Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
unerxai

Your Top 5 Doom II maps

Recommended Posts

  1. map10 Refueling Base
  2. map11 '0' of Destruction!
  3. map16 Suburbs
  4. map25 Bloodfalls
  5. map26 The Abandoned Mines

Share this post


Link to post

1. Map27: Monster Condo (easily the best map in the game)

2. Map11: Circle of Death

3. Map29: The Living End

4. Map06: The Crusher

5. Map05: The Waste Tunnels

 

Honorable mentions to Map02-04, Map07, Map15, Map17 and Map28.

Share this post


Link to post

hah hmm my list is the exact same as esselfortium's

 

honorable mentions: the inmost dens, industrial zone

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 7/4/2019 at 10:56 PM, unerxai said:

#1 Nirvana

#2 The Chasm

#3 Downtown

#4 The Inmost Dens

#5 The Crusher

 

EDIT: Only official iwad maps are considered (map01-map33). I guess I forgot to mention this heh.

You've got some unusual taste. Nirvana #1, The Chasm?! A contrarian list, I like it :) What is it you appreciate about Nirvana? Is it just the cool sky? I've got to know!

 

Mine:

 

The Industrial Zone - I was really wowed by this as a kid. It gave me that Phobos Anomaly finale feeling of scale.

Circle of Death - just an awesome layout in my opinion, and great moody visuals in the final area. Plus first Archie iirc.

The Courtyard - I suppose you could see it as a retread of Suburbs, but I love that central fight and the music plus gargoyle faces everywhere gives it a good atmosphere.

Abandoned Mines - I like the way you can see so much around you in the central area. It gives me a good sense of place.

The Living End - A bloody hard level. The oppressive gameplay makes it a perfect penultimate map.  Great build up wending your way around to the central structure too.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, holaareola said:

You've got some unusual taste. Nirvana #1, The Chasm?! A contrarian list, I like it :) What is it you appreciate about Nirvana? Is it just the cool sky? I've got to know!

Everytime I play the entire Doom 2 game (UV/PS) Nirvana is always the map that I have most fun with. The previous map (Gotcha) I don't like very much, and the two ones before it are kinda long and on the grindy side to me (I still like them though), so Nirvana feels short and sweet. I guess it doesn't look very good but the gameplay is fun. I especially like the last part where you have to kill the group of guys on the platform, then lower that platform, take the goodies and use them to kill the guys on the other platform, and so on. It's very satisfying for some reason.

 

The Chasm, well that one isn't that unpopular or contrarian. In fact a few other people picked it too. In The Chasm case it's mostly the looks of it and its atmosphere. It's bizarre and weird, yet atmospheric. It's the kind of stuff I would see as a kid in my nightmares. I feel a lot of people don't care for the Doom 2 soundtrack, and I can see why, but I love the track used in that map (through OPL) and I think it fits perfectly.

 

Fun fact about The Chasm. There used to be a time when I considered disabling vertical mouse movement cheating. I thought "that's just the way the controls are" and using NOVERT felt like a hacky, cheaty thing to do. I was very purist too, only using Doom2.exe to play (not even Chocolate). So everytime I had to play the catwalk section I would switch to keyboard only controls. I had this setup that would allow me to have m+kb and kb only controls at the same time. Eventually I got more sane and started disabling the y axis like everyone else.

Share this post


Link to post
5 minutes ago, unerxai said:

Everytime I play the entire Doom 2 game (UV/PS) Nirvana is always the map that I have most fun with. The previous map (Gotcha) I don't like very much, and the two ones before it are kinda long and on the grindy side to me (I still like them though), so Nirvana feels short and sweet. I guess it doesn't look very good but the gameplay is fun. I especially like the last part where you have to kill the group of guys on the platform, then lower that platform, take the goodies and use them to kill the guys on the other platform, and so on. It's very satisfying for some reason.

 

The Chasm, well that one isn't that unpopular or contrarian. In fact a few other people picked it too. In The Chasm case it's mostly the looks of it and its atmosphere. It's bizarre and weird, yet atmospheric. It's the kind of stuff I would see as a kid in my nightmares. I feel a lot of people don't care for the Doom 2 soundtrack, and I can see why, but I love the track used in that map (through OPL) and I think it fits perfectly.

 

Fun fact about The Chasm. There used to be a time when I considered disabling vertical mouse movement cheating. I thought "that's just the way the controls are" and using NOVERT felt like a hacky, cheaty thing to do. I was very purist too, only using Doom2.exe to play (not even Chocolate). So everytime I had to play the catwalk section I would switch to keyboard only controls. I had this setup that would allow me to have m+kb and kb only controls at the same time. Eventually I got more sane and started disabling the y axis like everyone else.

It's interesting how varied people's tastes are. Nirvana is one of the biggest duds in the set for me. The sky and starting behind the line of imps are the only things I like about it!

 

Re. Chasm. Ah yeah, counting it up you're right. I've always had the impression that The Chasm is widely a groan-inducer -- don't know if I've always been mistaken or its reputation has improved over the years.  For me, it's just the cheesewire parts that do my head in. Some of the traps are nifty and I agree it's one of the weirdest.

 

I can't imagine how much of a pain in the arse those tightropes would be on a mouse without NOVERT.

 

 

Wonder if anyone will mention The Catacombs. I reckon it's one of the most modern-looking levels in Doom2, at least the copy/paste detailing of the first room and the relatively intricate ceiling work in the main intersection. Not much else going for it though...

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2019 at 11:09 PM, holaareola said:

Wonder if anyone will mention The Catacombs. 

I did.  

