Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Foebane72

Duke Nukem 3D 20th Anniversary World Tour KEEPS CRASHING on map load

I bought this game this morning but have had nothing but problems with it since.

I installed it, but when I ran it, it said it was installing something else and then the screen went white and froze, and then went black when I did the Task Manager to try and close it. I couldn't get out of the blank screen, no matter what, so I was forced to restart the PC.

Now, when I start Duke, the game starts up OK, but freezes when I go to load a level.

My PC is relatively new, an Intel Core i3 8100 with UHD 630 graphics ONLY, and 8Gb RAM and a 250Gb SSD.

What is the problem, do you think?

The game or some required files (such as Microsoft C++ Redistributables, which should be automatically installed upon a first-time launch) likely did not install properly, since you restarted the PC without the rest of the installation finishing (I don't know why it would have froze, though).

Use eduke32, but make sure the required redist are also in place.

Yes, I know you might want to run that port but honestly World Tour is a rush job riddled with bugs, you'll have a better experience playing DN3D with eduke32.

I personally never ran into problems with World Tour... OP, are your drivers up-to-date?

I found a solution of sorts: My problem was I was running it in FULLscreen, when I needed to run it WINDOWED. That cleared up this problem right away!

I've yet to find out if the game is buggy, but now I can run it, with audio, I like the fact I can play any map I like on any episode. Cool!

54 minutes ago, seed said:

Use eduke32, but make sure the required redist are also in place.

Yes, I know you might want to run that port but honestly World Tour is a rush job riddled with bugs, you'll have a better experience playing DN3D with eduke32.

I tried EDuke32, and I had NO experience at all!

Not only was it fiddly to set up and felt like a Windows XP app, but it said the GAME.CON file was corrupt or something, and when I finally got into the menu and selected a map, it just wouldn't start, and just took me back to the map select screen, again and again. I figured they'd altered the main data files or something, so it wouldn't work.

57 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

£3? Not much of a loss, as it was on special offer. Besides, GGManLives recommended it.

Yeah, but I too was scammed. I've since learned that Megaton Edition is a lot better, but they don't sell that anymore because of Gearbox. And I don't feel like pirating it either.

10 minutes ago, crazyflyingdonut said:

Yeah, but I too was scammed. I've since learned that Megaton Edition is a lot better, but they don't sell that anymore because of Gearbox. And I don't feel like pirating it either.

GmanLives praised 20th, but I've just now watched LGR's review of it, and he criticised a lot of it, mostly that the GRP file has been altered and no longer works with EDuke32 nor the original EXE.

I did have Megaton, but I felt that the multiple humorous reskins of the main characters and settings for winter and summer themes was demeaning, so I couldn't wait to be shot of it.

5 minutes ago, Foebane72 said:

GmanLives praised 20th, but I've just now watched LGR's review of it, and he criticised a lot of it, mostly that the GRP file has been altered and no longer works with EDuke32 nor the original EXE.

Let me tell you that LGR is a HUGE fan of Duke Nukem, idk about Gmanlives because I don't watch Gman's content, but LGR is probably the biggest Duke fan on the Internet. He does a great impression of Duke Nukem (some people believe that his impression of Duke Nukem is better than Jon St. John himself), he owns probably every Duke-related merchandise (in fact, he recently bought an EXTREMELY RARE knock-off of Duke Nukem called "Duke Screw'em 38D", this much I found out because he recently posted about it on Twitter), and often references Duke Nukem in his videos.

12 hours ago, Foebane72 said:

I found a solution of sorts: My problem was I was running it in FULLscreen, when I needed to run it WINDOWED. That cleared up this problem right away!

I've yet to find out if the game is buggy, but now I can run it, with audio, I like the fact I can play any map I like on any episode. Cool!

that's assed up, isn't it? I have issues with fullscreen mode all the time, even a game like Quake 2 puts the piss on my video card if it's set to start in fullscreen.

you have to set rules with your firewall not to interfere with your game executable, same thing with your antivirus exceptions settings. if you keep having issues with fullscreen start ups, try dxWnd and set it up a little, atleast as much for you to start the game and set it to start in windowed mode on the first run.

try creating a link to the executable and using the -window (or -w) variable at the end of the filepath (you set that through the link properties), it doesn't work with every game tho. also try changing the operating system compatibility option (see link properties, or exe properties).

