Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
FractalBeast

Using TES lore concepts on Doom (Eternal)

This topic is exactly what it says on the tin. I'm going to use some concepts in the deeper The Elder Scrolls lore to make sense of Doom.

So first up, we've got about three narrative continuities in Doom.

1. a. Doom 1; Doom 2; Doom 64
    b. TNT Evilution; Plutonia Experiment (is it canon if it's official but not made by the Doom team?)
  2. Doom 3; Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil
  3. Doom 2016; Doom Eternal

Now, you can smash your brains into a wall to make sense of it all on a linear timeline, but there's an easier path. The Elder Scrolls makes use of the Hindu concept of a kalpa. A kalpa is a period of billions of years in which a universe is created until it's end after which its destroyed and recreated (the actual Hindu meaning of kalpa is far more complex and fascinating, but I haven't got time for copypasting the whole wiki article). There are beings in the TES games that survived from previous kalpas. Now, imagine that something similar like a kalpa has taken place in Doom. Each narrative continuity can exist in it's own "bubble", but now we can put them all on a linear timeline.

If I had to have a say in how this kalpa-timeline worked, I'd say that everything started with Doom 3 and Resurrection of Evil. We then get the original Doom and its sequels. And finally, we get Doom 2016. My reasoning is that the Doom Marine in Doom 3 is far more human and less superhuman than the Doom Marine in Doom 1. That's why he's first.

vivec_chim.gif.083801f063d5d4efec3bcab7acb59c13.gif

The second TES concept I'd like to take a quick look at is the concept of CHIM. Basically, someone who achieves (some form of) CHIM realises they're part of a dream but still asserts their individuality, being given the ability to lucid dream and alter reality. More important for us on Doomworld here, is when someone is given some limited access to CHIM by the Elder Scrolls, like pretty much every hero in the TES games. When you pause Morrowind, Skyrim or Oblivion and chug a few health potions to survive, you're using (some capacity of) CHIM. Same goes for reloading your save after you die.

I believe this is what the Doom Slayer is. Some force that exists beyond the Doom Marines. And after two "kalpas" (perhaps more?) the Doom Slayer has amassed enough power to not just act as some supporting power/possessive force of the Doom Marine, but to manifest directly as the Doom Slayer.

Also, with this concept of the Doom Slayer as some timeline/savegame hopping multidimensional entity, those 1ups in Doom Eternal make a lot more sense. If the Doom Slayer can already hop back in time whenever it is destroyed, why not do it directly within the timeline where it was destroyed just a while ago?

I like this idea! It makes a lot of sense. I hope this is the case.

Posted (edited)

What if DOOM Slayer is a future version of the Doom Marine, who goes back in time to stop it by destroying the demon infested earth and mars bases with a massive argent defense canon on a isolated Deimos base, then teleports using a prototype slipgate technology the military was developing for interdimensional travel (quake lore tie-in) back into hell with intent to seal it forever, gets captured and sealed in sarcophagus, and eons later in the future or different parallel universe (at the beginning) the events of Doom 1/3 unfold all over again and the younger Doom Marine (who has yet to evolve into the doom Slayer) comes in to the scene in parallel on terrarformed science lab that is Phobos (hence the green mountains would explain bunny testing and daisy) while slayer is freed from the sarcophagus by Hayden on Mars, and as Hayden flees our Doom Marine is able to free the doom Slayer from Hayden's imprisonment and reveals himself to be one and the same just eons older and psychologically damaged from all the horrors he's encountered, so Slayer agrees to go back into hell forever (doom 64) to keep the demons at Bay and defeat the demon priests all whilst the younger doom marine goes back to Earth to "close the gate" and end the invasion once at for all (doom 2) and defeats Berturger, the colleague who betrays Hayden and kills him as he realized all too late what he had done? And what if these final events are what composes Eternal? 

And what if heretic and D'nur and the serpent riders (demon priests) were a prequel to Doom a millenia earlier, with the soul cube and crucible be relics used in a attempt to defeat the hordes at that time? The soul cube could even be made up of entrapped spirits of those who were powerful enough to stop the evil, but failed to do so, and the crucible a enchanted weapon that went sour or fell into the wrong hands. Maybe even the Doom Slayer appeared kind of like an 'army of darkness' type situation to try and aid this ancient civilization, who knows!

Whoa.... I think I just thought up a incredibly awesome story on a whim. 🤣

Edited by Buckshot

Posted (edited)

Could be.

Personally though, I hate the idea of alternate timelines or a lineage of "Doom Slayers," like "Links" from Zelda.

In Zelda's defense, it's been consistent with it at least, with only a handful of them featuring the player playing as the same "Link," such as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. For Doom to pull that now is well beyond retarded and is clearly just them making shit up to sell games. There's just no way around it. For Doom Eternal to launch and pull that kind of bullshit only weeks prior to Doom's 25th anniversary would be obnoxious. I would prefer it to have almost no story at all (like the original Doom games) over some Marvel universe, time traveling, interdimensional, magic-man-done-it (!), tie-in story explanation.

