July, 2019

OfEdYQX.png

> Download Vanguard
> Download Lunatic
> NaZa's unofficial leader board

Leaderboards:

Spoiler

Standard

1. [2] Survived [1:38:58] Bdubzzz - 2018 was a middling season for Dubz. In 2019, he resurfaces a force to be reckoned with.
  2. [2] 14 levels Keaton - Superstructure revenants give Keaton a haircut. Welcome to Ironman! Strong debut.
  3. [2] 14 levels NaZa - Starved of blueberry juice by a flying, spiky fruit in the Rocket Zone. Passed the familiar Vanguard with flying colours!
  4. [1] 14 levels antares031 - I'm not sure who performed better blind, here: antares or the cyberdemon that killed him. Blur spheres, eh?
  5. [2] 14 levels Beginner - I'm glad I'm not the only one who bottled it in this part of the Rocket Zone.
  6. [2] 13 levels Scotty - Mancubus parks some fireballs where the sun don't shine.
  7. [2] 12 levels Anima Zero - ANIMA! Got unmade in the Asmodean chaos and again by a zombie in the Rocket Zone.
  8. [2] 11 levels Alfonzo - A cautious and methodical yet flawed performance, capped off with bad movement when it mattered most.
  9. [2] 10 levels SSGmaster - Hungry spectre gets the chocolates. This Punchline is pulling in a few.
  10. [2] 09 levels Ancalagon - The best damage rolls with all the filling. (DNF)
  11. [1] 09 levels ReaperAA - Collected a faulty BFG unit in The Forgotten Village, no doubt placed there by The Demons. Survived Lunatic!
  12. [1] 08 levels xvertigox - vertigo must have forgotten how to swing his fists after his visit to the Forgotten Village.
  13. [2] 08 levels NoisyVelvet - Completely RANSACKED by sergeants in the Punchline. Then, was ransacked by PrBoom+ ayyy. (DNF)
  14. [2] 07 levels seed - The Vanguard seed wasn't placed in a cool, dark place, but the other one grew like a Lunatic! *gun fingers*
  15. [2] 06 levels dt_ - Some curious voodoo magic going on in the Forgotten Village, here.
  16. [2] 06 levels Rook - Rook's number was up in The Final Countdown. Fairly brazen attack on an arch-vile in Vanguard, too. Yikes.
  17. [2] 06 levels Loud Silence - Loud Silence screams for all Eternity. Quietly.
  18. [2] 05 levels Spie812 - Caught some serious hang time in the Hangman's Paradise hehe :)
  19. [1] 04 levels Catpho - Marco the Mancubus was deeply hurt that you tried to use him to hide from the arch-vile's line of sight, Catpho :(
  20. [1] 02 levels JudgeDeadd - Overwrote his Vanguard demo; was left clutching his SSG when the knightly walls closed in.

Prepared

1. -
  2. -
  3. -
  4. -
  5. -
  6. -
  7. -
  8. -
  9. -
  10. -

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag below for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

In July, 2019, after three whole years of dying spectacularly, it's hard to believe we haven't stumbled into a @skillsaw and split. That changes today with Vanguard & Lunatic, -complevel 9 (Boom (strict)): two boom power packs that put Paul on the map in 2011 (his other solo release in that year, Hanging Gardens, wasn't half bad either) and set a course for Doom stardom. If Sigil was a weird and wonderful flash of panic, these two challenging but surmountable offerings will present as a welcome familiarity to the everyday player.

...But as recent discussions have revealed to us, great familiarity begets great expectations. It's out of the frying pan and into the fire. Try not to die now, ye hear?

Essential Info

• Doom 2 as the IWAD selected.
  • Compatibility level 9, or "(Boom (strict))" for ZDoom derivative ports.
  • Using the Combo format for ranking. This means one life per set and they may be played in any order. The total time taken and maps completed are combined.
  • 17 levels total (MAP13 of Vanguard is not counted)
  • Death exits on Vanguard MAP05, MAP10, MAP12.
prboom-plus -file lunatic -complevel 9 -warp -skill 4 -record dwironman...
Spoiler

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:

• To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of plays that are strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.

• UV only (excepting 1CC format). No pistol-starting.

• Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 

• No additional WADs may be loaded.

• No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.

• No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.

• If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on MAP01 of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.

• You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.

• You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.

• You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.

• If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.

• Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.