I had an issue with fullscreen mode just today, and it was a game that didn't seem to have any kind of issues with fullscreen mode until today.

I've booted my pc 3-4 times because it wouldn't let me do a damn thing everytime the screen went black. you can try using the pc start button to force the pc in stand-by mode if it lets you, so you can reprise back your session and switch to the task manager as soon as your o/s kicks back in.

I've solved by messing with the o/s compatibility option, and I was lucky that time 'cause I've attempted all kinds of alternatives before that.

probably has lots to do with modern video card softwares/configurations... now whenever I use the fullscreen mode I'm going to make sure I always set it back to windowed before exiting the game. :\

Sounds like a lot of effort just to get fullscreen to work.

I'm using Intel UHD 630 Graphics as I don't have a graphics card, and the results have been OK for almost all my games on Steam, even Doom 2016 (which runs OK in 30fps+ in 960x540!). However, the two main issues I have with it are lack of Vsync (meaning a lot of tearing) and the fact that sometimes the sound on HDMI will cut out until I restart the game or restart the audio subsystem, or even change resolutions. DN3D20th was one of those games that started muted in Fullscreen and stayed that way.

"You play Doom that way?! Why not just get a graphics card!?!" The truth is, I can't afford one at the moment, not even second-hand. But I figure I'll have to get one if I want to have a look at Doom Eternal eventually. But which one? It's all too soon.

I was fortunate enough to get a free giveaway copy of Atomic Edition graciously given to me by a member over at the Duke4 forums.

Edited by Avoozl

You never did answer my question...

Edited by HavoX

On 7/2/2019 at 2:16 PM, crazyflyingdonut said:

Why is it better? I own the Megaton and I think Atomic Edition. Knowing GearBox, this version will end up being bundled.

6 minutes ago, geo said:

Why is it better? I own the Megaton and I think Atomic Edition. Knowing GearBox, this version will end up being bundled.

You own Megaton? I'm jealous of you! I wish I had it... I've read that Megaton edition has not only Duke Nukem 3D Episodes 1-4, but also, the expansion packs! I would love to have Megaton, but I don't think I'll ever get it...

I just looked. I guess I only own Megaton and not Atomic. Woops. Yes the expansion packs are here along with some terrible death match maps.

I'm still tempted to buy this World Tour Edition since it's so cheap. So many GearBox games get so cheap. In or out of bundles.

Then again, maybe I should just write a fan fiction of an alternate universe where iD / Bethesda bought out Duke Nukem instead of GearBox.

Isn't Atomic Edition just the version with episode 4? Or maybe it's just episode 4 by itself and you use it to patch the original GRP.

So, Megaton Edition IS Atomic Edition.

The now-discontinued commercial Episode 4 patch is called Plutonium PAK.

The game with Episode 4 already included is called Atomic Edition.

Megaton Edition includes the Atomic Edition and the 3 authorized expansion packs:  Duke it out in D.C., Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach, and Duke: Nuclear Winter.

Megaton Edition is definitely the way to go, IMO, although Nuclear Winter is very weak compared to Duke it out in DC and Life's a Beach. It also didn't get updated with the new episode that came in the 20th Anniversary World Tour. Am I missing much there?

1 hour ago, TheUltimateDoomer666 said:

and the 3 authorized expansion packs:  Duke it out in D.C., Duke Caribbean: Life's a Beach, and Duke: Nuclear Winter.

These are the reason I got rid of my older copy of DN3D on Steam: such ridiculous settings for games, and I didn't like the cheesy farcification of the eponymous villains by having them wear sunglasses and Bermuda shorts and the like, really embarrassing. It was like so many bad TCs for Doom, or something.