Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
chowbar

Changing soundfonts in Choco/Crispy on Ubuntu

Hey guys I've been experimenting with Linux by live booting a USB stick with Pop! OS (which is like 99% Ubuntu) and I've been pretty happy so far but I've been having trouble trying to change soundfonts in Choco/Crispy Doom. I'm not super crazy about the native midi music provided by Ubuntu so I was wondering how do I change the default Ubuntu midi to use Patch93's SC-55 soundfont? Do I need to sudo apt get timidity first and then change the soundfont? Sorry for the noob questions.

Posted (edited)

You don't need timidity anymore, SDL2_Mixer is built with fluidsynth support for rendering soundfonts. You just need to tell SDL2_Mixer which soundfont to use by setting the SDL_SOUNDFONTS environment variable, e.g. "export SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/soundfont".

7 hours ago, fabian said:

You just need to tell SDL2_Mixer which soundfont to use by setting the SDL_SOUNDFONTS environment variable, e.g. "export SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/soundfont".

Ah ok so do I punch in "export SDL_SOUNDFONTS=/path/to/soundfont" into the terminal or is it something I change in the cfg file?

Posted (edited)

Hey @fabian sorry to bug you again but I couldn't get the soundfont to change.

When I set the music to native midi in choco setup and punched in the export SDL_SOUNDFONT command, I still get the Ubuntu midi.

I did get a list of errors that looked like this

Spoiler

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.

fluidsynth: error: Unable to open file "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2"

fluidsynth: error: Couldn't load soundfont file

fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2"

fluidsynth: error: Unable to open file "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2"

fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2"

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible.

fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/TimGM6mb.sf2"

fluidsynth: error: Failed to load SoundFont "/usr/share/sounds/sf2/FluidR3_GM.sf2"

After downloading and placing TimGM6mb.sf2 and FluidR3_GM.sf2 into /usr/share/sounds/sf2 I just got the error message

fluidsynth: warning: Failed to pin the sample data to RAM; swapping is possible

But even after getting the two soundfonts, I still got the same Ubuntu midi support.

I am testing Chocolate Doom from a live USB, is that why I'm getting the fluidsynth error and cannot change the soundfont?

I download and compiled the latest Crispy Doom on Pop OS today and after setting the sound to native midi under Crispy Setup, I got game sounds but no music.

I did get an error that said "error loading midi: unrecognized audio format" and the export command didn't work either.

Sorry to bump but I'm at a loss here and I'd really like to switch to Linux once I get this doom midi stuff sorted out.