• If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
    2. This is not a blind run. I have played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
    3. This is not a blind run. I have watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous Threads

Jenesis (winner: Demon of the Well)
Crusades (winner: Ribbiks)
Nilla Doom (winner: Demon of the Well)
Khorus' Speedy Shit (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Perdition's Gate (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
UAC Ultra (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Jade Earth (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Legacy of Heroes (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Back to Saturn X E1 (winner: dew)
Mapgame (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Vae Victus 1 & 2 (winner: Demon of the Well)
Disturbia (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Insertion (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Unholy Realms (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Osiris (winner: Demon of the Well)
End Game & End Point (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Oscillation (winner: Ancalagon)
Doom The Way id Did (winner: kmc)

Combat Shock 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Coffee Break (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Warlock's Hearth (winner: Demon of the Well)
50 Monsters (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Double Impact (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Rush (winner: WH-Wilou84)
The Darkening E1 & E2 (winner: Veinen)
The Plutonia Experiment (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Interstellar Sickness & Shaman's Device (winner: leodoom85)
Doom 64 for Doom 2 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
TNT: Renascence & Resistance (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Ultimate Doom The Way id Did (winner: Bloodite Krypto)

Hellfire: Dreams (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Fomalhaut (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Stardate 20X6 (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
Base Ganymede: Complete (winner: Bloodite Krypto)
SIGIL (winner: leodoom85)

Edited by Alfonzo : I am an update

Well shit, this is going to be another Cat 2 it seems, I've already played both.

I've managed to survive Lunatic saveless until the final map back when I first played it, and Vanguard... no idea but not until I was close to the end me thinks.

Time to place the bets boys, that I will do a worse job than when I played both the first time and both runs will suck :p.

Upheaval! Experimentation! Civil unrest!

Calm down, everyone, you'll still get to smash your melon on a curb somewhere and upload the footage, so be merry and rejoice! Summary of changes:

1. There are now two leader boards/competitions. You can either perform:
    1. A standard run, or
    2. A prepared run, or
    3. A standard run followed by a prepared run.
  2. The boards are defined as:
    • Standard, for first-attempt, no-prep runs — cat 1 and cat 2 (you will still need to affix a number).
    • Prepared, for prep runs — the old cat 3.
  3. With cat 3 getting its own pen to play in, "[3]" is now freed up to indicate something I've always wanted to single out: runs that are conducted after the player has watched a demo, stream or video. Check the revised rule set. Previously, watching runs this way would put you in the prepared camp and as such made "[3]" a poor indicator. This change firmly eliminates all the distinct familiarity blind spots that were still in play without expanding to a fourth category.
  4. Each month will now list two winners, one for each board.

I'm very hopeful that this is the model into which we'll finally settle. There may be adjustments down the line or even fun features added (medals, titles, finals etc.) for example, but for now we're going to slow it down and play it cool.

As always, feedback is appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Alfonzo : 4th item

Bloody hell. I know Vanguard fairly well, in the IronEagle competition I got to MAP11 and I played it beforehand too. Still, I'm certain I'll find a way for MAP03 to punish me.

As for Lunatic, never... 

I have never played either (even though I had been planning to play both of them for a while)

I've read these threads with interest before, but I've never submitted an entry (although I nearly did with The Darkening last year). As Vanguard is my favourite WAD, I may have to give this a go even though I'm already sweating at the thought of one or two threats in MAP03, let alone MAP10...

So, does someone who plays through as a cat 1, and then does a re run as a cat 3 have both runs scored, and in doing so rank higher than someone who prepared privately and then ran a singular cat 3?

Well, I'm familiar with Vanguard, like Naza mentioned with the ironeagle session (hoping not to die again stupidly in map 05) and I never saw Lunatic...ever.

PS: now we have to double the stakes with our demos AAAAAAAAA

Edited by leodoom85

17 minutes ago, dt_ said:

So, does someone who plays through as a cat 1, and then does a re run as a cat 3 have both runs scored, and in doing so rank higher than someone who prepared privately and then ran a singular cat 3?

I see it as a separate board for both instead of having the boards merged for a place....*thinking*

1 hour ago, dt_ said:

does someone who plays through as a cat 1, and then does a re run as a cat 3 have both runs scored, and in doing so rank higher than someone who prepared privately and then ran a singular cat 3?

The two submissions cannot be cumulative as they belong to different competitions. The first run competes with other first runs by other players, which can either be cat 1 or cat 2 as we know them and listed as such (as they have been). It is then completely up to you to continue playing as practice for a run at the Prepared leaderboard, which is just the old cat 3. It is impossible for a submitted first run, practice or otherwise, to not place on the Standard leaderboard.