*adjusts tie*

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2019 at 7:09 AM, holaareola said:

Re. Chasm. Ah yeah, counting it up you're right. I've always had the impression that The Chasm is widely a groan-inducer -- don't know if I've always been mistaken or its reputation has improved over the years.  For me, it's just the cheesewire parts that do my head in. Some of the traps are nifty and I agree it's one of the weirdest.

 

I think it always has and will be a polarizing map. I'm really fascinated by the speedrunning history of it...

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

In order of appearance,

  •  Underhalls - Gives you the super shotgun, and then gives you an interesting layout densely packed to the brim with low-tier enemies to discover the true glory of having two barrels. Endlessly fun.
  •  Tricks and Traps - This one is just so strikingly unusual, and very memorable. And I loved that I had to learn the hard way, that after everything, I can get trapped in a pit of lava and die a miserable death just trying to get to the exit.
  •  The Pit - First use of my favourite Doom 2 MIDI, and some interesting fights (the rocket launcher trap always makes me sweat!)
  •  Industrial Zone - I just love the scale of this map, even if it doesn’t look like a city. It just feels impressive.
  •  The Living End - Probably my favourite map in the IWAD. The whole thing, right from the opening visual as you lower into the main area, just looks and feels so menacing. I adore the progression of it. It is easily my favourite map to do a pistol start, and also has my favourite Cyberdemon fight.

There are several other maps I really enjoy, as well (such as The Courtyard, Inmost Dens, etc.) Despite the hate that Doom 2 can get, it's really not that bad, and made a huge impression on me in the 90's.

Edited by RonnieJamesDiner

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2019 at 10:37 PM, unerxai said:

Nirvana feels short and sweet. I guess it doesn't look very good but the gameplay is fun. I especially like the last part where you have to kill the group of guys on the platform, then lower that platform, take the goodies and use them to kill the guys on the other platform, and so on. It's very satisfying for some reason.

I agree with this dude.

Share this post


Link to post

There is very little love for The Crusher or the Waste Tunnels (or The Gantlet and Focus). I thought these maps are much better than the nonsense comes later.

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, Focus is cool.  How many other IWAD levels starts you off at a diagonal to the start room and map?

Share this post


Link to post

Well...

1.Wolfenstein(MAP31)

2.Groove(MAP32)

3.Hangar(E1M1)

4.Warrens(E3M9)

5.Entryway(MAP01)

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

In the order that they came to mind:

 

Circle of Death/'O' of Destruction

The Living End

Refuelling Base (suck my British spelling!)

Downtown (I love the multiplayer Cyberdemon)

Tenements (multiplayer Cyberdemon trapping my brother and I at the start of the map is a fun memory)

 

To be honest, the multiplayer Cyberdemons made Doom II for me.

Share this post


Link to post

in no particular order

 

(ah gee i forget the names)

 

> that techbase one one with the cyberdemon in it

> chasm (its good, screw you)

> the living end

> the one with the...the pit? the library one? you know the one i mean like the hell one with that giant acid pit and lots of bookshelves. its layout is mesmerizing and oddly dreamlike

> uuuuuh

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/9/2019 at 11:09 PM, holaareola said:

I've always had the impression that The Chasm is widely a groan-inducer

 


I will happily admit to being among this crowd. I fucking HATE The Chasm!! Easily my least favourite Doom II map lol

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, EtherBot said:

> chasm (its good, screw you)


> chasm (its shit, screw you sideways and dry)

 

*kidding, I'm drunk, doom building and trolling. <3 xo

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, ZionDoomer said:

2.Groove(MAP32)

Hans Groove, the grooviest of the nazis turned into a cyberdemon.

Share this post


Link to post

Top 5:

1) The Spirit World

2) The Chasm

3) Suburbs

4) Underhalls

5) The Living End

 

Though to be fair, I enjoy EVERY map in Doom II. Yes, including maps like Refueling Base and The Pit.

Share this post


Link to post

There are a lot of Doom 2 maps that weren't that good, I'm surprised that some of you like The Chasm, I thought that The Chasm is a Trainwreck with their Narrow Ledges, I remember Dying a lot in this map and I always forget to Save before I enter the area when I was a Teen.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)

"Refueling Base" is such a weird title. That map has no coherent looks, it's not a relatable place in any way, and there is no such thing as "refueling base" found there. While these titles appear regularly in Doom I (yeah, even episode 1's samey levels had those names), Doom II steered clear of this, except this Shores of Hell type leftover by Tom Hall.

Share this post


Link to post

Gotcha
The Living End
The Abandoned Mines 
The Spirit World
Monster Condo

Share this post


Link to post
On 7/17/2019 at 10:14 PM, eulo said:

"Refueling Base" is such a weird title. That map has no coherent looks, it's not a relatable place in any way, and there is no such thing as "refueling base" found there. While these titles appear regularly in Doom I (yeah, even episode 1's samey levels had those names), Doom II steered clear of this, except this Shores of Hell type leftover by Tom Hall.

It kicks some ass, tho

Share this post


Link to post

Hangar is even less clear as a hangar to me personally, in fact it's actually rarer for maps names to be relevant now that I think about it.. "Circle of Death" and "Spawning Vats" are sorta rarities in that there's actually something in the map that clearly makes it relate to the title.

Share this post


Link to post

My top 5 misused map names:

 

1. Refueling Base

2. Military Base

3. Command Center

4. Hangar

5. Mt. Erebus/The Citadel

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Doomkid said:

"Circle of Death" and "Spawning Vats" are sorta rarities in that there's actually something in the map that clearly makes it relate to the title.

Where are the 'spawning vats' then? And what the hell IS a spawning vat?

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Maximum Matt said:

Where are the 'spawning vats' then? And what the hell IS a spawning vat?

I always assumed that these were the vats. I am guessing the demons subverted the vats to create "spawn" demons.

Screenshot_Doom_20190719_202001.png

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×