Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GoneAway

Beat Your Own Demos Month [July 4 - Aug 4]

Beat Your Own Demos Month [July 4 - Aug 4]

It's time for another demo month, but this time with a wholesome spin.

Instead of beating someone specific, the task is to beat your past self.

Look back on your doom history and see how far you've come by stomping your past achievements into the ground.

Bonus points if your original demo says in the comment that it is optimal!

Rules:

Post your demos to this thread, with text files, like any other demo submission.

Each run you beat must have been done by you, and it must be the standing record.

The goal is to beat runs from "back in the day" and not runs you did last week, but I'm not going to draw a hard line (newer players are welcome to pick runs that are more recent).

If your old demo had any relevant or humorous comment, please post it!

In each post, write the time you originally had as well.

Each run beaten earns you 1 point.

If the text file for the old run says that it was optimal (or otherwise contradicts your run in a significant way), 1 extra point!

Prize:

For the winner, I will make a pacifist reality TAS IL of your choosing (within reason). Examples: TNT 05PG 27

Standings:

Grazza         - 116
j4rio          - 110
4shockblast    -  43
Cyberdemon531  -  36
vdgg           -  28
Bob9001        -   8
elmle          -   5
JonaG          -   4
38_ViTa_38     -   3
kmc            -   2
SAV88          -   1
DuckReconMajor -   1
Vile           -   1
Krankdud       -   1
Aquasa         -   1
Ancalagon      -   1
tchkb          -   1
Revved         -   1
xit-vono       -   1
almostmatt1    -   1
Kraflab        -   1
MDmoneydog     -   1

Previous demos month thread: ancalagon

Edited by kraflab

Eviltech

Map 09 NoMo

Old Time: 1:16

New Time: 1:13

I remember thinking 1:16 was quite good, so that's a bit of a shock. The 1:13 itself is still quite lacking 😂

et09o113.zip

Don't think I'm eligible for this contest, but I might give one of mine a go 

I have two demos in DSDA. A Sunder Map02 UV-Speed from a few months ago that was slower than UV-Max, and my 2012 TAS Tyson of ORIGWAD that GuyNamedErick beat for real a couple years back. 

I feel like I can beat the TAS Tyson for real this month, but not GuyNamedErick's time, which is ok, I'm not competing for leaderboard or DSDA listing.

Plutonia

map 21 NoMo Glitchless

Old time: 0:32
New time: 0:30

note: i uploaded the 32 sec demo to the discord because i wouldnt disrespect bobs demo.

note #2: i just used the x instead of - because i didnt know it meant tas

i missed the rocket but it doesn't bother me since if i hadn't missed it i would have flown off the side and had to restart 

pl21glx3069.zip

Edited by MDmoneydog

I did my first demo less than 4 weeks ago so I can't really improve anything from "back in the day", but I'll get on this to the extent that I can :) I'm not bothered if you'd like to not count this one since an improvement of a 20 day old record is hardly the point of this thread, but I figured I'd contribute anyway. 

Eviternity Map 09 No Monsters 100% Secrets - evit09nomo100-159.zip
Old time was 2:02
New time is 1:59

Nvm, not allowed to play PepeHands

Edited by Sodo : Not according to the rules

"uh, I dunno, should I give it one?" by "butter_pat_head"

Map05 Nightmare! Pacifist in 0:12

Old time: 0:15. Any bonus points for claiming the megasphere was necessary back in 2003?

I tried to improve on my 0:12 in UV Pacifist, but was unable to.

6l05np12.zip

Sodo: please note one of the rules kraflab stated above:

Each run you beat must have been done by you, and it must be the standing record.

2 minutes ago, Grazza said:

"uh, I dunno, should I give it one?" by "butter_pat_head"

Map05 Nightmare! Pacifist in 0:12

Old time: 0:15. Any bonus points for claiming the megasphere was necessary back in 2003?

