Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dexiaz

Question about DOS Doom 2 Map 30

Well.

When I was a kid I've played Doom 2 via original DOS executable. And on Map 30 my health points were passively reduced to zero. 1% per 2 seconds. Only in final area and no matter where are you standing. I've even tested it what will happen if health came to 1%. Well, I died. Without monster attacks. Standing on solid floor.

When I've launched Doom 2 via ZDoom (and other Sourceports lately), I've found that player doesn't get any passive damage. I was surprised. But I quickly stopped thinking about it.

And now, after so much years, I remembered this again. And I don't see any info on Wiki.

So, why is that? Is this a kinda bug or something? I'm sure that's somehow harcoded in DOS .exe, but not emulated in sourceports. But why?

This is honestly likely a false memory, as there's no special code to do this in the original Doom source. Maybe you're remembering the slime floor? If you were playing on ITYTD and had the megasphere from the entry room, the slime would passively do 1 damage every damage tick. I can't really scrape up any explanation here. I suppose a really bizarre memory corruption bug could have given every sector a slime special, but this seems exceedingly unlikely.

I agree with SaladBadger, you were probably standing on the slime floor and that memory has imprinted onto the rest of the map. There's no code for applying general passive damage to the player outside of damaging floors, and Doom 2 Map 30 has only ever featured the one damaging floor down at the bottom of the map.

Yeah, just tested it in DOS.

False memory. I was sure it happened not on slime floor, but looks like I was wrong.

(Maybe it was a memory corrupt like here, but I can't get proofs)

Anyway, thank you very much!

the only thing crazy I remember happening on map30 when I was a kid was monsters spawning outside the map area when i nocliped outside the map area

I remember back in the DOS days in E1M8, when I was dissatisfied with regular ending of you teleported in that dark room, I tried to idspispopd and walk outside of map way beyond the dark room. It seemed like a huge area beyond has the same effect, burn where you stand and end level if die, just like the room. That was weird and scary to me at the time, I just tested GZDoom and it's still here. But it's not sitting on a closed sector, wtf? Is this something with the blockmap or some other explanation?

3 hours ago, Optimus said:

Is this something with the blockmap or some other explanation?

Well, I can't say about technical reasons, but that's ok for Doom. Height difference, damaging floors - they're still affecting "outsides" of map.

It has to do with how the engine determines what sector a location belongs to.

It only traverses the BSP tree until it reaches a subsector, it never ever checks if the location is inside its actual bounds. Unless you noclip out of the map it isn't really necessary and would only have complicated this calculation for no real gain.

5 hours ago, Mystic 256 said:

the only thing crazy I remember happening on map30 when I was a kid was monsters spawning outside the map area when i nocliped outside the map area

This is a real thing! You aren't misremembering, it's this bug.