Two separate competitions, two separate winners.

If the wording is poor I'll rearrange it.

Edited by Alfonzo : clarification

1 hour ago, leodoom85 said:

(hoping not to die again stupidly in map 05)

It makes me glad that I am not the only one who has stupidly died on map 5 :).

Demo: vanguarddemo.zip (Category 1)

Used: Glboom+ 2.5.1.7um (complevel 9)

Dead on Map05 (reached map 5 at around 37 to 40 minute mark)

How I died in a stupid way:

Spoiler

For some dumb reason after I picked up a BFG, my fire button did not work(did not register) against the 2 viles that spawned right after. And thus they brought my otherwise decent 100+ health down to zero :(.

I will record Lunatic soon.

RIP bfg hopes...

@Alfonzothe new rules are clear to me that doesn't need a wording rearrange imo :)

Up to the player now to play it blind or prepared or both, which is fine.

Just now, leodoom85 said:

RIP bfg hopes...

It was probably just my mouse that decided to screw me.

VANGUARD

vanguarda.png.47d8b8bd04d7b1636a6aa5c22f8b5c47.png

SCORE: Survived (died on MAP13 but it doesn't count)

CATEGORY: 2. In fact, ironically the only three times I've played this set I've tried to ironman it - first when I was casually ironmanning TNS picks (shameful MAP06 death), then for Ironeagle (start of MAP11), and now.

TIME TAKEN: 2:08:13

SATISFIED? As with all of my other July performances, yes.

I am so exhausted after this. The maps I feared the most were MAP03 and everything after MAP08. A hair-rising moment on MAP09 when two cyberdemons below me blocked me from progressing and I relied on BFG tracers to kill them from above. I had not anticipated MAP10 to not be too difficult, I remembered it was much tougher. (still far from easy!) Another hair-rising moment at MAP12 when I had 6 HP after a sudden surround by the revenants. Nevertheless, super satisfied... hopefully I can have a good Lunatic run too tomorrow. No more power today.

Oh yeah, also, MAP11 is one of the best maps I've played. Music is kickass.

dwironman_jul19v_naza.zip

EDIT: For those of you interested in my leaderboard, I'll just be putting Standard results on it. Somebody else might want to take over the Prepared leaderboard. I can do some work, but ehh...

Edited by NaZa

I have played Vanguard's first two levels for IronEagle. This time i was familiar with first level and partially familiar with second. Died to stupid crusher in blind level 3. I'll do Lunatic now, it will be completely cat 1, so it should not take long. Latest Eternity devbuild.

rimvan.7z

Could it be...

Could a noob like ReaperAA actually survive a mapset? And that too blind?

Spoiler

YES!!!!! It is possible. I survived Lunatic

Demo: lunaticdemo.zip (category 1)

Completed at around 1:02:00

How I felt about the levels:

Spoiler

The first 4 levels weren't so bad. They had their tricky moments, but none so overwhelming. It also kinda helped that I had already played other Skillsaw wads (Valiant and Ancient Aliens) which prepared me to deal with the Skillsaw's shenanigans.

Map 5 on the other hand took me off guard. It was a full onslaught. At one point I had dropped to below 20% health while half of enemies were still alive and I wasn't able to find a megasphere. I honestly don't know how I managed to survive. But it feels good :)

Vanguard info (from my previous post):

7 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Demo: vanguarddemo.zip (Category 1)

Dead on Map05 (reached map 5 at around 37 to 40 minute mark)

5 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

Could it be...

Could a noob like ReaperAA actually survive a mapset? And that too blind?

Hide contents

YES!!!!! It is possible. I survived Lunatic

Demo: lunaticdemo.zip (category 1)

Completed at around 1:02:00

How I felt about the levels:

Reveal hidden contents

The first 4 levels weren't so bad. They had their tricky moments, but none so overwhelming. It also kinda helped that I had already played other Skillsaw wads (Valiant and Ancient Aliens) which prepared me to deal with the Skillsaw's shenanigans.

Map 5 on the other hand took me off guard. It was a full onslaught. At one point I had dropped to below 20% health while half of enemies were still alive and I wasn't able to find a megasphere. I honestly don't know how I managed to survive. But it feels good :)

Vanguard info (from my previous post):

Not bad at all fam :).