I tried to improve on my 0:12 in UV Pacifist, but was unable to.

6l05np12.zip

Sodo: please note one of the rules kraflab stated above:

Oh, my bad. I just read that it was "Beat Your Own Demos Month" and the task is to beat your past self.

Didn't read the rules.

This compitition is obviously based on honesty and fair play since I can complete a lot of easy maps deliberately slowly to beat them later (when such a competition happens again) and win it.

Grazza - "Any bonus points for claiming the megasphere was necessary"

Yes, that sounds like it's in the spirit of a bonus point!

Dimon12321 - "This compitition is obviously based on honesty and fair play"

The entire community is 🙂

welp

plutonia map 1 tyson 13:12

plutonia map 2 tyson 7:10

plutonia map 3 tyson 9:10

pl01-03t_j4.zip

Edited by j4rio

doomiiii.wad by nub_hat & dingdang

MAP09 UV Speed in 0:09 (9.83)

MAP13 Pacifist in 0:19 (19.86)

MAP15s Pacifist in 0:04 (4.97)

All three demos are 1 second improvements, the old runs were done in April 2019 and the descriptions were just the time's decimals. I just don't like to call my runs unbeatable or optimal, so that's quite a disadvantage here.

d409-983.zip

d413p019.zip

d415sp497.zip

Hell Revealed II MAP31 UV-Max in 7:39, PrBoom+ v2.5.1.5 -complevel 2

Old demo: 8:29 (-50s)

Stream highlight: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/448651031

Executed yolo strats mentioned in old demo's text file and rerouted BFG use to accommodate them.

h231-739.zip

Bigstair pacifist in 0:02.69 (prev time 0:19). My second improvement for this map, couldn't quite account for impse glides when I recorded my 0:19 in 2014, hence I did claim "possibly optimal". Not even sure that that's true for that time either, though. :D

bigsp269.zip

Edited by 4shockblast

Are we meant to be grinding these?

DEM.WAD by Donald E. Messer

Map10 UV Speed/Pacifist in 0:25

Old time: 0:30 (and not Pacifist) "The trickiest thing here was sorting out the route - the timing needs to be accurate with the raising/lowering platforms. 0:29 is obviously within reach." (me in 2004).

Yeah, I hadn't worked out what the mechanism really was (or realized it was akin to Doom2 map13). This is essentially a 7-second demo: the first 2 seconds matter, and so do the last 5, but the 18.6 seconds in between is basically mush.

de10p025.zip

2sectors by Various

Map07 UV Pacifist in 0:18

Old time: 0:29. Not much to say - an easy and obvious improvement. I suppose I just liked the idea of using the demon as a shield.

2s07p018.zip

The Lost Worlds by Equino-X

E1M8 UV Pacifist/Speed in 0:27

Old time: 0:45. Missed glide. "Sure," you think, "it was 2005, and glides weren't a thing." Except they were, and indeed I used a triple glide in another demo in the same pack. But this glide is easiest using a low-speed approach, and that wasn't worked out until April-July 2006 (by cack-handed).

equ8p027.zip

Icarus by TeamTNT

Map02 UV Stroller in 0:32 (FWIW it is also a UV Speed/Pacifist record, but only because no one has apparently bothered with that).

Old time: 0:43 (in 2006 I wrote: "Second exit. And it STILL SUCKS!"). The most interesting thing about the new demo is that I use a demon bite + wobble to send me over the exit line.

ic02s032.zip

I'm not sure if this last one is valid for the contest, but it was by far the hardest-worked of these four:

Supar1337 by 1337k1113rd00d

Map01 Nightmare! Pacifist in 0:07

Old time: 0:07, but recorded with Legacy. So this "improves" by being recorded with the authentic Doom2.exe behaviour. It's possible that 0:07 is optimal. The old Legacy 0:07 was the first demo I ever released, in August 2002. See the txt for a lot of waffle about it.

supanp07.zip

Edited by Grazza : typo