That said, as I see it, Doom Eternal can go in one of five ways, listed from worst explanation to best:

A) The Marvel universe, time traveling, interdimensional, magic-man-done-it (!) explanation from above. If it attempts this, Doom Eternal will be the "worst Doom game ever" as far as I'm concerned.

I love Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom, The Master Levels and Doom 64. I do not believe Doom 2016's advancements over the original games automatically make it a superior game. I like Doom 64 more, as-is, than Doom 2016. I like Doom 2016 more than Doom 3. However, I also like Doom 3 for what it is. The point is, I have an order in which I like them but it's close enough that if any of them had something I hated, it would seem like a shit Doom game compared to the others.

B) Doom Eternal reveals it has no connection at all to prior Doom games and it is actually a hard reboot. I'd prefer this over the above, even if it did not make much sense considering how Doom 2016 starts and how it's just assumed you're playing the "Doom Marine."

C) Doom Eternal reveals Doom, Doom 2, Final Doom and Doom 64 are canon, with the Doom Slayer being the same Doom Marine as the old games. Doom 64's Doom Marine vowed to remain in hell forever and ensure no demon would ever rise again, which is precisely what he did. The twist is, we learn time has no meaning in hell and by the time Doom 2016 begins, he's thousands of years old. In fact, he's so ancient that the UAC and Earth had both been destroyed and rebuilt, with him subsequently being forgotten, between Doom 64 and Doom Eternal. This immense passage of time combined with his hatred of demons, overuse of Berserk packs, PTSD and surrounding hell environment have all honed his demon killing prowess to the point he's come to be regarded as a demigod, despite actually still just being a normal human being when it really comes down to it.

Doom 3 is regarded as reboot and ignored. Everything else in Doom Eternal is new.

D) Same as above except Doom 3 is not ignored and the tablets from Doom 3 reference the original Doom Marine (or Doom Slayer). The UAC encountered in Doom 2016 is the same rebuilt UAC as in Doom 3, which have resumed their operations on Mars following Betruger's demise in RoE. I feel like this would explain the behavior of the UAC in Doom 2016. They're aware of the demons but continue on anyway. The "Argent Fracture" is the original (now closed) hell portal where you battled the Cyberdemon in Doom 3.

I prefer this personally because I'd like to see the new Doom envisioning move ever so slightly away from the comic book approach of Doom 2016 and toward the darker tone of Doom 3. In other words, I'd like it to be a modernized Ultimate Doom or Doom 64.

E) Same as 3 & 4 but includes parts of Quake 1 and Quake 3 as canon. The Khan Maykr is the same race as the Vadrigar from Quake 3. Following Doom 64 but prior to becoming trapped, the Doom Marine battled in the arena and was rewarded upgrades to his armor.

Everything is explained. Nothing new is introduced. Old concepts are expanded upon. This is my preferred option above all because: 1) Doom and Quake 1 have the same basic plot anyway; 2) It simplifies a Quake 1 reboot, and; 3) It allows them to officially make Quake a franchise focused on the Strogg.

Doom would feature demons and teleportation, with elements of Quake 1 merged into it. Quake 3 and Quake Champions should become their own IP and can exist without a plot, like Super Smash Bros. or something.

You made a big post, so I'll only reply to a bit of it.

13 hours ago, Vesperas_ said:

In Zelda's defense, it's been consistent with it at least, with only a handful of them featuring the player playing as the same "Link," such as Ocarina of Time and Majora's Mask. For Doom to pull that now is well beyond retarded and is clearly just them making shit up to sell games. There's just no way around it. For Doom Eternal to launch and pull that kind of bullshit only weeks prior to Doom's 25th anniversary would be obnoxious. I would prefer it to have almost no story at all (like the original Doom games) over some Marvel universe, time traveling, interdimensional, magic-man-done-it (!), tie-in story explanation.

I'm only vaguely aware of the story in the Zelda games (played it on the NES and SuperNintendo). Don't the Zelda games feature collapses and rebirths of the world over and over, or at least some cyclical universe, similar to the TES games (except the TES games all take place within the same era, whereas almost each Zelda game takes place in its own era)? Breath of the Wild being a rather unique one since it actually takes place between the collapse and rebirth of Hyrule, a post-apocalyptic inbetween.

Also, I really hope that if they integrate Quake 1 (elements) into Doom, they'll reboot the gameplay concepts of Quake 1 in a new IP, that's going hardcore on that Quake-ian low-enemy-count-arena-shooter gameplay with Lovecraftian horror... Scampering around in decrepit techno-crypts blasting ogres and beasts, while avoiding places where unkillable things from beyond prowl.