But otherwise yeah, not going to pretend that I will not be seriously depressed when I'm going to die in Lunatic now. Let's face it, I'm never going to survive anything here, I had a chance in Plutonia and I died on the freakin' Soul Bridge. It will be a familiar run, and I will STILL die. Unfuckingbelievable.

I should retire me thinks.

6 minutes ago, seed said:

But otherwise yeah, not going to pretend that I will not be seriously depressed when I'm going to die in Lunatic now. Let's face it, I'm never going to survive anything here, I had a chance in Plutonia and I died on the freakin' Soul Bridge. It will be a familiar run, and I will STILL die. Unfuckingbelievable.

To be honest, I would probably die on plutonia too. There are certain maps in it where I struggle badly. And in case of Lunatic, it was a miracle that I managed to survive Map 5 as I was pretty screwed at one point.

Also u could do another run (a Cat 3 run) in case u die on the first attempt.

9 minutes ago, ReaperAA said:

To be honest, I would probably die on plutonia too. There are certain maps in it where I struggle badly. And in case of Lunatic, it was a miracle that I managed to survive Map 5 as I was pretty screwed at one point.

Also u could do another run (a Cat 3 run) in case u die on the first attempt.

After all the stuff I've played so far, and will continue to play, dying in the IWADs is unforgivable, especially due to stupid mistakes, I have absolutely zero tolerance for my own BS. And after the first death I will most definitely not want to touch it again, only to die once more. And then again, and again, and again, and again. And yet again. I estimate my death somewhere on MAP02 or 3, to a stupid trap. Yes, if it's not easy and a stupid trap, it isn't me.

Fuck's sake I could finish E4M2 of TFC on UV -fast from a pistol start and I will die here with continuous play, just what the fuck is wrong with me. I would probably cry, if I was capable of showing emotions...

tl;dr *self-loathing intensifies*

Lunatic - completely blind, Cat 1. Died in last level. Damn, i had fun!!!!! It was rushy, surprising and fresh for me. I will play this mapset many times. Eternity latest devbuild.

rimlun.7z

LUNATIC

SCORE: Dead on MAP03.

CATEGORY: 1

TIME TAKEN: 13:01

SATISFIED? Yes, actually. The moment I saw a custom enemy I knew I won't get far. I always dislike the disruption of normal Doom balance.

Yes - basically, I dislike sets with custom monsters, end of story. I can't adapt to the new balance quickly enough. The fat guy is okay, but the skinny guy is a douchebag. 

To my defense, it's 10 PM in the evening, and some ten local 12-year old girls decided to have a bitch fight and argument in front of my house (I'm sitting next to an open window because it's smoking hot), so their yelling somewhat compromised my hearing abilities. Still, those are excuses, and the truth is I just couldn't adapt.

Total maps survived - 14/17, which isn't even too bad, in my opinion.

dwironman_jul19l_naza.zip

Edited by NaZa

3 hours ago, skillsaw said:

Just as a heads up to all who participate - the death exits on Vanguard MAP05, MAP10, and MAP12 are ridiculously janky and slow. Take care not to press anything when you die, or you'll get reset to the beginning of the map.

That can be a problem if some unfortunate, raging player do press a button out of agitation XD

Category 2 - I have played Vanguard multiple times and even with -fast monsters so its safe to say I know the maps very well... Lunatic on the other hand I only played 1 time before.

Survived VanGuard in 1:10:52

Survived Lunatic in 28:06

Total time: 1:38:58

DWironman-July-Dubz.zip

Cat 2.

Vanguard: Dead Map06

Lunatic: DNF Map04 (prboom+ sound was cutting out.  I decided to save and reload to try to fix it. instead of quitting prboom+, it just crashed instead and ate the last chunk of demo, so the whole save/reload feature of boom-cl9 kinda shat the bed.)

8 Maps total

Demo: noisy_Vanguard_Lunatic.zip

My cat1 runs for both sets. Going to submit cat3 at a later date.

Ram ranched in Vanguard on map06 with 10 monsters killed - demo

Slapped silly in Lunatic on map04 with 159 monsters killed - demo

Spoiler

....Didn't expect being back here so quickly. Heh.

Cat 1 of Vanguard. Yeah shame me for not playing both until now :P. Switched it up to be more aggressive, but kicked the bucket on 03 because AVs makes me have sweaty palms (and, hey, Valiant prequel!). 

Brb playing more

dwironmancatvanjul19.zip