

Now it's time for me to work on the next levels! :D

MINE FILLED WITH METHANE

By @jacnowak

Download here

So, this one, i liked it, but it gets a certain point of the map, that you are a little bit tired of progress  ( tasks to do) trough the map.

Dont get me wrong, i lenjoyed the map, had fun. It was release in 2013 (if im not mistaken) but today is very playable, reminding the old SchoolDoom gamplay. At first i thought, 276 monster was quite balanced, but because the map is quite "taks to do" in order to get the keys, at a certain time i was like...."hummm..i could finish this already...is about time". I did not get the rocket launcher, got sad about that, but im not much for the secrets to get my weapons...i had a alot of rockets...no rocket launcher...PlasmaGun was my savior.

In general,  a very nice map with a retro touch...the final fight was fine and the SpiderMasterMind...just bait to spend ammo...i didn't bite it ;)

What i enjoyed the most:

- Monster Placement;

- The traps...loved the one with the imps below the megasphere.

Thanks for the request.

-----//------

Thank you for playing, it was awesome to see you play! :) Particularly 6 years after making the map!

I see that the map has a flaw with the rocket launcher :( It looks that you weren't the first person who missed it, it shows that playtesting by other people is really important. Rocket launcher is accessible at the very beginning of the map (in the first cave where you see it in the center) and it's not even marked as a secret! I think the main misconception I had is that people always play ZDoom with free look enabled. There is a narrow ledge which leads to a switch which creates a bridge to the island where rocket launcher is. I didn't realise that without freelook this ledge is not visible at all! I completely didn't take into account that the player will not grab the RL. I'm impressed that you completed the map without it :) I'm afraid that might not be possible on UV though... And I think, as you mentioned in your video, this resulted in long play time and decreased the fun - I could see that you got a bit frustrated near the end - I agree that shooting barons with a shotgun is not fun. Also near the end of the map, in the cave with BFG in the center, there was another "lack of free look" issue. You took an elevator that got you very high up and you didn't know where to go. You were supposed to look down, see the island with the BFG and "jump" (not using real jumping, just running) straight onto it :) (that one was marked as a secret, but only because that whole area was optional and it served only as a way to get the BFG - you were so close! ;) I need to take this freelook aspect into account when designing maps, it's true that freelook isn't default to Doom and I should have playtested the level without it.

Thanks a lot for your feedback and time spent on the map - I'm really happy you enjoyed the map, even despite the rocket launcher issue. I will update the map to make the path to the rocket launcher evident. Also, your video inspired me to return to mapping, it's really motivating! Maybe you will still be around when I make a new map, I will send it your way for playtesting if you don't mind :)

Hello, i hope im still around and im glad you are starting once again mapping! Like i said, i enjoyed the map and thanks for the request. Feel free to send your work whenever you want!

Cheers

On 8/12/2019 at 10:26 AM, WolfBlue said:

I hate this map now, I made it so lazily and the worst part is I had feelings in the pit of my stomach that some stuff in it is wrong or bad and I should change it but I ignored those feelings and assumed no one would notice, well now I know people will absolutely notice

The big door that goes no where and takes you out of the map in the pinky blood room no idea why that happened it shouldn't I didn't make that wall a door and also that little room with the megasphere I did fix so its not a damage sector no idea why its damaging you perhaps it's your source port or something? or something might of screwed up with the release wad.

The hell knights in the cages I thought would be clever and might catch a player and kill them if they weren't paying attention but obviously players are gonna just kill them so that was a fail.

I was conflicted with the super shotgun room I wanted to reward players with a gun that is necessary for the big second room and the big open demon room but if you trigger all the gunners in the second room and close the door and wait they'll sort themselves out and I gave the player a rocket launcher for the big open demon arena and the secret texture is far too obvious so another fail on my end.

Waiting for gunners and demons to infight and thin out their numbers is not a fun piece of gameplay I have learned lol

People have said I gave out too much ammo so I'll keep that in mind

The switches that activate things in completely different parts of the map are obnoxious and I'll stop doing it in future wads and I'd defiantly agree you should be able to tell what a switch does visually or at the least audibly.

I could of sworn I made the lift switch a repeatable action but clearly I screwed up

I thought I was being clever with secrets but I was either way too obvious like the misaligned texture for ssg and plasma gun or way too obtuse like the green torch that you shoot to get a soulsphere, I will have to find a healthy middle ground for secrets between the 2.

Thanks for the tip for surprise spawning enemies!.

For some reason I could not align floor textures they just would not budge and when I researched it apparently you cant realign floor and ceiling textures for the format I was using for some reason

The yellow door room is simply embarrassing and I really wanted the level done so I lazily rushed out this room and it sucks as a consequence

I was trying to be clever with the lighting on the switch in the yellow door, if you pay close attention you'll see the lighting around the pillar in the second room of the map and the lighting around the switch in the yellow door room is the same brightness and lighting effect but no one noticed and its way too obtuse and sucks bad

3 spider masterminds spawn because there are three lines around the switch all of which have code to spawn a SM at that spot so that should of been one long line to spawn one 

The cyberdemon in the end room was cheesy as all hell but it seems to be the only part of the wad anyone has difficulty with so maybe its not necessarily a bad inclusion? if you're feeling lucky you can run past it

Overall it's an embarrassing POS map that is mediocre at best that I lazily put together and I thought I was being more clever than I actually am with it and should of put more time and effort into but it is a first map and I'm glad I made it because I've started so many creative processes like music or game dev in general that I start maybe even get 70% finished then loose motivation and give up on the project so I'm glad I just made the map completed it put it out there for better or for worst and it was a great learning experience and my next wad will probably be the exact opposite of this wad

Thank you for taking the time to record and commentate my wad and give me criticism!

Anyone who doesn't hate their first map is doing something wrong. I know when I put mine out, I thought it was the best thing I could do. I got a ton of feedback. As long as you take it on board, and do your best to improve, the map was worth it.

MMDCXIV - Journey into 27 Century

By @Zanieon

Visit here

Visually a beautifull WAD...who ever follows or visit my post here, i would like to invite you to see this recording/playtest by @Suitepee :

Time 1:16:10

-----//-----

On 8/12/2019 at 12:54 AM, Austinado said:

A PARTY DOWNSTAIRS

By @JudgeDeadd

Download here

So this is a great one.

I really enjoyed this map, specially the monster placement. Dont get me wrong, i had lots of fun, it was challenging, loved the design and just made me wanting to go further and further. 

Im curious if this mapper already done a megawad...dont have to 32...i would like to see one with 10 or 12 maps...

Thanks for the request, more comments in the video.

Thanks a lot for the review. Glad you liked it.

Personally I feel I've overdone it a little with the monster count and the pacing of the fights, but I'm rather proud of the visuals.

As for the megawad... Who knows... There's a mapping event coming up in October...